: 96 Trans Filter & Fluid Change ?????

v90hamm77
01-04-09, 04:35 AM
I have a 96 FWB with 135K on the dash. I bought the car at 90K and changfed the trans fluid at 100K. I'm thinking its time for it again just as preventative maintenance, but no shop around here will do it because they say with those miles there's a chance of causing a problem to the transmission by changing the fluid. I never heard that before. They're saying if it aint broke don't fix. Any thoughts! It changes out fine!

96Fleetwood
01-04-09, 10:13 AM
Some mechanics say not to change it with high mileage, but it depends how the car was maintained. If you were doing it religiously since new, then go ahead and do the filter and fluid. They are afraid that it wasn't maintained then there is a bunch of debris/buildup on the internal trans parts. If they do the flush/filter, this will remove that debris and maybe cause slipping.

FYI, I changed the filter/fluid in my 1996 on March 2008; the car had 90K miles on it. By July 2008, my transmission was slipping... which was bad, but I saw it as a reason to upgrade ;)

v90hamm77
01-04-09, 11:28 AM
Thanks 96! I didn't buy the car new, but the people I bought it from claimed the car was well taken care of. It seems to be so far. I don't run it hard everyday or dog it out. I changed it 35K miles ago. I think I'm going to go ahead and change it one last time and see what happens. I guess its a chance I'm going to take.

delzy
01-04-09, 02:49 PM
Just drop the pan and replace the filter and fluid that comes out. Don't do the flush! That's what stirs up debris. The other think you can do is drain about 2-3 quarts at a time from the cooler hose by starting the car for a few seconds and replace. Do this a few times if you don't think you need to replace the filter.