: Crash the Northstar meet?

N0DIH
01-04-09, 02:35 AM
Come and crash the 1/4 mi dragstrip party with the LT1 guys? Show the front drivers who rules the 1/4 mile?

Just come and show off with them!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/155783-1st-annual-northstar-meet.html

90Brougham350
01-04-09, 11:00 AM
Let's hope they set it up with Nick's annual Midwest meet. Tom, I hope you can make it this year, I still owe you a beer or two for all the help you gave me on my 90.

Brian

97EldoCoupe
01-04-09, 12:20 PM
We'll stomp all over your LT1's.....

Actally I know, the LT1 is a very capable engine and relatively easy to modify.

Even bone stock they have tons of torque.

Come and join the party!

ShadowLvr400
01-04-09, 03:52 PM
Hmmmm would be nice... I wonder if I'll have nay vacation time at work by then... Though I think I'd have to cheat and give the Fleetwood a little spray, duck into the 13's.

Honestly, a 50 shot would probably be enough for a 13.9

N0DIH
01-04-09, 04:13 PM
We can bring out a few V4P's and stomp on the NorthStars.... :) LT1, PCM tune, factory 3.42's, and an Eaton posi....

CadillacSTS42005
01-04-09, 04:34 PM
lol
not stoping my N*

N0DIH
01-04-09, 06:14 PM
I hope so, would be cool.

Gotta show these wrong wheel drivers how to launch.... :thepan:

Depending on when it is, maybe have some Olds 307 tuning ability by then.... Can do LT1's and L05's now..... And most any other GM car/truck 96-up (non N*, yet...)

Let's hope they set it up with Nick's annual Midwest meet. Tom, I hope you can make it this year, I still owe you a beer or two for all the help you gave me on my 90.

Brian

97EldoCoupe
01-04-09, 07:34 PM
I usually stick up for Northstars but I love the SB Chevy and SB Olds as well. I shouldn't say it, but why not stick a 403 Olds in one of those old Fleetwoods before the meet?

eyekandyboats.inc
01-04-09, 08:38 PM
i want to strip my 94 eldo and throw the body on a full chassis off a car with a LS series engine or something similar and make it rwd and just straight up sleeper.. i would LOVE to do that

N0DIH
01-06-09, 07:01 PM
If anyone has a spare NorthStar, I could use one to toss in my trunk for extra traction....

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-07-09, 05:57 PM
^ Haha. This is Brian from the Midwest Meet last year. Bone stock LT1 FWB with 176,000 miles. The second run he warmed up the tires and didn't spin them off the line. Ran a 15.33.

Why you gotta be so hateful to the FWD people? :) In the snow I bet I can run circles around you. :histeric:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4lILVTKA9zo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4lILVTKA9zo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

90Brougham350
01-07-09, 06:04 PM
LOL, that was a painful run. Once I got the rear tires to 30 and 26 psi, I launched decently. I should have taken the spare tire out, among other crap in the trunk. I bet I could have run a 15.1 with a great launch and a little less gas in the tank.

Brian

N0DIH
01-07-09, 06:04 PM
My 94 Fleetwood is far better in the snow than my wrong wheel drive Buick Park Ave... Posi and snow tires ROCK!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-07-09, 08:43 PM
I hate to say it, but a stock LT1 FWB is gonna lose in a 1/4 mile to an early Northstar STS or ETC. Just as long as it's got the HO "L37" Northstar and is OBD 1, it'll walk 'em. Jason can back me up on this, but I believe they were a 14.5-14.7 car, stock.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-07-09, 08:56 PM
Oh by the way guys, I've been doing some modifications to my Mercedes, and I think I can race you now and not be embarrassed. ;)

7VfmKqEpjFY

N0DIH
01-07-09, 10:20 PM
Nice run!

Oh by the way guys, I've been doing some modifications to my Mercedes, and I think I can race you now and not be embarrassed. ;)

7VfmKqEpjFY

N0DIH
01-07-09, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't say that much.... The launch is critical.

What I found: 2001 Cadillac Seville STS 6.5 14.8

My 94 Fleetwood with my 3.08's in there (3.42's out of the car right now) comes in at 15.2@95 mph. So with 3.42's, it is going to be VERY close. And that is with my FW with a soft zero wheelspin launch. I had to baby it because my 1/4mile calculator is dependant on zero wheelspin to be dead on accurate.

N* has an edge in weight and higher upper rpm power, but lacks bottom end in comparison. The FW has a ton of weight, but a very fat broad powerband, but come 5000-5400 rpm, its all over. It will rev to 6000, but the cam is sooo small, there is just nothing up there.

I hate to say it, but a stock LT1 FWB is gonna lose in a 1/4 mile to an early Northstar STS or ETC. Just as long as it's got the HO "L37" Northstar and is OBD 1, it'll walk 'em. Jason can back me up on this, but I believe they were a 14.5-14.7 car, stock.

Dang it guys you are going to make me put my 3.42's back in and a fresh set of valve springs! Can't let the N* guys talk trash!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-07-09, 10:34 PM
Sorry Chad, but the Americans still have ya beat. :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cCb-JjbnUNA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cCb-JjbnUNA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

N0DIH
01-07-09, 10:59 PM
Who's is that one? Sounds like a cam swap car with 3.73s or so.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cCb-JjbnUNA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cCb-JjbnUNA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-08-09, 12:20 AM

Well that's fast but how do you know if he sped up the video? You can't hear any sound so it makes one suspicious.

But it's not stock too... I meant stock for stock... :lildevil: :)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-08-09, 02:05 PM
Well that's fast but how do you know if he sped up the video? You can't hear any sound so it makes one suspicious.

But it's not stock too... I meant stock for stock... :lildevil: :)

There is audio. I hear a very nicely cammed LT1 under the hood with a great sounding exhaust to top it off. :)

Hey N0DIH, question for you. Is the car in the video I posted shifting at the right times? He is in second almost all the way to 90. Hell, my car is in 2nd by 30 mph and 4th by 60 mph, even under full acceleration.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-08-09, 06:15 PM
There is audio. I hear a very nicely cammed LT1 under the hood with a great sounding exhaust to top it off. :)

WTH, I must have had it on mute or something. I hear it now.

It's nice, but it would sound better with 32 valves. :D

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-08-09, 08:28 PM
It's nice, but it would sound better with 32 valves. :D

Aye, but it would sound terrible choking on coolant. :)

In all reality my dream car someday would be either a '96 DeVille Concours or an '95-'96 FWB. At the moment I do not have the money for either and I would want them both fully loaded, moonroof and all. Plus, if I did find a nice Concours I would not have the money for any unexpected repairs. I know it does not happen to all of them but quite a few do fail. I know a guy around here who has a '99 DeVille with 40K miles that he inherited when his father passed away. By 42,000 it had bad head gaskets and Cadillac replaced the entire engine.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-08-09, 11:17 PM
Imagine a 32V DOHC Cadillac 8.2L

Oh sweet Jesus... :cloud9: :drool:

N0DIH
01-15-09, 08:30 PM
Depending on gearing of course, but mine shifts WOT:

1->2 43 mph
2->3 80 mph
3->4 120 mph (Speed limiter comes in at 108 stock too, but... never mind...)

With 3.08's....
With 3.42's (stock)

1->2 38 mph
2->3 67 mph
3->4 255 mph

I think what I typically kept in my car with 3.42's is:

1->2 41 mph
2->3 83 mph
3->4 122 mph

Gotta check, been a while and I archived my 3.42 tune....till I get the 3.42's back in the car. Still toying with putting in 3.90's or 4.10's....

In reality, a stock valve sprung LT1 really should be not exceeding 5400 rpm for a shift, in my experience, the car slowed down going upwards as high as 6000 rpm. Just wasn't something those soft springs allowed. Stiffer valve springs, looser converter and larger cam, the iron headed LT1 would be an absolute animal.

Now the 2.56 cars, sheesh, they would be just getting into 2nd @ 50 mph and 3rd around 90 mph.

I would be willing to bet a 3.42 geared Fleetwood starting in second gear would probably just as fast as 2.56 geared FW starting in first down the quarter mile....

Hey N0DIH, question for you. Is the car in the video I posted shifting at the right times? He is in second almost all the way to 90. Hell, my car is in 2nd by 30 mph and 4th by 60 mph, even under full acceleration.

N0DIH
01-15-09, 08:37 PM
Not to dis the Devilles, but a friend of mine had a 96 Deville and compared to my 94 Fleetwood, his felt cheap and small. I just didn't like it. My mom's 97 Deville is FAR nicer of a car, they did bring a lot of the FW quality (look, feel, solidness, materials) to the Deville in 97. Probably afraid to lose the FW customers to other brands.....

Aye, but it would sound terrible choking on coolant. :)

In all reality my dream car someday would be either a '96 DeVille Concours or an '95-'96 FWB. At the moment I do not have the money for either and I would want them both fully loaded, moonroof and all. Plus, if I did find a nice Concours I would not have the money for any unexpected repairs. I know it does not happen to all of them but quite a few do fail. I know a guy around here who has a '99 DeVille with 40K miles that he inherited when his father passed away. By 42,000 it had bad head gaskets and Cadillac replaced the entire engine.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-15-09, 10:47 PM
See now I think that the build quality on my old '95 was fantastic. It was easily as good as Brian's FWB at the Midwest Meet last year. Fit and finish was nice and the materials felt top notch. I think the '85 through about '91 DeVilles have some of the least luxurious looking interiors. Honestly, my Fleetwood does not seem like it cost should have $29K back in 1988, but that is what the original owner paid for it. Although the '91-'93 DeVilles have the same interior Cadillac seemed to improve on it those years. Fit and finish is better and the materials seem to be nicer, not as cheap feeling/looking as what is in my Fleetwood.