: question about frame

csbuckn
01-03-09, 01:44 PM
So I've been looking for aftermarket parts for the broughams and most places dont list any. When I look under a box caprice, I find plenty. Is the box caprice(~87-90) the same frame type as the 80-92 brougham? We have B-body frames, correct? I'm looking for aftermarket suspension parts, exhaust, motor mounts, etc... So will most caprice parts fit on the brougham.

jayoldschool
01-03-09, 02:35 PM
No, we have D body frames. The only difference is really that the D is longer than the B. So, all the suspension stuff will work. Springs, control arms, shocks, etc. Exhaust will work, but will need to be lengthened in the middle.

Interestingly, the D and B frames from 77-96 actually began life as the 1973 Monte Carlo/Chevelle platform! So, if you find stuff for those, it may work, too. Good old GM. This is why parts for our cars are dirt cheap. They fit a couple million cars...

csbuckn
01-03-09, 06:05 PM
So the caprice is a D-body?

jayoldschool
01-03-09, 06:58 PM
No, the Caprice (and the Roadmaster, and the Olds Custom Cruiser, and the Pontiac Safari, and the Pontiac Bonneville/Parisienne, and the Impala, and the Bel Air, etc etc) are B bodys. D bodies are Cadillacs with the longer wheelbase.

My_favorite_Brougham
01-04-09, 11:48 PM
Quick question. What about the Olds 98 and Buick Electra/Park Avenue? The armrests, doors, etc. all seem to be d-body stuff, but is it really a d-body? I think there's similar confusion about the official frame of the 91-96 Broughams.

sven914
01-05-09, 12:23 AM
The 98, Park Avenue, and Electra were C body cars. The Brougham is a D body.

csbuckn
01-05-09, 01:52 AM
So which one of these cars have a posi rear end that would bolt right up? I'm thinking a caprice cop car... Also, If I found a rear end and the bolt pattern was not the 5x5, what car has the same size diameter and thickness front rotor but with a smaller bolt pattern that would fit on the brougham?

Sorry for all the questions but my rear end is whinning so might as well get a posi in there and I would like the smaller bolt pattern for a bigger rim selection.

VortecCaddy
01-06-09, 06:33 PM
I always thought our Cadillacs were G bodies.

csbuckn
01-06-09, 08:30 PM
so does anybody know a site that would have pics of the different types of frames?

jayoldschool
01-06-09, 08:46 PM
I always thought our Cadillacs were G bodies.

No, definitely D. The G body: 78-88 Monte Carlo, Malibu, Regal, GN, Grand Prix, Cutlass, and El Camino.

VortecCaddy
01-07-09, 05:44 PM
That is good to know. I tell you what though, the G-body dual exhaust kit that I put on mine was a near perfect fit!!

sven914
01-10-09, 01:24 AM
If you look hard enough, you can find the Cadillac rear end youíre looking for. In 1992, the Brougham was offered with an optional, limited slip differential. There must be at least one in a junk yard, which hasnít been harvested.

There are no pictures on this page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_platforms), but it offers an extensive library of information on every GM chassis, and links to other pages, which may have pictures.