: Clear front film/bra... choices? opinions?

Ketzer
01-03-09, 10:22 AM
I looked around at a few companies that make the patterns, obviously nothing for the V yet. I've used it on a couple of cars and liked it. My wifes mini doesn't have it and is beat all to hell on the front. I really think it is a good idea if the car is gonna see some use.

For those that aren't sure what I'm talking about, it is pieces of thin, clear, vynil like material that has been cut to fit specific painted parts of the car that see the most road damage. It applies like window tint and can be removed (not easily). It stays clear and can be waxed and cleaned just like painted surfaces. The film will show a nick from a rock but it usually only damages the film, not the paint.

GMX322V S/C
01-03-09, 01:03 PM
Xpel has the patterns; I'm getting that and tint done this morning. I double-checked the patterns with the owner of the firm yesterday and they're clearly specified for the 2009 CTS-V. I'm in SoCal, so that doesn't help you, but the patterns are computer-based and the film is cut on-site: http://www.tintplus.com/xpel.cfm --maybe try looking for an Xpel-authorized dealer?

Ketzer
01-03-09, 03:58 PM
It looks like you can buy the pre-cut pieces direct from Xpel, but I sent them an email to check.

Thanks!

CIWS
01-03-09, 06:03 PM
If you can find an experienced installer they can custom fit it for you as well. I know one around here, but unfortunately that doesn't help you in TN :(

gotapex
01-03-09, 08:21 PM
Go custom if you can find a good installer. They can roll the edges around the panel, so you don't see the lines at all. Pre-cut looks horrid.

estatesatty
01-03-09, 09:24 PM
I have 5 cars with a clear bra on them. The absolute key is to have a a god installer do it. I had one of my cars destroyed by a bad installer. Basically, the person was cutting the product on the car and there were tiny, residual, razor marks all over the car. Ask the installer to see other cars he/she has done. If it is honda civics and toyota tercels, go elsewhere. Also, look at the different companies like x-pel because they can direct you to their master installers. Last, make sure the person you talk to is actually the installer doing your car. Do not accept an associate, partner, etc. Bottom line, properly installed the clear bra is expensive for a full kit ($900 +), but very well worth it.

CSX
01-04-09, 12:31 AM
Definitely go with a custom installer. I've had a clear bra on my Trans-Am for 5 years and 50k miles, and there's nary a rock chip to be seen on it. I basically didn't have a choice if I wanted it done right on my car...thanks due to the complex curves of the front end on the 98-02 Trans-Ams, all of the 'kits' were basically crap, and left several areas of the front bumper exposed. I knew that when I law a Lamborghini Gallardo being pulled out of the bay of the shop when I pulled up, they would definitely be working on my car. It would definitely be in your best interest to do a little research on shops in your area. It seems that most places that do clear bras also do tint and vinyl/decal work, if that helps you look around. You may also want to ask reputable paint & body shops who they recommend, as they typically outsource that sort of work.

BelleNBeast2
01-04-09, 10:37 PM
We have the Roadblock installed on our CTS (Black Raven) and SRX (Blue Diamond) through the dealership and love it. The installer did a great job on both of them. We have the front bumper which wraps around to the sides, full hood, door edges and rear bumper which wraps to the top to prevent removing items from back. You cannot notice it until you get right on top of it.

randian
01-05-09, 02:00 AM
Does this kind of product protect against bug juice? We have bugs here in Florida that will eat away your paint if you don't clean them off pronto after they go splat on the front of your car.

CIWS
01-05-09, 08:40 AM
Does this kind of product protect against bug juice? We have bugs here in Florida that will eat away your paint if you don't clean them off pronto after they go splat on the front of your car.

Yes it will.

However if you leave it on the clear material too long the acids in the bug guts can also taint the clear material. In which case you can attempt to use a light scratch remover to polish it off the"clear bra" or if it's too much and it just bugs the hell out of you you can have that section of material removed and replaced, just as you would if it got too beat up by rocks or whatever. The point being the material takes the abuse and saves the paint underneath.

I've had it on my last two Vs and definitely recommend it.

thebigjimsho
01-06-09, 12:33 AM
If you can find an experienced installer they can custom fit it for you as well. I know one around here, but unfortunately that doesn't help you in TN :(True. I had my '04 V done by Venture Tape at their facility in July of '04. They had no template so they custom cut and installed it on mah V. A good installer can do a good custom job for you.

I love my Venture Tape clearbra but they were bought out by 3M. A lot of people love 3M. So I guess that's a no lose.

bruff1977
01-09-09, 10:53 AM
When I was in the process of obtaining a V2, I contacted a local installer. He mentioned that the PPF can be installed immediately after delivery, with new paint being cured straight from the factory... I've read some articles stating your paint needs time to cure before the film is applied. Either way, ensure your paint is ready to accept the application...

randian
01-09-09, 04:07 PM
Since the CTS has a very slanted hood, would this stuff have to be applied to the hood as well as the front end?

gotapex
01-09-09, 06:05 PM
Since the CTS has a very slanted hood, would this stuff have to be applied to the hood as well as the front end?

You definitely want the hood done.

Side note: I believe there are 60" rolls now, so the whole hood may be able to be done without a line.

randian
01-10-09, 02:36 AM
By implication, the A-pillars and mirrors too?

CIWS
01-10-09, 09:44 AM
The hood and mirrors are usually done together.

Some opt to get the front part of the roof done as well. I've seen kits that are for the a pillar and front roof.

As it turns out I could have used the tops of the C pillars getting covered as the passenger side especially has become aerodynamically scratch by gravel,leaves, or whatever passing over the car.

CIWS
01-10-09, 09:47 AM

Side note: I believe there are 60" rolls now, so the whole hood may be able to be done without a line.

On the CTS-V they did 18" up on the hood (wasn't quite enough for some rocks). When I had the STS-V done I had him come up to 24", so far that's worked fined. But he did say he could do the entire hood for a little extra.

http://www.ciws.net/clearbra/clearbra5.jpg

This guy is here in the D/FW area if anyone here is considering it.

http://www.speedshieldusa.com/

gotapex
01-11-09, 03:12 PM
I think the best thing about going custom is the ability to get it done without lines. Back when I had my wife's M5 done, they didn't have rolls long enough, so the hood had a line. It looks HORRIBLE, eventhough the film goes almost all the way back to the windshield. You can see the line in the picture here:

http://www.nobleforums.com/images/onyxm400/bmw/clearbra/hood.jpg

However, for the quarter panels, all 4 doors, bumpers, etc, they could wrap all the way around.

Here is the bottom inside edge of the door. See how the film is pulled around and wrapped? That means you can't really tell there's any on the doors. Just gives you some key and scratch resistance.

http://www.nobleforums.com/images/onyxm400/bmw/clearbra/dooredge1.jpg

Entire door is done, right into the edges of the handles. On the handle itself, they put a strip across:

http://www.nobleforums.com/images/onyxm400/bmw/clearbra/handles.jpg

On the quarter panel, the vent is removed, and the film tucked behind, so no lines show:

http://www.nobleforums.com/images/onyxm400/bmw/clearbra/quartervent.jpg

On the front bumper, again everything goes to the edges, and the film is pulled tight around the curves. Headlights are done out to the edges too.

http://www.nobleforums.com/images/onyxm400/bmw/clearbra/headlights5.jpg

One day I'll get that hood redone.