: replace or rebuild???? northstar

star light 01
01-02-09, 10:02 PM
who here believes in the longivity of the northstar motors, i have a 01 dhs w/ blown head gaskets and a bad pan leak, standard for 120k, i no i can do the time serts or studs for the head gasket fix labor and parts for about 2500(not milling heads if not warped).... keep in mind thats a 90 day waranty.on a 120k motor timechains block rods rings ect... but i can but a long block valve covers to pan all brand new for 4600 w/ a 3year 100k waranty w/ time serts installed parts and labor, other then the problems i stated what else went wrong w/ northstars dont want to spend the money if i dont have to however i dont want time chains to go out in 6 months ect other problems, please help w/ input ideas and so on....

Ranger
01-02-09, 11:21 PM
All it needs is head gaskets. No need to mill the heads or worry about anything else. I don't know where you are, but if you're near Ontario Canada, 97eldocoupe (Jake) will do it for $1500 with a 3 year, unlimited warranty I believe.

97EldoCoupe
01-03-09, 10:29 AM
Head Gasket Repairs:
31,000 miles or 2 years warranty for $1500
unlimited mileage, 5 years warranty for $2000
Covers head gaskets/studs- guaranteed during this timeframe that the head gaskets will seal

Complete Reconditioned Engines
fully inspected for wear, cleaned, head gaskets replaced/block is studded
new case/oil seals as well as crank seals
3 year/unlimited mileage warranty covers head gaskets and internal failure

star light 01
01-03-09, 09:08 PM
ft forth texas not near canada anyone do it closeer

star light 01
01-03-09, 09:10 PM
need to make a up my mind on what im going to do by monday car is down not drivabe

97EldoCoupe
01-04-09, 12:46 AM
Find a mechanic that can install a set of studs and do the HGs.....

Or, do it yourself and save....

I'm working on a program on my laptop that will allow me to do a HG job over the internet.....:stirpot::histeric:

[NortHStaR]
01-04-09, 02:25 AM
"I'm working on a program on my laptop that will allow me to do a HG job over the internet....."

Maybe just a step by step dvd... start to finish each bolt each wire include instruction on sealing the lower end, that woulda been amazing for my HG job and Im sure there would be others interested....

Just a thought...

star light 01
01-04-09, 11:45 AM
thats fine, my thing is this, the labor is 1500 plus parts, not having the heads checked (warped) or new timeing chains or pan gasket replaced all 4 a 90 day waranty maybe 3k give or take, or get a new motor parts and labor 3yrs or 100k everything new top to bottom installed 4 4600 a little more but peice of mind, or then head gs. and oil leaks what else gose wrong with the motors, just scared ill be here in six months w/ no wananty, please chim in w/ ur opinion and 2 cents

97EldoCoupe
01-04-09, 01:27 PM
Star Light I wish I were out there. I'd love to help you out.

What if you only had to drive 344 miles to Gaines County Texas to have it fixed with the studs and at least a 2 year/31,000 mile warranty?

Just a thought---- I might be able to set something up.

star light 01
01-04-09, 05:36 PM
the car would not make it, oil leaks out as fast as u put it in... and gets hotabout 20-30 min of run time, im still lookin around, down here by me

tateos
01-05-09, 01:21 PM
I believe most of us that have replaced the head gaskets have done no "hard" repairs to the engine other than to the block threads. No milling the heads, no grinding the valves, no replacing the cams or chains or pistons or bearings - we just re-assembled everything as-is, and the engines have lasted many more miles with no problems. In my case, I did replace the oil level sensor and rear main seal and oilpan gasket because they were leaking, but that was about it.

I think your original question was repair or replace - it depends on how long you want to keep the car and if you are willing to gamble.

star light 01
01-12-09, 08:06 PM
well i bought a nwe long block from valve covers to pan and might part w/ the old one
whats it worth, (it a y 275hp motor from a 01 dhs w/ 120k blown head gaskets and leaky oil pan (i have new gasket witch come w/ it) the motor runs great when its not gettin hot.... the buy would be from pan to covers as is
if not intrested just let me no what its worth

Destroyer
01-12-09, 10:34 PM
All it needs is head gaskets. No need to mill the heads or worry about anything else. I don't know where you are, but if you're near Ontario Canada, 97eldocoupe (Jake) will do it for $1500 with a 3 year, unlimited warranty I believe.And certs or studs, don't forget that........:annoyed:

star light 01
01-14-09, 09:55 PM
that is true i just want to no what its worth any body??? is it scrap or worth keeping

97EldoCoupe
01-14-09, 11:37 PM
IF YOU PLAN TO SCRAP THAT CAR.......give me a call !!!!!!

The newest Cadillac I've scrapped is a '97. Anything newer than that is worth too much to scrap. An '01? Fix it and sell it or fix it and drive it.

codewize
01-18-09, 01:42 PM
I think by saying this I'm agreeing with most of the posts here.

If it's only the HG job you need then there's no point in replacing the engine. If the oil pan is leaking and it's not the half-case then replace the pan gasket while it's out for HG work.

You'll end up in a good place with the original engine.

I don't think we know of any N* that actually needed an 'overhaul' so to speak, but if that were the case then I think I would have to say replace.

From what we know, aside from HG problems and oil leaks, I would say the N* is very reliable and is good for many miles if maintained properly.

star light 01
01-18-09, 08:32 PM
will i bought a new long block, i just dont no if the other is worth keeping as a spare of send it back for a core chime in w/ ur .02$

Ranger
01-18-09, 09:33 PM
If you have a use for it, it is worth keeping. Once it has the gaskets replaced and is Timeserted or studded, it should last a long, long time.

chubbyranger
01-18-09, 11:28 PM
will i bought a new long block, i just dont no if the other is worth keeping as a spare of send it back for a core chime in w/ ur .02$

How much is the core charge? Go to www.car-part.com and price N* motors locally. You'll be surprised what they're worth. Do the math after that.

star light 01
01-19-09, 09:41 PM
the new block has a crack im about burnt out on this car i hope my warranty takes care of me

97EldoCoupe
01-19-09, 10:57 PM
What? A new block has a crack? Where?

97EldoCoupe
01-19-09, 11:01 PM
I'm tellin ya star light, fix your old engine. You'll be way ahead $$$ wise. $4600 for a cracked engine? Wow- I certainly hope that your warranty covers that.

star light 01
01-21-09, 01:28 AM
its on the bottom crank case, they shiped out a new on today, but they said all blocks r presher tested b4 assembly, they think it might be damaged durring shipment, and they said they would reinburse me the labor on instail if it was not droped by macanic ect...
and ur right if u were closer u would have a sale, everyone i talk to says they want to put a low miles junk yard motor w/ no warranty 4 3k,
thats not a good deal, 4 350 core i wonder if mine is worth keeping, the labor factor is out of the equation now, and i could practice on it out of the car, but once i fix it what am i goin to do w/ it any ideas (maybe put it n a 60's bug w willy bars ha ha)

mealticket
01-21-09, 11:31 PM
i'm herre in MO and just put a 47000 mile engine in my 00deville.
Total cost was around $2200...including labor.....just look harder and return that block.
$1500 for my engine....and 700$ cash labor on the side from a certifeid mercedes/cadillac mechanic.....engine drop to new enige in was 5 days!!

tateos
01-23-09, 01:40 PM
i'm herre in MO and just put a 47000 mile engine in my 00deville.
Total cost was around $2200...including labor.....just look harder and return that block.
$1500 for my engine....and 700$ cash labor on the side from a certifeid mercedes/cadillac mechanic.....engine drop to new enige in was 5 days!!

I did that - I replaced my original '97 engine with 89K miles on it with a blown HG with a used '97 engine with 69K on it - that engine blew the HG 23K later - better to fix rather than replace the engine IMHO. I paid $2,000 3 years ago for a used engine and trans (P0741 problem on my original), installed. I won't say it wasn't worth it, but if I had known the process the first time, I would have done the insert repair the first time, like I did the second time.

star light 01
01-24-09, 10:40 PM
well the second engine has a bad oil leak from the head i dont no what to do i have about 5200$ tied up in it now and still wont run im out of patience with the people, i shoud just rebuild mine not sure if i can get all my money back from these people i will hear from them on monday

Destroyer
01-25-09, 09:20 PM
Get your money back and sell the car "as-is". Don't scrap it, it is worth something even with a motor needing HG's. That is what I did and to me it was worth the loss of $$$$$ just to get the junker out of my garage.

Heaven in 1997
01-25-09, 09:28 PM
Hey Starlight,

I'm in the exact same situation you are in. HG blown on the 1997 STS I bought, and I have been quoted 2K to repair the heads and gaskets. however, with over 100K on the motor, I don't think I will be able to depend on the motor internals for another 70K or so.

Alas, I am going to spend the 3K for a new long block from Accurate Engine in Michigan, and have it installed locally. At least that's my plan. I have been reading countless stories about these HG failures and don't want it done and have something else go wrong.

Yes, I will sink another 2K into it, but better to have a sound engine and not nickel and dime me later.

Let me know how your story turns out..........will keep you posted on mine......Best, Heaven in 1997

zonie77
01-26-09, 01:39 AM
Hey Starlight,

I'm in the exact same situation you are in. HG blown on the 1997 STS I bought, and I have been quoted 2K to repair the heads and gaskets. however, with over 100K on the motor, I don't think I will be able to depend on the motor internals for another 70K or so.

Alas, I am going to spend the 3K for a new long block from Accurate Engine in Michigan, and have it installed locally. At least that's my plan. I have been reading countless stories about these HG failures and don't want it done and have something else go wrong.

Yes, I will sink another 2K into it, but better to have a sound engine and not nickel and dime me later.

Let me know how your story turns out..........will keep you posted on mine......Best, Heaven in 1997

N*'s go 250K without a problem (except HG's). These are not the engines of the 60's. Rebuilding one with 100K on it is a waste of money!

tateos
01-28-09, 05:10 PM
:yeah:.... unless it has been abused or shows obvious signs of wear or failure

zonie77
01-28-09, 09:58 PM
Sometimes I get tired of typing the same things multiple times ( I truly don't know how Ranger does it!) so I give short answers, especially when I'm in a hurry.

If the engine is running well with the exception of the HG's it will run the same way after you fix the HG's. New engines easily go 200K with reasonable oil changes.

If you have 100K on it it should be good for at least 100K more. :D