: Top Gear Triple Review: CTS-V, ZR1, Dodge Challenger

sefa01
01-02-09, 01:11 PM
YouTube - Top Gear - Corvette ZR1&Dodge Challenger &Cadillac CTS-V [Part 1 of 4]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjTWI...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUsr7...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Ftv...eature=related

Looks like their happy, so happy in fact that....

YouTube - Top Gear Corvette ZR1, Lotec Sirius, GYM Car, GT-R FIA, ...

JEM
01-02-09, 02:19 PM
Hypothetically, of course, and without regard to applicable laws, one looking for the full episode watchable somewhere other than a Youtube mailslot might find oneself blundering around some theoretical BitTorrent search site (that of course I have no personal knowledge of) for what I've seen referred to as season 12 episode 2, some claim this can be found with a search for TopGear S12E02. I've also heard that that the road (and mall, and assault landing) test of the new Euro Focus, a particular piece of video that those who have seen it claim is a must-see, can be found in episode 6. Once again, no personal knowledge of course.

If one prefers to check the official TopGear site and twiddle their thumbs for a good long time waiting for the Beeb to make it available in a form you can buy, they're at http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/

N8dawg
01-03-09, 02:51 AM
try watchtopgear.net

CIWS
01-03-09, 08:58 AM
Right here mates, Season 12 - Episode 2

http://hessmo.com/Hessmo/TG_Season_12.html

JEM
01-03-09, 11:31 AM
And another site that needs to be checked periodically is http://www.finalgear.com/

GM-4-LIFE
01-03-09, 04:16 PM
I can honestly say that I HATE Top Gear! I mean they are so ANTI-AMERICAN that it makes me sick!

I am a die hard American, I am a die hard American vehicle buyer and I can't stand the way they knock the Cadillac CTS-V which is my favorite car and probably the best built GM Vehicle.

Nothing but a bunch of euro-trash that host and test cars.

Give me a show and I would knock every Jap and Kraut car I got my hands on just to show them that anyone can have a show and knock a product. It's not brain surgery what they do!

Just my opinion on why I NEVER WATCH TOP GEAR and after seeing how that moron commented on the CTS-V when every car magazine praises it makes me see how dumb Top Gear really is!

SG

CIWS
01-03-09, 04:58 PM
I generally like Top Gear, but I didn't care for that episode and the way they chose to show the new V. That said however that episode was going for some entertainment value over their more standard testing regimes. Let Clarkson get one in the U.K. and The Stig to take it around their track and I'm betting they would portray it more accurately.

GM-4-LIFE
01-03-09, 09:01 PM
I generally like Top Gear, but I didn't care for that episode and the way they chose to show the new V. That said however that episode was going for some entertainment value over their more standard testing regimes. Let Clarkson get one in the U.K. and The Stig to take it around their track and I'm betting they would portray it more accurately.

Screw Jeremy with his terrible English sarcasm! It makes me want to punch him square in the face with that stupid look he always makes.

SG

JEM
01-03-09, 10:13 PM
Screw Jeremy with his terrible English sarcasm! It makes me want to punch him square in the face with that stupid look he always makes.

Sounds to me like someone's awfully thin-skinned.

GM-4-LIFE
01-04-09, 12:37 AM
Sounds to me like someone's awfully thin-skinned.

I just hate shows and magazines that have that anti-American car stigma. Why can't they just test vehicles and offer the factual data and an unbiased review?

That's all I am trying to say.

SG

CIWS
01-04-09, 09:14 AM
I just hate shows and magazines that have that anti-American car stigma. Why can't they just test vehicles and offer the factual data and an unbiased review?

That's all I am trying to say.

SG

Clarkson can't be totally biased if he chose an American car as his top pick, right ?

atdeneve
01-04-09, 09:33 AM
Right.

GM-4-LIFE
01-04-09, 11:16 AM
Clarkson can't be totally biased if he chose an American car as his top pick, right ?

I am sorry. I must have missed that.

He picked an American car as his top pick out of the 3 American cars in this comparo or his top pick out of anything European he has ever tested?

SG

jvp
01-04-09, 11:20 AM
He picked an American car as his top pick out of the 3 American cars in this comparo or his top pick out of anything European he has ever tested?

First: Understand that Clarkson's snide comments towards America are meant in fun. He's automotive amusement, not automotive journalism.

Second: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/article5400290.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

jas

concorso
01-04-09, 01:29 PM
I can honestly say that I HATE Top Gear! I mean they are so ANTI-AMERICAN that it makes me sick!

I am a die hard American, I am a die hard American vehicle buyer and I can't stand the way they knock the Cadillac CTS-V which is my favorite car and probably the best built GM Vehicle.

Nothing but a bunch of euro-trash that host and test cars.

Give me a show and I would knock every Jap and Kraut car I got my hands on just to show them that anyone can have a show and knock a product. It's not brain surgery what they do!

Just my opinion on why I NEVER WATCH TOP GEAR and after seeing how that moron commented on the CTS-V when every car magazine praises it makes me see how dumb Top Gear really is!

SG
A real man can entertain others opinions without adopting them.

You say Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson is anti-american. Youre allowed to believe that, but here are a few points to consider.

- If youve bothered to watch any Top Gear, you'll see that they bash all countries and brands. They've had episodes dedicated to saying how horrible British Leyland was and how shitty Mercedes has become. If you think theyre hard on the US, you should hear what they say about the French, Germans, Australians, etc

- Top Gear has named as many American cars "Car of the Year" as German, Italian, and Japanese.

- Richard Hammond has 2 muscle cars in his garage.

- James May said that only 2 cars he's driven on Top Gear have tempted him enough to drive fast, the Bugatti Veyron and the Cadillac CTS-V. Thats pretty good company.

- Jeremy Clarkson has owned a Ford GT, Ford Mondeo ST220, Ford Focus ST, and has named the CTS-V as his Car of the Year. He's also said that the Chrysler Sebring is arguably the worst car on the road. Is he really that wrong?

- MotorTrend, a good american magazine, named the Nissan GT-R as its car of the year.

IF you really love cars, youre missing out by not watching this show.

darjae
01-04-09, 01:42 PM
Jeremy Clarkson has owned a Ford GT, Ford Mondeo ST220, Ford Focus ST, and has named the CTS-V as his Car of the Year. He's also said that the Chrysler Sebring is arguably the worst car on the road. Is he really that wrong?

First of all, I love the show and you're right on about needing to watch more of it to understand it. They bash things on cars of all makes and models. Usually with good reason.

Just quibbling I guess, But, Clarkson chose the ZR1 as his car of the year:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/article5400290.ece?token=null&offset=12&page=2

...still American and a close cousin of the V2.

marktanner
01-04-09, 02:02 PM
I( hope everybody got to see all four segments of the review. The links to the last three didn't come through on this thread. Clarkson was very complimentary about the ZR-1, saying how well the car worked as a car, then shocked by the blistering acceleration available as a contrast. He was also pleased to break the standing mile record for production cars, totally stock except for tire pressures, at 176 MPH. He was also very complimentary about the CTS-V, telling the other guy how fast it was at the 'Ring. After that guy got to drive the V in the mountains, he absolutely loved it. He too was ecstatic with a standing mile of 163 MPH, totally stock, with a stick, no less. I was surprised he was complaining about the selection of radio stations-did he know the car had XM? I was also surprised that the three drivers didn't switch cars during their long drive to Bonneville, though they had ample opportunity. I would have liked the others' impressions of each car. Overall, they all seemed pretty impressed with their trio of American iron, even the Challenger.

GM-4-LIFE
01-04-09, 02:22 PM
Guys,

Please disregard my ignorant comments. I apologize and was uninformed.

When I am wrong, I admit it.

Again, I am sorry and will try to watch Top Gear with a more open mind and I will try to dial up my English humor sensors.

Thanks guys and sorry to waste your time making you have to explain it to me in detail.

I LOVE THIS FORUM! You guys are great!

SG

concorso
01-04-09, 07:37 PM
First of all, I love the show and you're right on about needing to watch more of it to understand it. They bash things on cars of all makes and models. Usually with good reason.

Just quibbling I guess, But, Clarkson chose the ZR1 as his car of the year:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/article5400290.ece?token=null&offset=12&page=2

...still American and a close cousin of the V2. No no, youre right. I knew better too...Ive just got CTS-V on the brain.

Aero1...no need to apolojize, we're men! It does take a thick skin to listen to Clarkson sometimes, but its totally worth it. This latest season of Top Gear is a cinematic masterpiece...or at least as close as any car show will ever get!

Aero1...check out an episode from a few seasons back with the Ford GT, Pagani Zonda, Ferrari F430. They head across Europe to a bridge in France...beautiful. Or the Episode with the Porsche GT3 RS, Aston MArtin V8 VAntage, and Lambo Gallardo Superleggera where the 3 try to find the best driving roads...again, beautiful.

Or the Z06 Episode...Clarkson does bash the Z06, but just watch how the Vette performs on the track...brilliant!

I cant wait to see the V and ZR1 on the track...both are going to be high on the chart, very high!

Cadillac, thank you for this car. Thank you very much... /end giddyness.

GM-4-LIFE
01-04-09, 08:09 PM
No no, youre right. I knew better too...Ive just got CTS-V on the brain.

Aero1...no need to apolojize, we're men! It does take a thick skin to listen to Clarkson sometimes, but its totally worth it. This latest season of Top Gear is a cinematic masterpiece...or at least as close as any car show will ever get!

Aero1...check out an episode from a few seasons back with the Ford GT, Pagani Zonda, Ferrari F430. They head across Europe to a bridge in France...beautiful. Or the Episode with the Porsche GT3 RS, Aston MArtin V8 VAntage, and Lambo Gallardo Superleggera where the 3 try to find the best driving roads...again, beautiful.

Or the Z06 Episode...Clarkson does bash the Z06, but just watch how the Vette performs on the track...brilliant!

I cant wait to see the V and ZR1 on the track...both are going to be high on the chart, very high!

Cadillac, thank you for this car. Thank you very much... /end giddyness.

I just didn't want to come across as an a-hole, you know what I mean.

You guys did what friends do and clarified things for me and for that I am very grateful.

Again, I apologize and thank all of you guys!

SG

JEM
01-05-09, 01:49 AM
- If youve bothered to watch any Top Gear, you'll see that they bash all countries and brands. They've had episodes dedicated to saying how horrible British Leyland was and how shitty Mercedes has become. If you think theyre hard on the US, you should hear what they say about the French, Germans, Australians, etc

...and you ought to read some of his non-automotive columns as well.

Clarkson is an entertainer. He's often fast and loose with fact. But he usually comes around to a halfway sensible point.

The brilliance of TopGear as a show is that it is not - like so many supposed US car shows - just guys pottering around in test cars reciting comparative statistics, or worse still reading copy about their advertisers' products that sounds an awful lot like it'd been written by the vendor. There's nothing less meaningful about how, say, a Yaris relates to a Mini - or a Gallardo relates to an F430 - than knowing that one's 0.4sec quicker 0-60.

The show also has had an interesting relationship with the nannies that run the British nanny state, some of which was seen in the fallout from Hammond's 280mph dragster crash in 2007.

Flavoade
01-05-09, 07:31 PM
I did see an out-take sometime last year where Clarkson was ranting about American made cars and then he leaned into the camera, raised his middle finger and said "F**k you America... and stop killing our troops." It was on youtube, but I cannot find it now.

RapidRob
01-06-09, 10:29 PM
I did see an out-take sometime last year where Clarkson was ranting about American made cars and then he leaned into the camera, raised his middle finger and said "F**k you America... and stop killing our troops." It was on youtube, but I cannot find it now.

And just to add ... I was watching an episode just last night on BBC America, where Clarkson was test driving a Ford Lightening F-150 pickup somewhere in the UK and was wondering why Americans like pickup trucks. He mentioned something like, ' ... when they are driving around in the country, doing whatever Americans do - probably incest ... ', etc. Man - I don't care what kind of humor anyone is talking about, that is just plain insulting!:punch:

I really wonder if he would have the guts to utter some of these, "humorous", comments while he is in the U.S., in front of Americans? I doubt it, and frankly, I'm surprised BBC America allows that sort of dribble to be exported. How would the Brits feel if Americans were making the same type comments about them on shows exported to the U.K.?

End of Rant

Rob

CIWS
01-06-09, 11:15 PM
I really wonder if he would have the guts to utter some of these, "humorous", comments while he is in the U.S., in front of Americans? I doubt it, and frankly, I'm surprised BBC America allows that sort of dribble to be exported. How would the Brits feel if Americans were making the same type comments about them on shows exported to the U.K.?

End of Rant

Rob

Go look up the episode last season, or possibly the one before where all three of them came to America the first time and drove their pick of "1000.00" autos across the south. :D Some Good Ole' boys from Georgia or Alabama didn't take too kindly to the slogans they painted on the vehicles.

JEM
01-07-09, 01:57 AM
Americans like pickup trucks. He mentioned something like, ' ... when they are driving around in the country, doing whatever Americans do - probably incest ... ', etc. Man - I don't care what kind of humor anyone is talking about, that is just plain insulting!:punch:

It may be insulting, but in context it was funny.

Radguy
01-07-09, 09:29 AM
Go look up the episode last season, or possibly the one before where all three of them came to America the first time and drove their pick of "1000.00" autos across the south. :D Some Good Ole' boys from Georgia or Alabama didn't take too kindly to the slogans they painted on the vehicles.

That was quite funny. If memory serves me correctly, they were, at one point, as the saying goes--"RUNNING FOR THEIR LIVES!!!"

I know they can come off as obnoxious and arrogant, but you have to give them high marks for originality. Who else would pit a Bugatti Veyron against an RAF jet fighter; dune buggy vs a motorized kayak; extreme mountain climber vs an Audi RS4; racing RV's around a track (and watching them literally fall to pieces);etc; etc.

It's fun to see "The Stig" wringing out the cars on the track, and then to see the celebrities trying to do the same. They even had Lewis Hamilton as their celeb recently.

All in all, shows like Motorweek are about as much fun as watching paint dry compared to Top Gear.

atdeneve
01-08-09, 04:13 AM
All in all, shows like Motorweek are about as much fun as watching paint dry compared to Top Gear.

Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner! Nuff said.

CIWS
01-08-09, 08:06 AM
No matter what Clarkson may or may not say about the new CTS-V, I'm just wanting The Stig to get a chance to run the hell out of it around their track :D