: 2000 DeVille oil filter

mobayjd
01-02-09, 12:42 PM
First let me wish everyone a happy and prosperous New Year.
I recently traded my 95 DeVille for a 2000 as I want to change my own oil I have searched under hood, and online for oilfilter location, cant find. Any help would be appreciated. Oh yea it is the northstar engine, Thanks

Submariner409
01-02-09, 01:10 PM
The Northstar filter is the easiest on earth to change. It hangs down vertically from the front (radiator) side of the engine, just to the passenger side of center. You'll need either a strong set of hands, a gripper (compressing) filter wrench that uses a socket wrench head, or one of the pre-made filter body cup sockets from any large parts house ( measure first, there are a dozen different cup sizes). Use jackstands under the front outer corners of the drivetrain cradle. 1/2 quart of oil will drain from the filter and adapter, so loosen that after the main oil pan drain job.

Your car takes 7.5 quarts of 5W-30 oil with filter (2000 model year engine change), either synthetic or dino, whatever floats your boat, and GM recommends pre-filling the filter (Service Manual). Snake oil, heavy oil, magic potions do not work. Save your money.