: Where can I get an engine overhaul kit for 97 4.6L Northstar?

cboggs2
01-01-09, 10:21 PM
I just blew a head gasket on my 97 Seville (195,000 miles) and since I have to pull the engine to change the head gaskets I thought that I might just as well refresh the entire engine.

Does anyone make a kit or do I have to buy the parts seperatly?

Thanks,
C.J.

Ranger
01-01-09, 10:50 PM
I think you have to buy the parts separately, but there is no need. The lower end is relatively bullet proof. You might look into http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/153232-northstar-repair-without-inserts.html
Jake will do it for $1500 or sell the stud kit for $500.

97EldoCoupe
01-02-09, 12:57 AM
Hi C.J., Ranger is right- usually there's no need for a bottom end overhaul, and hardly ever any valve-train parts that need to be replaced or machined. Worn bearings aren't too common unless a drop in oil pressure has occured at some point, or the engine was abused (WOT with a cold engine)

Northstars often consume oil but it's usually even consumption across all the cylinders. I used to hate engines that would burn oil but after seeing time and time again how durable the Northstar is, (i.e. original honing marks after 207,000 miles) I'm not too worried about it.

Older engines, like small block Chevys, when they begin to burn oil they keep burning more and more until they're leaving a trail of blue smoke when you leave the intersection. Northstars don't- oil consumption more or less stays consistent.

The oil that your Northstar burned throughout its life has kept the cylinder walls and piston rings well lubed. If that oil has done its job, it would be totally useless to do an overhaul on the lower end.

I am 185 miles from Linden, MI - if you need your HG's done, and don't have the time to tackle it yourself, I'll be happy to re-freshen your Northstar. 2 years/31,000 miles warranty on the HGs. I have a 100% success rate, based on very near 50 Northstar engines.

cboggs2
01-02-09, 03:11 AM
I am 185 miles from Linden, MI - if you need your HG's done, and don't have the time to tackle it yourself, I'll be happy to re-freshen your Northstar. 2 years/31,000 miles warranty on the HGs. I have a 100% success rate, based on very near 50 Northstar engines.

Thanks for the offer but I was a mechanic for 15 years before I went into the engineering side of things in 1994. While I do find myself asking my son-in-law alot more questions (He's a mechanic at a dealership that sells the entire GM line-up) due to not having the hands on expierence with much of the stuff that came out after I got out of the business, I can still find my way around under the hood pretty good - And I still cuss Cadillac engineers just like I used to!

I just about have the engine out today but I am concerned about the head bolt holes after 195,000 miles. There was quite a bit of coolant in the crankcase when I drained it but I don't think it ran long that way. I will look at the bearings when I get the pan off. I do failure analisys for Detroit Diesel these days (Much bigger parts) so I know what to look for. I should know more tomarrow when I get her apart.

I drive from Linden to Detroit for work 57 miles one way so I do rack up the miles and I just wanted to be sure I could depend on her for another 200,000 miles.

Necrosan
01-02-09, 06:15 AM
Even if you don't have him do the job, I would strongly advise you to use the kit he has developed.
Your original threads are more than likely horrible, and more than likely will not hold sufficient pressure after the job.
Good luck.