: Curb Weight

dlstelma
12-30-08, 09:35 PM
Just curious what you guys think where the additional weight is coming from vs. the previous generation....or any sedan for that matter. I understand that stronger components have to be installed to handle the power, but 4300 lbs is alot of weight!!

CVP33
12-30-08, 09:42 PM
Just curious what you guys think where the additional weight is coming from vs. the previous generation....or any sedan for that matter. I understand that stronger components have to be installed to handle the power, but 4300 lbs is alot of weight!!

Rear Differential

V1 Getrag unit = 14 lbs. 6oz.
V2 Cast Iron unit = 562 lbs. 4 oz.

Nutz
12-30-08, 10:58 PM
Rear Differential

:true:

+
Bigger brakes
Supercharger/cooler
Significantly bigger driver side half-shaft
Bigger Moonroof (opt)
Recaro heated/Cooled seats (opt)

I supose small things add up too: Park assist, motorized nav sgreen, headlamp movement, magnetic ride, ambient lighting, algorhythm computer, flat repair kit, center console with integrated wiring for usb ports and duct/vent work.

GMX322V S/C
12-30-08, 11:22 PM
The new car is wider than the old one and was built to handle the LSA's power from the get-go, so everything that has to do with putting that kind of power to the ground without grenading or twisting (drivetrain, monocoque, etc.) and then converting all that energy to heat to bring it to a stop over and over (brakes, wheels, tires) had to be beefed up (not to mention the supercharger and associated components) and crash standards for at least the next 4-6 years have to be met in every market they're going to sell it in, all while keeping their cost (manufacturing, repair, etc.) targets in mind.

330toSRT8
12-31-08, 01:49 PM
Rear Differential

562 lbs for a differential?!? That's impressive. Can you provide a reference?

trukk
12-31-08, 04:00 PM
562 lbs for a differential?!? That's impressive. Can you provide a reference?

Chris gets all his data from sarcasticahole.biz :thumbsup:

-Chris

330toSRT8
12-31-08, 04:17 PM
Chris gets all his data from sarcasticahole.biz :thumbsup:
Oh, well I did find this differential that weighs 550 lbs so I guess it's not impossible.
10.5" Corporate 14 Bolt Differential
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10.5%22_Corporate_14_Bolt_Differential

I don't know the physical dimensions of the CTS-V diff, but even a solid one foot cube of cast iron doesn't weigh 550 lbs!:hmm:

CVP33
12-31-08, 04:24 PM
Oh, well I did find this differential that weighs 550 lbs so I guess it's not impossible.
10.5" Corporate 14 Bolt Differential
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10.5%22_Corporate_14_Bolt_Differential

I don't know the physical dimensions of the CTS-V diff, but even a solid one foot cube of cast iron doesn't weigh 550 lbs!:hmm:

Actually Trukk was right. Sarcastic Ahole. :histeric: