: First Impression & Dyno

Dave Golder
12-29-08, 10:54 PM
I picked up my 09 CTS-V from Sewell in Dallas on Friday. Easy deal good price and great people to deal with. We still have two on order with them with Recaros but the one I got had every option except Recaro's. Just wanted to get one ASAP.

First impression is car is very nice. Similar in build quality and materials as the BMW M3 I traded in. Very nice car. Very fast but needs to be faster. I dynoed it today and we ripped apart this afternoon. Made 470 stock with about 450 miles or so. Ordered HRE Wheels today and will have engine work done, and lowered in about 10 days or so. Will post the update and pics when done.

caddiedrummer
12-29-08, 11:08 PM
HRE wheels? How did you pull that off? I contacted them today and they said they don't have a fitment yet for the 09 V.

Dave Golder
12-29-08, 11:10 PM
Call Matt at HRE. I gave him the specs today :) his email is mattg@hre.com. Tell him I sent you.

Dave Golder
12-29-08, 11:11 PM
Call HRE and speak to Matt. I faxed him the fitment sheet about 2pm today. I will have mine next week for Barrett Jackson but normally they are running about 2-3 weeks out.

dlstelma
12-29-08, 11:20 PM
can't wait to see the new shoes.

CadV
12-30-08, 12:17 AM
470 stock sounds high can you post your dyno?

GM-4-LIFE
12-30-08, 12:35 AM

I agree. Was the car run on a Dynojet? I would like to see dyno graph if you can post it.

SG

Dave Golder
12-30-08, 12:36 AM

I posted it this afternoon. The other one we dynoed made 464 about a week ago. This one was mine.

YouTube - 2009 Cadillac CTS-V (auto) Dyno Run 470 rw hp 475 rw tq

Dave Golder
12-30-08, 12:38 AM
I agree. Was the car run on a Dynojet? I would like to see dyno graph if you can post it.

SG

yes it was on a dynojet 248c. You can see it a bit in the video but I will post a scan tomorrow when I get to the office.

Nutz
12-30-08, 12:39 AM
:drool: Hope my 05 sells soon...

Dave Golder
12-30-08, 12:43 AM
yes it was on a dynojet 248c. You can see it a bit in the video but I will post a scan tomorrow when I get to the office.

I was really impressed by the tourqe more so than the horsepower. Ton's of torque down low.

Heavychevy1
12-30-08, 12:45 AM
Why is 470 high? Assuming a 15% drivetrain loss which is about right for a T60, that's 552 crank hp, just as claimed. Now if it's an auto, that would mean it's under-rated.

What are you planning on lowering it with?

Edit: Oh I get it now, the usual hennessey sneaky advertising.

Dave Golder
12-30-08, 12:48 AM
Why is 470 high? Assuming a 15% drivetrain loss which is about right for a T60, that's 552 crank hp, just as claimed. Now if it's an auto, that would mean it's under-rated.

Making some pieces right now on the CNC.

Razorecko
12-30-08, 01:01 AM
Dynojets tend to read high. Any plans to dyno on a mustang dyno ? Or dyno a manual trans to see the drivetrain loss difference ?

Dave Golder
12-30-08, 01:04 AM
Dynojets tend to read high. Any plans to dyno on a mustang dyno ? Or dyno a manual trans to see the drivetrain loss difference ?

No plans on a mustang dyno. Not really going for a number, just a baseline really to see what I pick up on my mods. We have a 6 speed coming in but not until second week in Jan. We are getting ready to order a AWD Dyno Dynamics but wont be in until end of March or April.

Dave Golder
12-30-08, 01:08 AM

Uhh no I was asked to post it. It is my personal car.

darjae
12-30-08, 01:26 AM
Uhh no I was asked to post it. It is my personal car.

This is your personal car? but you're getting wheels for selling it at Barrett Jackson?

I will have mine next week for Barrett Jackson but normally they are running about 2-3 weeks out.

Just trying to get it all together... It if really makes 470 RWHP that's phenomenal. Please post the results of the mods....

~darjae

Dave Golder
12-30-08, 01:29 AM
This is your personal car? but you're getting wheels for selling it at Barrett Jackson?

Just trying to get it all together... It if really makes 470 RWHP that's phenomenal. Please post the results of the mods....

~darjae

Man you guys read lots of stuff into my posts. No where did I say I was selling my car at Barrett Jackson. I am bringing the car to Barrett to be on display with 5 other cars in the booth.

Razorecko
12-30-08, 01:29 AM
When you guys get to dyno the 6spd please update this thread. Also when you guys get a rough idea of what the auto trans is capable of handling please feel free to share that also

darjae
12-30-08, 01:31 AM
Man you guys read lots of stuff into my posts. No where did I say I was selling my car at Barrett Jackson. I am bringing the car to Barrett to be on display with 5 other cars in the booth.

:)

Like I said "just trying to figure it all out" but do let us know the results of your mods.

Cheers

~darjae

atdeneve
12-30-08, 08:27 AM
Call Matt at HRE. I gave him the specs today :) his email is mattg@hre.com. Tell him I sent you.

Yeah, that. Matt usually has the answers or will get em for you.

Oh, Hennessey, hmmm...

CIWS
12-30-08, 09:01 AM
What shop/facility is the dyno located in ?

trukk
12-30-08, 01:14 PM

Heh,

Not sure about V2, but V1, and it's plethora of BIG RUBBER BUSHINGS nad IRS in the drivetrain had more like a 18-20 % driveline loss for the M6.

Sure hope the V2 proves different, but I'm not holding my breath.

-Chris

Heavychevy1
12-30-08, 02:25 PM
Heh,

Not sure about V2, but V1, and it's plethora of BIG RUBBER BUSHINGS nad IRS in the drivetrain had more like a 18-20 % driveline loss for the M6.

Sure hope the V2 proves different, but I'm not holding my breath.

-Chris

The V1 didnt have a T60 though did it, or even a T56 right? This car seems to be miles ahead of the V1, judging by it's handling prowess, Id bet it's mush more compliant and efficient in the drivetrain and suspension than the V1.

I have confidence that it's lower than the V1, at least the manual, although the Tremec gearboxes are beefy and do sap a bit of power over less durable alternatives.

But the Z06 dyno's at 440-460 whp, and is rated at 500 hp, why wouldnt the V2 be good at 470 on a dynojet. I think most manufacturers use higher quality dynos anyways so that's why everything seems underrated on the likes of a dyna-pack and dyno jet. Just a guess though.

Dyno Dan
12-30-08, 02:31 PM
Disregard.

CIWS
12-30-08, 02:35 PM
The V1 didnt have a T60 though did it, or even a T56 right?

The V1 CTS-V has a Tremec T56 (M12)

trukk
12-30-08, 02:50 PM
The V1 didnt have a T60 though did it, or even a T56 right? This car seems to be miles ahead of the V1, judging by it's handling prowess, Id bet it's mush more compliant and efficient in the drivetrain and suspension than the V1.

I have confidence that it's lower than the V1, at least the manual, although the Tremec gearboxes are beefy and do sap a bit of power over less durable alternatives.

But the Z06 dyno's at 440-460 whp, and is rated at 500 hp, why wouldnt the V2 be good at 470 on a dynojet. I think most manufacturers use higher quality dynos anyways so that's why everything seems underrated on the likes of a dyna-pack and dyno jet. Just a guess though.

At this point we are all making assumptions, however you made a lot regarding the V1.

'04-'05 based V1's, with the same LS6 and T56 as the C5Z06 consistantly dyno'd between 320 - 330, which was 20-30 less than a C5Z06. The V1 was rated 5hp lower than the Z, due to exhasut manifold differences.

A big part of that is all the big asses rubber bushing in the V. Motor mounts, tranny mounts, diff mounts, cradle mounts & drive shaft.

I would like to hope that GM took some of that play out of the new V. I assume that they did remove some. There is zero chance they removed it all, to make it more like the vette.

GM definately made some GM like decisions on this car. Take a look at the exhaust. I do think that they have done a better job on V2 than on V1. Pretty amazing car so far :bouncy:

It will be interesting to see how things shake out.

-Chris

dvandentop
12-30-08, 05:31 PM
ah damn you took it to hennsesy?? :(

wish i was making it to barret jackson this year

went to the vegas one

darjae
12-30-08, 05:34 PM
ah damn you took it to hennsesy?? :(

I got the impression that he works there.

Heavychevy1
12-30-08, 05:58 PM
Me too which is why I'm skeptical, Hennessey has backhanded ways of advertising without paying vendor fees. He does it everywhere.

atdeneve
12-30-08, 07:16 PM
Just wanna see it lowered...

Dave Golder
12-30-08, 10:36 PM
Me too which is why I'm skeptical, Hennessey has backhanded ways of advertising without paying vendor fees. He does it everywhere.

Heavy Chevy want to see my title.... You really think was a way to keep from paying $100 month in fees? Are you that ignorant? I write Dupont a check every month for $35k. I am trying to learn what I can about these cars and share the little we have learned.

Never mind guys, I really don't need the grief. Thanks to the guys who PM'd me etc though. I didn't take it to Hennessey I am the General Manager at Hennessey. I never offered that information. I was asked to post "proof" so I did. I have owned and raced my own cars for years. It is my car, not a customers car. I am here to share and learn about the V but not at the expense of the BS. PM me if you want to see pics when I am done. I will be happy to share them. They have been building the headers all day. Suspension is done just not back installed yet. Modified Blower will go back on tomorrow. HeavyChevy can take over here for me since he is the knower of all. Sorry to intrude... on his space.

CVP33
12-30-08, 10:46 PM
Tough crowd. :nono:

dvandentop
12-30-08, 10:50 PM
looking to see the updates of the car as it progresses but i am sure you know the hennesey name has some history behind it.

dont quit posting just because someone is giving ya a bad time it happens on every forum

Nutz
12-30-08, 11:03 PM

Aw christ , this is gonna be worse than the "drone" thread. Now we have a NOOB droppin off-topic bombs on a uber performance shop's credability. :cop:

Keep up the cool posts Dave. Looking forward to seeing the new 09 V's limitations.:thumbsup:
Lighten up Heavy, let's get to know each other here for a while.

darjae
12-30-08, 11:09 PM
Never mind guys, I really don't need the grief. Thanks to the guys who PM'd me etc though. I didn't take it to Hennessey I am the General Manager at Hennessey. I never offered that information. I was asked to post "proof" so I did. I have owned and raced my own cars for years. It is my car, not a customers car. I am here to share and learn about the V but not at the expense of the BS. PM me if you want to see pics when I am done. I will be happy to share them. They have been building the headers all day. Suspension is done just not back installed yet. Modified Blower will go back on tomorrow. HeavyChevy can take over here for me since he is the knower of all. Sorry to intrude... on his space.

Ignore all the naysayers. If anyone disagrees with anything on this board, the flames don't stop. I'm sure that everyone here appreciates any information we can get on the V2. Please post pics and the HP gains that you've achieved when you're done with the monster.

CIWS
12-30-08, 11:11 PM
What shop/facility is the dyno located in ?

Ok nevermind. Now that I'm home I can see where it's at. Lot's of work places are blocking Youtube now, including mine so we can't view the videos there.

Nutz
12-30-08, 11:17 PM
They have been building the headers all day. Suspension is done just not back installed yet. Modified Blower will go back on tomorrow.

Really going to be interesting, keep posting. :welcome:

silverAg
12-30-08, 11:24 PM
can't wait to see the suspension drop :cool2:

Heavychevy1
12-31-08, 12:00 AM
Aw christ , this is gonna be worse than the "drone" thread. Now we have a NOOB droppin off-topic bombs on a uber performance shop's credability. :cop:

Keep up the cool posts Dave. Looking forward to seeing the new 09 V's limitations.:thumbsup:
Lighten up Heavy, let's get to know each other here for a while.

Do a search, Hennesseys credibility doesn't have anything to do with me.

cya

:rolleyes:

GMX322V S/C
12-31-08, 12:37 AM
...A big part of that is all the big asses rubber bushing in the V. Motor mounts, tranny mounts, diff mounts, cradle mounts & drive shaft.

I would like to hope that GM took some of that play out of the new V. I assume that they did remove some. There is zero chance they removed it all, to make it more like the vette...Chris, I don't understand--once the drivetrain is wound up against the rollers (all of the "play" taken out of the bushings), doesn't it factor out? Aren't most drivetrain losses due to friction or slippage?

LV_V
12-31-08, 01:10 AM
Dave, keep up the posts! There are many, many people who view these threads who do not post and I am sure they all are extremely interested in following your progress. Its too bad we have one bad apple to spoil the bunch!

I have no idea why anyone would be so negative towards someone who owns a V and is trying to PROGRESS/TEST THE VEHICLE'S LIMITS and is kind enough to share it with us on a daily basis!!

Thanks Dave!

Dave Golder
01-03-09, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys...here are some pics of the headers we built. What a chore! Will not get the blower back until Monday so no new numbers until then. car is lowered but still on the hoist so will get some of those pictures fro you on Monday or tomorrow.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll219/venomcoupe/IMG00038.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll219/venomcoupe/IMG00033.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll219/venomcoupe/IMG00023.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll219/venomcoupe/IMG00021.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll219/venomcoupe/IMG00037.jpg

Nutz
01-03-09, 04:19 PM
Wow, some big pipes!:eek: Collectors look cool. Were you able to pull off equal length's? What kind of muffler's will be used?

Dave Golder
01-03-09, 04:22 PM
Wow, some big pipes!:eek: Collectors look cool. Were you able to pull off equal length's? What kind of muffler's will be used?

Very close to equal length. Exhaust has an Xpipe and we will dyno with a few different muffler configurations to compare power, noise, drone etc.

Tasos
01-03-09, 06:00 PM
Dave, thanks for the updates. Keep them coming. You are an asset to this site.

trukk
01-04-09, 03:11 PM
Very close to equal length. Exhaust has an Xpipe and we will dyno with a few different muffler configurations to compare power, noise, drone etc.

Custom steering shaft for fitament?

Are those 1 7/8 primaries?

-Chris

Razorecko
01-04-09, 03:42 PM
Yea, thanks for the updates Dave, good to see things moving so fast. Now will the headers be setup to pass emissions or will a tune be used to ignore the 02 sensor readings ??

Dave Golder
01-04-09, 05:50 PM
Custom steering shaft for fitament?

Are those 1 7/8 primaries?

-Chris

1 7/8 and standard steering shaft. We removed the shaft to give us room to work but put it back in.