: Adoption and the Foster care system

LS1Mike
12-29-08, 02:32 PM
Well the wife and I have been going thourgh the process to foster to adopt.
We have a child of our own (and could have more) but decided it would be the right thing to adopt a little one that needed a home.
We are very close to be licensed to start care. (sometime in jan)
Just some obsevations.
They should make it this hard to have kids and cost as much. Maybe then we wouldn't have to have a foster care system.
The process to get licensed requires finger printing, back ground check, physical, some pretty personal interviews with your family and yourself.
They do a home inspection which checks a crazy amount of things. They also check each car for current insurance and operational seat belts.
That took a while at my place since I had to get the RV out of storage.
Lots of people think you will make some cash doing this. I seriously doubt it,
If you do everything right.
Just curious if anyone else here has done this or tried to do it.

dkozloski
12-29-08, 02:59 PM
Well the wife and I have been going thourgh the process to foster to adopt.
We have a child of our own (and could have more) but decided it would be the right thing to adopt a little one that needed a home.
We are very close to be licensed to start care. (sometime in jan)
Just some obsevations.
They should make it this hard to have kids and cost as much. Maybe then we wouldn't have to have a foster care system.
The process to get licensed requires finger printing, back ground check, physical, some pretty personal interviews with your family and yourself.
They do a home inspection which checks a crazy amount of things. They also check each car for current insurance and operational seat belts.
That took a while at my place since I had to get the RV out of storage.
Lots of people think you will make some cash doing this. I seriously doubt it,
If you do everything right.
Just curious if anyone else here has done this or tried to do it.
In Alaska, the state reimburses a set fee for the lawyers fees for adoption and there are lawyers that will do the adoption for this amount. When we adopted our boy we paid no fees. We had been foster parents for quite a while and had already had some background checks and home inspections. If you adopt a special needs child you can apply for an adoption subsidy to help with extraordinary expenses until they're eighteen and the state pays for medical needs through Medicaid. Our boy has a full Medicaid waiver. In addition the IRS allows a $10,000 tax credit no matter what your actual adoption expenses are for special needs kids.

If you adopt a preschooler you can skip the two years or so of shitty diapers. I'm here to tell you that this is a significant benefit.

We didn't get to do this. Our boy is seventeen years old, is still in diapers, has grand mal seizures and choreoathetoid movements. He cannot dress or feed himself. Sometime he's combative. He requires 24/7/365 care. Sometimes it's a bit overwhelming but we manage. We're presently petitioning the court for guardianship after his eighteenth birthday. Someday we will no longer be able to care for him but we plan to hang in there as long as possible. It's either us caring for him or he'll be institutionalized. That's a grim prospect for him. We decided that we need him as much as he needs us. When he yells DAD! and gives me a big bear hug it's all I need to keep going. You'll never know what you can do until you have to.

Coma
12-29-08, 03:36 PM
My aunt and uncle adopted two kids. One is now epileptic (age 12) and the other was just recently discovered to have diabetes (age 6). Didn't expect that.

dkozloski
12-29-08, 04:05 PM
My aunt and uncle adopted two kids. One is now epileptic (age 12) and the other was just recently discovered to have diabetes (age 6). Didn't expect that.
It makes you wonder about the parents of perfectly healthy kids that belly ache about how hard it is to raise them and wind up unleashing unprincipled monsters on the public.

BacDoc
12-29-08, 04:34 PM
There should be a license to breed in this country, thus less children to adopt....

not to mention the slow down of uneducated trailer trash breeding at an exponential rate rapping our welfare system.

LS1Mike
12-29-08, 08:04 PM
I was amazed at what some of these kids go through before they end up in the system.
The training you take goes through a bunch of that in Washington 85% of the kids in care
have had some sort of sexaul abuse.

Not every child comes from "uneducated trailer trash". That is pretty stupid to say.
Maybe you should take the training.

dkozloski
12-29-08, 08:23 PM
For every kid removed from the home there are a half dozen more that are living in pure hell and should be rescued also. Alcohol and drug use is not reserved for those living in mobile homes. It affects all levels of society.