: My Caddy just got a little more expensive

caddiedrummer
12-29-08, 11:47 AM
Just ordered the Pirelli Sottozero tires for my 09 V. After a lot of thought and a lot of internet research, as well as being convinced by short throw, I just did not want to risk it even here in the 'South (Va) where we routinely get below 38 degrees in Winter.

It is funny Caddy does not say much about the PS2s and dealer acted like you could run them year round. If you look into it there are some Vette and other high performance horrer stories about running them in Winter. Michelin said not to run them when I called because they can wear out quickly, crack and lose traction. Short throw calls them "hockey pucks" in Winter.

Bottom line: from all I can gather, if you are somewhere where you have any kind of Winter there is little sense risking it on the OE tires. Not griping--Caddy was trying to put the best performance tire they could on the car.

Qnsryck
12-29-08, 12:32 PM
Same here. I ordered mine yesterday.

I'd also like to look at getting a second set of wheels too. Other than Tire Rack does anyone have any other suggestions of where to look?

Kadonny
12-29-08, 12:40 PM
Same here. I ordered mine yesterday.

I'd also like to look at getting a second set of wheels too. Other than Tire Rack does anyone have any other suggestions of where to look?

Same here. The car is not even listed on TireRack so you can't really look up wheels unless you list a car.

I really want a separate tire/wheel package so I don't have to hog up the rims each year changing tires. We need some help finding a REASONABLY priced winter wheel/tire set.

caddierunner, good choice on the tires, those are the ones I would get too.

thebigjimsho
12-29-08, 05:38 PM
I just left a message with Damon at the Tire Rack to see if he knew if they had wheels that would fit. I would imagine that the bolt pattern could be similar to the CTS. Even if that weren't the case, there should be some 5 bolt wheels that they have that would fit...

caddiedrummer
12-29-08, 05:43 PM
I have a message into HRE--they would look awesome on a black caddy

Short-Throw
12-29-08, 08:14 PM
Caddiedrummer,

Great risk/reward decision.

You will not be sorry and you will see better traction even if it's just cold by you. Just as the Michelin's don't like colder temps, be careful running the Pirelli sotto240s extra hard if some warm weather rolls in. A lot of people wear out their winter tires by mounting them too early in the season when it's still too warm. These tires perform remarkably well but if you push them too hard you will notice a little rollover due to a softer sidewall.

I look forward to everyone's feedback.

Mike

Short-Throw
12-29-08, 08:17 PM
One thing to consider if going the aftermarket route. Sometimes the TPSMs do not fit perfectly so do a little homework first.

YoshiV
12-30-08, 04:30 PM
Sottozero's = THE SHIT...had mine on since the beginning of winter and they are great!

caddiedrummer
12-30-08, 07:12 PM
Just got from my dealer. The Sottos are on. I have to say in all my yrs of buying tires they have the oddest tread pattern I have ever seen. Side by Side with the PS2s they do look like they would cut through a lot more nasty stuff.

About $1300 balenced /mounted. It is hard to believe they are a winter performance tire when you look at them but everyone from the BMW, Vette, Porsche guys rave about them.

While there a guy was getting PS2s PUT ON. I gave my dealer a little free legal advice and told him to explain the pitfalls in Winter. It is hard to believe that Michelin does such a poor job of communicating with Caddy and their dealers about this issue. If not for this forum I would have run the OEs in snow and sub zero weather.

Short-Throw
12-30-08, 09:25 PM
If not for this forum I would have run the OEs in snow and sub zero weather.

Any thoughts or not enough time driving on them yet?

caddiedrummer
12-30-08, 10:30 PM
Any thoughts or not enough time driving on them yet?

We have still been in the 45-50 degree weather here which is what I have been driving the PS2s in. They clearly feel less smooth and are a touch noisier but neither is pronounced enough to matter. I understand that do not corner near as well--to be expected.

thebigjimsho
12-31-08, 01:45 AM
While there a guy was getting PS2s PUT ON. I gave my dealer a little free legal advice and told him to explain the pitfalls in Winter. It is hard to believe that Michelin does such a poor job of communicating with Caddy and their dealers about this issue. If not for this forum I would have run the OEs in snow and sub zero weather.When would it EVER be Michelin's job? It's Cadillac's and, ultimately, the consumer's responsibility to understand what's going on.

Personally, my PS2s do fine down to freezing. It may not be as sticky as when it's warm but they're not bad...

caddiedrummer
12-31-08, 06:17 AM
Big Jim--No offense. I do this for a living and have been for 25 years. I have tried Product cases (representing manufacturers) in almost 35 states and have written articles on failure to warn. It is the tire manufacturer's "job".(along with others in the chain and yes that might include car manufacturer)

caddiedrummer
12-31-08, 08:40 AM
PS There is a responsibility on the purchaser --as I said I DEFEND companies. The problem in the US is many juries are sympathetic to injured folks and look past their comparative fault/contributory negligence. It is getting better, however , in some states.

It is not mentioned much, (maybe because much of our Congress protects the plaintiff's Bar) but another reason the auto manufacturers' have financial issues is because of the outrageous verdicts they have endured over the years (I have been on both sides of that and occassionally had to make some tough calls back to the office--not too many though)

thebigjimsho
12-31-08, 09:49 AM
Big Jim--No offense. I do this for a living and have been for 25 years. I have tried Product cases (representing manufacturers) in almost 35 states and have written articles on failure to warn. It is the tire manufacturer's "job".(along with others in the chain and yes that might include car manufacturer)

PS There is a responsibility on the purchaser --as I said I DEFEND companies. The problem in the US is many juries are sympathetic to injured folks and look past their comparative fault/contributory negligence. It is getting better, however , in some states.

It is not mentioned much, (maybe because much of our Congress protects the plaintiff's Bar) but another reason the auto manufacturers' have financial issues is because of the outrageous verdicts they have endured over the years (I have been on both sides of that and occassionally had to make some tough calls back to the office--not too many though)
Ahhhh, so you're a scumbag lawyer, huh?? :thepan:

Kadonny
12-31-08, 09:54 AM
Back on topic.

No word on any wheel packages yet?

thebigjimsho
12-31-08, 09:56 AM
Back on topic.

No word on any wheel packages yet?I'm surprised Damon didn't call me back. I'll try again today. Does anyone have specs on the stock wheels? Bolt pattern, offset, hub, etc...

caddiedrummer
12-31-08, 10:12 AM

I knew I could count on a rational response.

thebigjimsho
12-31-08, 10:16 AM
I knew I could count on a rational response.Oh, don't be a wussbag, H.R. Shovenstuff...

caddiedrummer
12-31-08, 10:26 AM
BigJim--it was simply sarcasm in response to what I trust was sarcasm. Happy New Year.

thebigjimsho
12-31-08, 10:42 AM
BigJim--it was simply sarcasm in response to what I trust was sarcasm. Happy New Year.Dark comedy gets you much farther around here than sarcasm... :stirpot:

IRONDOG
12-31-08, 10:47 AM

I'm not one but being an Attorney is an honorable profession. Let's discuss cars.

thebigjimsho
12-31-08, 12:08 PM
I'm not one but being an Attorney is an honorable profession. Let's discuss cars.Dude, seriously, really? Wasn't there some small, small voice somewhere in your head that said that I actually might be kidding?

And around here, we discuss everything. Cars is just the common factor...