: What makes the Diamond White "tricoat"?

randian
12-28-08, 03:24 PM
Does it change colors with viewing angle?

Ketzer
12-28-08, 03:28 PM
Its a creamy pearl white. Yes it does.

randian
12-28-08, 03:31 PM
Its a creamy pearl white. Yes it does.
What other colors are seen?

Ketzer
12-28-08, 06:01 PM
Thats a loaded question, depends on the light. It's not a true chameleon paint like the chromalusion stuff, it is more of a pearl. It's the same white on all the new Caddys, I'm sure you've seen it.

Jeff-

Short-Throw
12-28-08, 06:26 PM

The Diamond White is an awesome color and one of my favorites. It is however a very hard color to match if repairs are needed. Depending on the angle it is applied or the distance it is applied from, can change the way it looks on the car itself.

Lord Cadillac
12-28-08, 06:38 PM
Cadillac has the nicest pearl white paint I've ever seen. White Diamond is always my first choice when looking for a Cadillac.

Ketzer
12-28-08, 07:46 PM
What he said and what he said. :thumbsup:

PAULSTSMAN1
12-28-08, 08:02 PM
While talking to a friend of mine who is an Ex Cadillac General Manager, he indicated that the paint process for the "While Diamond" paint is incredibly expensive and complicated to do. The paint is applied in 3 steps, one while spinning! First the white Base Coat, then the Diamond glitter, finally the Clear Coat. He cautioned me against ever buying it because it has a tendency to "yellow" and if damaged after more than 1 year is almost impossible to match (oxidation changes the color).

Nutz
12-28-08, 08:03 PM

Lighting substantially effects the color (more than the angle in my opinion). It has a natural radiance in the sun.:thumbsup:

concorso
12-29-08, 02:55 AM
While talking to a friend of mine who is an Ex Cadillac General Manager, he indicated that the paint process for the "While Diamond" paint is incredibly expensive and complicated to do. The paint is applied in 3 steps, one while spinning! First the white Base Coat, then the Diamond glitter, finally the Clear Coat. He cautioned me against ever buying it because it has a tendency to "yellow" and if damaged after more than 1 year is almost impossible to match (oxidation changes the color).oxidation doesnt change the color...the uv rays do
oxidation would only affect the surface clear coat

i would guess that all the sealants with uv blockers would stop the paint from yellowing

randian
12-29-08, 03:18 AM
i would guess that all the sealants with uv blockers would stop the paint from yellowing
If UV were a problem with this paint I sure wouldn't want to buy it where I life (Florida). I like the Thunder Grey too (it seems most popular), but it's probably hotter in the summer.

Cliff8928
12-29-08, 03:20 AM
"tricoat" is because it's a 3-stage painting process. Unlike most where there is just a base coat and clear coat. White Diamond has a base coat, mid coat and clear coat. That's why there is so much more luster and depth to the color.