: Navigation questions...

Ketzer
12-28-08, 02:49 PM
For those familiar, what extra service do you need or have to get (XM, Onstar) to make it work? How do you get your updates? Do you only get current traffic info by having one of the additional services? Opinions on any part of it?

Thanks,
Jeff-

Short-Throw
12-28-08, 03:35 PM
For those familiar, what extra service do you need or have to get (XM, Onstar) to make it work? How do you get your updates? Do you only get current traffic info by having one of the additional services? Opinions on any part of it?

Thanks,
Jeff-

You don't need any extra service to make the actual GPS system itself work. If you want live traffic and weather, this is where the XM comes into play. Onstar has a nice feature that allows you to call a rep and have them download an address directly to your NAV while you're driving. What's nice about this feature is it actually comes up on your NAV screen with the plotted route as if you entered it yourself, opposed to the turn-by-turn directions that are also available without the map interface.

The NAV system itself has a lot of nice features. When you are traveling, if you press the center of the NAV screen where the current street is listed, it will show you the upcoming street/exit. With the voice command, it's quite easy to zoom in/out, etc...

The live traffic option prompts you for a detour option when delays are up ahead. The live weather gives you not only current conditions, but extended forecast and weather along an actual destination that has been programmed in.

Mike

Ronster
12-28-08, 04:01 PM
when I renewed xm in mid-2008 it cost 3.99/month for nav/traffic. I asked if that was available without getting the radio subscription and the answer was yes.
update is currently by dvd. the 08 cts does not get the free anniversary update offer and I believe 09 continues this. so you gotta shell out $199 for the disc. you get a code tied to your vin so it can only be used with the specific car.
I just did this; it updates nav and audio software, plus the nav database. takes about 3 hours. the database I just got is dated 030308, the previous one was 022807. looks like once a year, and coming up in the spring if the apparent trend holds.
I like the weather feature although sometimes there is quite a delay before it shows up on the display. current weather for your location, 3 day forecast, weather warnings, weather along a route are all pretty useful.
also at least in metro areas live traffic can warn of accidents and construction conditions on a route or in your area ("in 2 miles, narrow lanes" or something like that).
rg

jvp
12-28-08, 04:04 PM
Hey Ronster -

I just did this; it updates nav and audio software, plus the nav database. takes about 3 hours.

The geek in me is curious what's actually on that DVD. Some interesting notes:
- The CTS (and V) equipped with Nav have that 40G HDD built-in. 30G of that drive is set aside for the Nav system software, database, etc. That's a LOT of space.
- DVDs can hold, at most, 7G of data.

It means they're compressing the snot out of the data on that DVD. Can you pop it into your PC and open it up in Windows Explorer, and see what kinds of files are on it? I'm really curious. :-)

jas

Ketzer
12-28-08, 07:47 PM
Thanks guys!
Clearing some things up for my wife.

TheGeeman
12-28-08, 08:32 PM
Question about the weather function: Does weather function only work for major population areas? I live in SW MO and have not been able to receive a weather report.

Thanks
G.

GMX322V S/C
12-29-08, 07:21 PM
^ The weather function is tied to the XM NavTraffic service. Unfortunately, SW MO isn't a market they currently serve: http://www.gm.com/vehicles/services/xmradio/experience-xm/xm-navtraffic/

GMX322V S/C
12-29-08, 08:03 PM
Anyone know if it's possible to bulk import custom POI information?

Dave Golder
12-30-08, 01:38 AM
I have tried the phone numbers for three businesses....and I am 0 for 3 in the Houston Area. These are not new business's either.