: This Cat is Finicky!!

jjhammer
12-28-08, 11:19 AM
Went to work today and when leaving the Cat would not start. Tow truck came and it started right up with a jump. It would crank for me-battery is strong but would not start! Any ideas? I hate to be stranded!!! I have never had this problem before and have not done any recent work on it. Thanks!

frank moran
12-28-08, 11:48 AM
assuming all the bat. conn. are good it may be a crank poition sensor starting to fail. Has there been any patterns of hard start or erratic engine performance? did the jump start enhance the engine crank speed.

jjhammer
12-28-08, 11:32 PM
No it has always started right up-battery is less than a year old. Now I see from reading on here that it may be the cps unit. I ordered one today online and will install it when it comes, Hopefully that will solve this problem. thanks!

investor74
12-29-08, 12:04 PM
I guess you tried cleaning the battery terminals - the tow truck would apply the power directly to the outside of the cable connectors, so he may be able to deliver the power while your battery itself would not. Also, if he grounded the negative to the car, it would bypass the negative cable alltogether.