: Questions after new V ride

cts-v ls6
12-27-08, 10:30 PM
Hey, guys,

I test drove an '09 V in Memphis last week. What a car! It was red with the auto, and no Recaros.

But I noticed 2 things I wanted some feedback on.

I am 6'2", and the NAV screen in my '04 V is canted back at just the right angle so I can see it easily. The pop-up screen in the new V is straight up, or even canted forward, and I found myself craning my neck down to see the NAV. Is this just me, or has anyone else noticed this?

Also, Cadillac has put run-flat tires on the V again. We came to a solution with the first generation V's by going to standard tires, removing the wooden support in the trunk, buying a full size spare, turning it upside down, and going on our way.

Not so with this car. It didn't appear that there was enough room in the trunk for a full size spare. Yes, I saw the tire sealer and air compressor, but the runflats still last about 8-10K mikes. I put 52K miles on my V last year. I'm not buying 4-5 sets of runflats a year--I'd go broke.

Anyone have any ideas on the tire situation? I sure would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Jack

caddiedrummer
12-27-08, 11:05 PM
I am 6'4" and my son is 6'7" and we both think the NAV screen is good and better than my M5.

The car you saw had run flats???

thebigjimsho
12-27-08, 11:21 PM
The V's PS2s should not be runflats. The ZR1's are however...

caddiedrummer
12-27-08, 11:32 PM
The V's PS2s should not be runflats. The ZR1's are however...

Correct. I think he must have assumed they were RFs. They ain't unless someone did something odd

Short-Throw
12-28-08, 12:19 AM
I found myself craning my neck down to see the NAV. Is this just me, or has anyone else noticed this?

Yes, I saw the tire sealer and air compressor,

Jack

Hi Jack,

Did you adjust the seat lower at all or just sit in it as it was?

Seeing the sealant should have been the tip off that the Michelin's are not run flats.

Mike

cts-v ls6
12-28-08, 07:22 PM
Hey, thanks all,

Mike, that's a good point about adjusting the seat. I was like a little kid on Christmas morning, and I'm sure I wasn't thinking about that.

Actually, the salesman told me the tires were runflats. But you're right, why would runflats need sealant?

I'll call the dealership tomorrow and confirm to ease my mind.

Appreciate your responses.

Thanks,

Jack

thebigjimsho
12-28-08, 11:07 PM
Hey, thanks all,

Mike, that's a good point about adjusting the seat. I was like a little kid on Christmas morning, and I'm sure I wasn't thinking about that.

Actually, the salesman told me the tires were runflats. But you're right, why would runflats need sealant?

I'll call the dealership tomorrow and confirm to ease my mind.

Appreciate your responses.

Thanks,

JackIf the tires were EMT(or RFT), they'd clearly state it on the sidewall...

caddiedrummer
12-29-08, 09:07 AM
I can believe a salsman said they were run flats. I never ceases to amaze me how little salesmen (not the car guy types like Tony) know about the cars they are selling. They are around these cars 60-70 hrs a week and can't answer the simplest question.

Razorecko
12-29-08, 11:30 AM
If they were not runflats I would probally consider replacing these tires with runflats. There is a huge difference it what happens on the highway at 90mph w/ a blowout on a reg tire and with a runflat. Some ride discomfort is worth that extra security.