: Tips Cleaning a Black Car

CadV
12-27-08, 07:54 PM
It has been a long time since I owned a Black car and I was hoping you guys could share what techniques have worked best for you. Ideally I am trying to minimize the tiny scratches.

MSOsr
12-27-08, 07:59 PM
Go to Autopia.org. Using a foam gun and other techniques will minimize your contact with the car and obviate those tiny scratches.

Mike

CIWS
12-27-08, 08:59 PM
Get it detailed, then leave it parked in the garage. :D

caddiedrummer
12-27-08, 09:33 PM
Abandon all hope. I keep buying black cars because they look good for the 30 seconds they are clean. Had a black XLR-V, black Vipers and now the CTS-V. Never knew I had it so good with the silver M5.

One thing I do to "avoid" scratches is always dry the car with a power blower--I wipe the residual . The less the car is touched the better.

Nutz
12-28-08, 02:25 AM
Hose car down more than usual.
Sheep fur mitt and Turtle Wax soap to wash.
Microfiber towel and Eagle One Wax As You Dry to dry. In the shade.

Try to stay horizontal on wash strokes. Vertical strokes or swirls are what catches the eye. And keep the mitt off the bottom of the bucket of soap where the dirt sinks to.

Zaino Bros. products are also essentially marketed towards black car owners too.

Yes, I'm a black paint psycho.

Heavychevy1
12-28-08, 12:37 PM
Is the caddy clear coat as bad as the corvette clear coat in terms of detailing?

If that is the case, black is out of the question for me.

CadV
12-28-08, 05:50 PM
One thing I do to "avoid" scratches is always dry the car with a power blower--I wipe the residual . The less the car is touched the better.

That is exactly what I did. Waxed, washed, rinsed, dryed with leaf blower and dabbed the left over water.

RapidRob
12-28-08, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure, but I've been told previously that new-car paint should be left to, "set", for a month or two before the first wax is applied. Is this true, or is that advise balony?

Rob

NormV
12-28-08, 08:01 PM
Don't touch it! :) just kidding. You could live of life of laser washes but it will never hold wax from the detergent soap.

On the sides wash vertically per Sal from Zainos and the hood should be washed cowl to front leading edge. This will put fine scratches in one direction and be less obvious to the naked eye.

Waxing should be done in the same manner.

Norm

chris1268
12-29-08, 11:30 AM
I know this is a terrible question to ask, but I'll ask it anyway. I have a black V2 and am in desperate need of a wash, but it is to cold here in Chicago to wash it outside and I have nowhere else to wash it. Anyone run one through a soft cloth auto-wash yet?

Kadonny
12-29-08, 11:43 AM
^^^^ No. Do you have any brushless washes? Those are better.

Razorecko
12-29-08, 12:03 PM
I know this is a terrible question to ask, but I'll ask it anyway. I have a black V2 and am in desperate need of a wash, but it is to cold here in Chicago to wash it outside and I have nowhere else to wash it. Anyone run one through a soft cloth auto-wash yet?

Find one of those self power wash stations and use everything to wash your car except the brush..NEVER use the brush at a power wash station - people use that to clean their wheels and one sweep and you will have scratches everywhere. But because their soap/water/rinse is really pressurized its a great way to get the majority of filth off w/out touching the ride. In the summer I would go to a powerwash booth and clean the majority of crud off. Than go home and wash it with clean microfiber towels and than air dry with a leaf blower or something else. This method kept my black practically perfect. Than i got a silver car and i can do whatever i want to it....but i miss black

chris1268
12-29-08, 02:36 PM
Just ran out at lunch and did the quick power wash. Definately no scrtached, but unfortunately it still looks dirty. I'm going to have to find a winter alternative.

Razorecko
12-29-08, 05:44 PM
Just ran out at lunch and did the quick power wash. Definately no scrtached, but unfortunately it still looks dirty. I'm going to have to find a winter alternative.

Its the soap they are using that sucks. I have used about 10 different power wash stations before and out of all of them there are only like 2x that use good soap on their "soap" setting. One that will clean the car without using the brush. One of those stations is on Irving pk road, west of Narrgannsett rd and before Harlem ave.

jimbo1320
12-29-08, 07:51 PM
Here are some wash basics, waxing has its own procedures. First off water, water, water, and soap, soap, soap, mild one for cars not dish soap. Two buckets, one wash one rinse. The wash should have a strainer in it so the dirt particales can sift thrugh avoiding them migrating back into you mit. A good quality mitt soaked in soapy water than wash a section of the "V" than flip the mitt and do another section. Dip the mitt into the rinse bucket than into the soap bucket and start the procedure over. To dry I use a blade and a microfiber drying towel (I like Meguiars)

Luna.
12-29-08, 09:56 PM
Should I just X-off getting a black V?

I've never owned a black car before and I'm thinking I might not want to...

Nutz
12-29-08, 10:38 PM
unfortunately it still looks dirty. I'm going to have to find a winter alternative.

I use the Touchless Laser Power Wash only as a needed as a salt/surface grime remover, then I hand wash at home for brilliance if forecast is good, but expecting a clean presentable car after a public car wash facility is a thought I no longer waste.
Recap: Laser Wash will be the closest to "acceptable" throughout the winter.

I wonder if nav will assist in locating one? Or Onstar?

chris1268
12-30-08, 12:02 PM
I use the Touchless Laser Power Wash only as a needed as a salt/surface grime remover, then I hand wash at home for brilliance if forecast is good, but expecting a clean presentable car after a public car wash facility is a thought I no longer waste.
Recap: Laser Wash will be the closest to "acceptable" throughout the winter.

I wonder if nav will assist in locating one? Or Onstar?

I just found a recommended hand wash at Turtle Wax. A little pricey but no touch. They use air to dry and appear to do a great job. My buddy just got his CL63 (Black) done and it looks great.

concorso
01-01-09, 11:16 PM
Here are some wash basics, waxing has its own procedures. First off water, water, water, and soap, soap, soap, mild one for cars not dish soap. Two buckets, one wash one rinse. The wash should have a strainer in it so the dirt particales can sift thrugh avoiding them migrating back into you mit. A good quality mitt soaked in soapy water than wash a section of the "V" than flip the mitt and do another section. Dip the mitt into the rinse bucket than into the soap bucket and start the procedure over. To dry I use a blade and a microfiber drying towel (I like Meguiars) Be careful using a water blade, expecially if you are detailing outdoors. The tiniest of grit can be scraped across the hood using this tool. Something small enough that you wouldnt see, but it could still do damage. Even pollen dragged across a hood can swirl it up, pollen is quite abrasive.

The best way to dry a car is to blow dry it, and do touch up with a quality MF.

Greg*
01-02-09, 07:22 AM
Should I just X-off getting a black V?

IMO, yes if it's an everyday driver.