: gas quality

csbuckn
12-27-08, 02:22 PM
So one thing I've always wondered about is the quality of gas at certain gas stations. I hear people say all the time that there car doesnt run good on gas from certain stores, is there a way to tell what gas has better quality? Like in MN, our gas-I think-is not the best because I hear people say all the time that WI has better gas, its not so diluted. How do you know where to get the good stuff?

77CDV
12-27-08, 09:14 PM
It used to be true that different brands of gas made a car run better or worse. With the consolidation of oil companies and refineries, I don't think it's so true anymore. But, there is a difference in gas from state to state, due to differing air quality laws. Having driven across the country more than once, I can tell you that in most of the Midwest, I can't use anything but the "premium" grade, because all the rest have so much ethanol that the octane is too low. Here in CA, regular gas is rated at 87 octane, premium is 91. In some Midwest states, regular is 85 or even 83 octane, premium seems to top out at 90. So, when I drive my 77 CDV from state to state, I have to keep an eye on the octane ratings and how much ethanol is in the gas, and pump accordingly. But I don't find that the brand makes much difference in how the car runs or the mileage.

sven914
12-28-08, 10:37 PM
GM engines don't like BP gasoline. If they have Marathon there, their gas is watered down with with additives, which I've seen kill engines. I got one tank of Shell, and it was like running on kerosene. I usually get GetGo for my 89 Brougham, and she runs alright. Speedway and Sunoco are best, but if you have a Wal-Mart super center that sells gas (Murphy USA is the one by me), that burns alright.

Aron9000
01-07-09, 02:39 AM
I know for a fact that my sister's RSX(the low hp version) was having some hesitation/"running like shit" as she put it. All she put in it for two years was Pilot gas, the cheapest junk in town. Took it to the dealership and they changed the fuel filter, said it was junk gas that was giving her problems. Says she's been running only Shell or BP in it now for the past couple of years and hasn't had a single problem with that car.

csbuckn
01-07-09, 09:02 AM
I'm not a big fan of BP because of there ads talking about their gas cleaning off valves but I cant feel a difference in the broughams, but my Shadow hates certain stations. I work at a Sams Club and usually get my gas there, seems to do good.

75sled
01-07-09, 10:03 AM
I have tried premium (93 octane) at a local store in my area (Entec) in my 75 and i can hardly get it started first thing. I Run Chevron premium (92 octane) and it starts right up. Not sure what the difference is, but i run Entec's 87 octane in my 03 Yukon and it runs just fine. Course I know the 03 is designed to run on low octane fuel, but I would have thought that the higher octane at Entec would have done better in my 75 coupe deville.

Oh well, live and learn.