: Need some advice from the Caddy guys...

StangCrazy
12-26-08, 07:47 PM
Ok, let me first say that what you about to read does not involve a Caddy; however, I still would like all your honest opinions.

I took my Trailblazer SS to the dealership this morning for an oil change. When I dropped it off, I asked the dealership to check the tire's air pressure since the low pressure light was going off in the mornings. (Cold air reduces tire pressure, yes I know, but I still wanted them to check it.) This was at 11:30 in the morning.

3 hours later, I'm sitting at a Home Depot waiting for an employee to come put some pine straw in my work truck. While sitting there, I am able to see the interstate from the parking lot, I see my truck getting onto the interstate. Not just cruising, but being hot-rodded.

So, I go to the dealership right then and actually get there the same time the guy driving my car does. I ask the Service Manager their policy on driving customer cars off property and he said not unless they have to. About that time, the kid driving my car comes in and claims he was driving to make sure the TPMS doesn't go off again after adjusting the air pressure in my tires. The SM ask him which "route" he took for the test drive and the kid denied 100% being on the interstate with my truck.

I called him on it right there, and all he did was say it wasn't him, handed the keys to the SM, and then walked off. Needless to say, I'm PISSED!! Some young kid out hot rodding in my 400hp Trailblazer SS.

My question is: What is a reasonable resolution to this situation? Am I just over reacting here?

Short-Throw
12-26-08, 08:36 PM
You didn't mention any words exchanged or what transpired after the kid walked off?????

Given it was 100% your car, you need to calmly discuss this further with the service director and/or owner. The TPSMs only need to be driven a short distance to register. Explain to either that you do not feel comfortable giving them business if this is how they conduct themselves and have no control over their employees.

Ask them if this is how they want their dealership portrayed?

I wouldn't be upset that the vehicle was driven hard as much as being lied to. The truth is he probably didn't do anything more than flog it a few times. Yes, it still doesn't make it right.

Razorecko
12-26-08, 09:00 PM
With my Jeep srt8 I always 'tell them" to not do any test drives and ask them to write that on the paperwork. This way if i get back in the vehicle and the mileage is off more than a mile there will be some serious explaining to do. This will be the case with my manual V as I trust dealers even less with manuals than with automatics.

GMX322V S/C
12-26-08, 09:19 PM
...I wouldn't be upset that the vehicle was driven hard as much as being lied to...I would feel the same way, however, I must admit I am worried about mouth-breathing valets joyriding with it. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I've thought of displaying a reset trip odometer (subtle) or writing down the mileage on a post-it note and pasting it on to the air bag (blatant) when leaving it with a valet that I don't know! :o A lockable "valet" mode that limited the engine performance envelope would help...

vperl
12-27-08, 01:38 AM
Do what Robert Blake did, park down the street from your favorite place, I like Italian, or big Steak.

Razorecko
12-27-08, 11:04 AM
actually what i have done also is take a photo with my cellular phone of the odo right when i pull up. That way it is time stamped with the mileage. If i find any discrepency than i can show them my pic and ask them to explain how i was 5-10 miles shy in the bay when i pulled in.

cjwolverine
12-28-08, 10:07 AM
actually what i have done also is take a photo with my cellular phone of the odo right when i pull up. That way it is time stamped with the mileage. If i find any discrepency than i can show them my pic and ask them to explain how i was 5-10 miles shy in the bay when i pulled in.

great idea, but let them know you're doing it and / or use the post it note. When the miles come up missing when you get back in. You get to complain, but that's about it. Will they give you something for your complaint? You'll never get those miles back and never be able to undo, whatever the joy ride did.

Have you ever called someone out on this? What was there response? I hate doing it because then the relationship with the establishment seems tense after that confrontation. How do you handle it? I love the cell phone idea!

Razorecko
12-28-08, 11:42 AM
^ I never had to. I always did 2x things at the dealer. 1. make them not not to do any test drives. 2. do a "walk around" with the service manager. This way he can note that there isnt any damage on the car or the wheels. So later if the car comes back with a scape or wheel rash than I wont have any issues with them getting it fixed. I wished i would have done this with the local tire shop as later on in the day i noticed they rashed up 2x of my wheels during mounting. Now i'm religious about it....That and I would ask who their main viper/vette tech is - get his name and than next time when i make a service appt have it scheduled so only that 1 person works on that car. That why you have 1 guy that always works on your car he wont do anything stupid and he'll pick up on little things since its more personal.

CIWS
12-28-08, 01:12 PM
I personally always keep track of the mileage when I drop the car off and pick it back up to see if it's been driven and if so how far (that actually should be on your service ticket). The TPS sensors don't even require a mile to set, so any more than a couple and they're out driving the car around for fun. The Nav in the CTS-V was great because it had "bread crumbs" left for tracking. Not only could I see how far it was driven but also where and the route taken. I would just reset it as the car was dropped off so it was fresh.

As far as advice here ? I would follow Short-Throw's. Address to the Service Manager that you know for a fact his man is lying as you personally observed your truck and your concern deals more with the apparent dishonesty and lack of control they seem to have with their employees.

A further step would be to write a formal letter the the GM of the dealership explaining the situation, that you discussed it with the Service Manager and their potential liabilities in such a circumstance, being polite not threatening, and send it certified. That way if /when it happens in the future you have some record of past occurrence and notification in case there's damage and the need for some legal action.

Whenever there's wheel work done on the car I take digital pics of the wheels before it's dropped off that date/time stamps them in case of damage. Unfortunately I've had several parts damaged by the dealership in the past, wheels, body parts (lower door sills, twice) and scratches left by tools. In every case they haven't denied responsibility and have paid to have them fixed. But it also pays to have proof of your car's condition as they get it and to have a walk around done as soon as you pick it up.

cjwolverine
12-29-08, 07:45 PM
Great advice guys. Document everything is the key. It sucks to have to do, but people just don't care for your stuff the way you do. I was taught to take even better care of stuff that isn't mine, but that's not the case with most of these techs. too bad.