: Scion?!

DopeStar 156
06-27-04, 02:38 AM
Who owns them anyway? I know not Ford or GM and what's their angle with those ass ugly car/van/SUV things? I don't get it at all.

ShadowLvr400
06-27-04, 03:24 AM
It's Toyota, and they're college student market. Cheap, fuel efficient, stury, and useful. Thc Xb (the box) is perfect for student bands, people who carry various equipment, etc. Xa is a little more rounded off version. The new Tc is their sport coupe, and with prices in the teens for relatively well stocked machines, I expect Scion to be a good little niche segment.

LacSeville
06-27-04, 10:22 AM
you otta go check out all the options you can get on them... then come back and tell me who you think they are marketed for. stuff like subs and 18" rims and interior neon to name a few! Does anyone actually see many of those around? I don't in Arkansas. I do like the little tc car. kinda altimaish.

Blackout
06-27-04, 11:03 AM
The Scion's are great cars for people on a budget. The cars are marketed towards the teens and college students but so far everyone I've seen driving them are guys/girls in their 30's/40's which surprised me. About the Xb its one of those love it or hate it designs. The car is popular all over the world and is just the boxy design is just start getting over here now and with Nissan bringing their boxy liitle car over here now then were going to have some competition with the XB and the Cube *the name of Nissan's vehicle*. The Xa reminds me alot of the Chevy Aveo but hey thats just me. The new tc I like a lot. I sat in one at the NYC International Auto Show and it was very nice and with a base price tag of $15k *according to the tc I was in at the NYC show* and it will come with an optional TRD Supercharger will bump the horsepower up too 230 or 250 hp which will make it quite fast. i think Toyota did a hell of a job with making a whole new car company devoted towards the youth of america and not really caring about what the older crowd thinking about the cars *even though the older crowd seems to be buying them up pretty good*. Nice cheap price, reliable Toyota build quality, cheap on insurance, good gas mileage, and already the Xb especially is starting a cult following around the nation.

DopeStar 156
06-27-04, 12:32 PM
Before graduation I haven't heard any kind of buzz about it in my high school so I didn't know they were remotely popular. I hadn't heard one person talking about them at all in my school either positive or negative. I've seen 5 or 6 of the xB's rollin' around and out of the 4 I could see a driver they were like 40-50 years old and one I saw was actually being driven by an elderly couple. Personally I think my age group would rather spend $1,500 on an old Honda and add like $1,000 worth of mods to it than go out and buy a $13,000 Scion. I'm immune to that however, that big rimmed, wide exhaust, neon light, clear taillights thing never appealed to me. That's prolly why I drive a huge ass Fleetwood. That's why I went for the 80-89 Fleetwood Brougham instead of the 90-92 because I didn't like the clear looking taillights on those. I just see those corny commercials for Scion on TV where the box is rolling down a city street at like 15 mph and rolled my eyes at it.

Elvis
06-27-04, 03:51 PM
There's a woman here in Memphis who bought one without ever driving it. She saw it on the web and ordered it from Calif. It was delivered and she met the truck in downtown Memphis at the Pyramid. A man my wife knows saw it being unloaded, walked over and started asking questions. That night he got on the web and ordered one for his daughter, who was graduating from high school a few months later.

davesdeville
06-27-04, 09:21 PM
I sat in the box one at a car show a month or two ago. It was not that cool. Toyotas aren't cool, and cheaper Toyotas are less cool.

BeelzeBob
06-27-04, 09:31 PM
I thought they were ugly at first but they're growing on me. Strangely enough, I see more older people driving them as well.. Odd.. They ARE intended for teenagers and college students.. They're not as reliable as the Toyota or Lexus brand vehicles, though..

DopeStar 156
06-28-04, 01:35 AM
It seems like they're trying to make the newest trend car like the old VW Beetles and the busses. I would almost bet the the design of the box was done with the VW bus in mind and the rounded one with the Beetle in mind. I just make those connections when is see them. As for Toyota's target audience, they held the gun at the target and shot but the bullet sailed around the shooter's head. I love how their teen cult car is being bought up by seniors. LOL!

majax
06-28-04, 07:55 PM
I dont think they have any design to them in the first place they are just boxes. I saw one last month some young girl had one(she was from california).