: lifter knock? need advice!!

gunther1000
12-26-08, 02:16 PM
So I am half way to MI from tn in a ice storm and it drops a cylinder... Nasty lifter or valve into piston sound but it still runs somewhat... now I am about to make the return trip with a trailor and dirt bikt behind it. What are my chances of it holding together all the 600 miles? No trailor behind it on the way up but it did have the knock for about 500 miles. I had changed the oil just befor the trip and didnt use my usuall stp oil treatment. so I just threw some lucas oil stuff in it and it didnt help the noise but what do you think...

Will a bad valve or lifter hold for the trip or how long have you ran a car soundinglike this?

Brent

gunther1000
12-26-08, 06:13 PM
15 views and not one reply...

Now I know why I dont come here anymore....

Nevermind. please delete.

Po Pimp
12-26-08, 08:38 PM
How could anyone know the answer to that over the internet? If even someone gave you answer it might not be right considering it is impossible to tell what is actually wrong with information that is given and understandably so with you being on a trip.

If you want an answer the answer is this: Maybe. Really depends on what is actually wrong and how you drive it home.

JRomano
12-26-08, 09:27 PM
i hope you have AAA, the engine will probably be toast by the time you make it back if its not done for already

and yeah this forum is freakin dead, all i do is search old posts and go on instinct when i need an answer here

gunther1000
12-27-08, 09:26 PM
Just so you all know the craptera made it like a champ!

Lifter knock and 5 cylinders strong it ran 80-90 up KY hills and didn't submitt!

Now its hurting but ran over 1000 miles knocking like a rod but has yet to leave me stuck.

Seems as if the valve has dropped into the cylinder and it still runs!

Im happy!

Everyone can still kiss my ass....

Any help would have been better than none. wrong or not. My first bad valve run ever but its a trooper, I do think it has to do with the milky cap sludge on that side......

:stirpot: