: Anyone weigh a car yet?

Heavychevy1
12-25-08, 06:22 PM
I'd like to know what the weights are when someone gets a chance.

Does anyone know the specs GM claims on the spec sheet? Is that a car with recaros and track pack, so the base one will be heavier, or vice versa?

I'd like to know how much weight the recaros save, because if it's not susbstantial enough, you can buy aftermarket nice race seats for about 1k a piece with nice leather and only 20 lbs each for ~1k a seat.

StangCrazy
12-25-08, 07:29 PM
If anyone has a new V in the Charlotte area and wants to weigh the car, my work place has a scale that can be used. DOT certified to be accurate within 20 pounds. I only charge a ride in the new V and 5 minutes to drool on it.

Short-Throw
12-25-08, 08:18 PM
I'd like to know what the weights are when someone gets a chance.

Does anyone know the specs GM claims on the spec sheet? Is that a car with recaros and track pack, so the base one will be heavier, or vice versa?

I'd like to know how much weight the recaros save, because if it's not susbstantial enough, you can buy aftermarket nice race seats for about 1k a piece with nice leather and only 20 lbs each for ~1k a seat.

Hi Heavy,

I'm quite confident you can find an aftermarket seat that will weigh much less.
There is also no question you can buy cheaper seats, although I'm not sure they would be worth what you'd be giving up.

The factory Recaro's are heated and cooled. They are quite adjustable for a 'form fit' with a moving headrest and thigh support as well. Despite the racing seat name, they really are a street seat and have a decent amount of padding. They hold you in wonderfully (but do not support a 6 point harness). I think this car is too nice for a pure race seat and you would certainly pay the price for daily driving.

If you were looking to track this car on a regular basis I'm not sure the SC is the platform you'd want (especially in the heat) and the car simply weighs too much. I think you would be very disappointed unless you gutted it. Then what do you do, remove the MR suspension?

BMW was a previous sponsor at our driving schools/track days. We used 3 & & 5 series sedans among the fleet to give rides to multiple students. They pushed miserably and there was no way to come into a corner fast. You're no rookie, you know the rest.

Mike

Heavychevy1
12-25-08, 08:48 PM
Mike, I have no intentions on tracking it regularly, I have something for that. I just want to beat a few M5's (lol), and see how it stacks up at the track, particularly against my friends black series. It will rarely see track time.

As for the seats, I have no interest in heated and cooled seats, if I got them it would be for resale value. I've done ~7 hr trips into the mountains for drives in racing seats with no problem and absolutely love driving in them, I'd get something a little more plush than the hardcore seats for my wife, but she likes them too. Something reclining and around 24 lbs or so in a nice leather.

As for the suspension, as long as it doesnt mess up any other components, the MR suspension may be gone, unless I'm impressed enough with it and how it looks to keep it. I guess we'll see. I really would like to lower it a tad, so whatever the best way to get that done is, I'll do that.