: Transmission Removal/replacement

mikeintn68
12-25-08, 03:26 PM
I just purchased a 97 Seville STS with a bad transmission (82,000 miles). Strange but I started it and drove it straight up my driveway which is very steep. I drove fine for 1/2 a mile and then it would not pull out its tracks. Shut it off waited a minute and it got me home but wouldent turn around in the driveway. ???? Anyone ever heard of that? Fluid is plenty full but smells burnt.

Anyway, what is the proceedure to pull the tranny. Anyway to do it without dropping the carriage? How hard is that to do?

The car is a vin code 9. What is the difference than a Y

Would anyone recommend finding a low milage used tranny vs a rebuild, there seems to be plenty out there and they are priced resonable. Ive had bad experiences with rebuilds. What could I expect to pay for a complete rebuild. This is a nice car other than the tranny issue it seems to run great, has all the options, never wrecked or painted, everything works. I plan to use it as my daily driver.

Any advice is appreciated.

BTW, first time on this forum looks to be very informative. Any other tips about this car will be appreciated.

Submariner409
12-25-08, 05:12 PM
mike, So much has been posted in Seville, here, and Technical Tips that it would take a volume the size of a NYC telephone book to hold it all. I'll take the ultimate cop-out and recommend lots of reading and research.

Read the entire Cadillac Technical Archive up in the black bar ^^^. It's not that long but there's a ton of info there, too.

IF you can get the car up on a frame hoist and use transmission jacks, its possible to lower the driver's end of the powertrain cradle and remove the transmission, but the job is involved, labor intensive, and requires a bit more than basic hand tools.

Before you start, the most basic advice is to go to eBay and get a Helm/GM Factory Service Manual, not a Chilton or Haynes: they're too generic for what you need.

mikeintn68
12-25-08, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the info, I have been reading through the posts. I have searched for transmission removal but nothing that gave any details showed up.

I have already purchased the manuals but they have not arrived yet.

I am a pretty good shade tree, I build street rods but I'm not sure I want to tackle the trans removal. Id still like to hear more opinions on rebuilds.

Ranger
12-25-08, 07:38 PM
These transmissions seem to be pretty tough as we rarely hear of transmission problems. I would think you'd be pretty safe with a salvage trans, especially if it was low mileage.

stoveguyy
12-26-08, 11:19 PM
i take it you have never pulled a trans from a FWD car before? you have to drop the subframe first. if you are asking how to do that than you are in for an education. its good to learn things and save money doing it yourself but pulling a tranny for the first time is quite a job. its always nice to have a friend who has done it before and can help. get a manual first. it will really help.