: instaling water pump pulley

tommyj
12-25-08, 02:19 AM
im trying to install the pulley on the front cam... does any1 have any good ideas it seems almost imposible

jeffrsmith
12-25-08, 12:11 PM
What did you use to pull the pulley?

I used a power steering pulley puller to pull mine.

Usually those type of pullers can also be used for installation.

If you don't have one of these you can use a bolt that will fit the hole in the end of the cam, use a washer and a nut on the bolt - use a wrench on the end of the bolt and then tighten the nut to press the pulley on.

Hope this helps.

tommyj
12-25-08, 12:34 PM
i used a rental puller frm advance auto ..do you know what size thread the hole on the end of the cam is ??

BlackCaddy87
12-25-08, 02:36 PM
its been awhile since i changed my water pump but it seemed pretty easy compared to other cars. i believe the actual pulley was on the water pump

Submariner409
12-25-08, 03:06 PM
It's a metric thread.......two ways to replace the camshaft water pump drive pulley.......

Either find a bolt/washer that is long enough to thread into the cam at least 3 turns while the pulley is against the cam end......oil the bolt and begin to "pull" the pulley onto the cam. BEFORE the bolt bottoms out, remove it and stack a couple more washers and start again. Continue until the pulley hub is flush with the cam end. OR, perform the same operation with a piece of threaded stock and nuts and washers.....use the threaded stock as a stud and the nut/washer, well oiled, to "pull" the pulley onto the cam.

You may have to stack washers of different OD's in order to keep the large washer in contact with the pulley hub from dishing in due to the force applied.........

97EldoCoupe
12-26-08, 12:56 AM
Sub has it right there- threaded stock. Well oiled. I usually use some WD-40 on the end of the cam and inside the pulley to help it slide on easier. The end of the camshaft is tapered so you don't have to worry about it slipping from the WD-40- what that does is remove the friction so you won't twist a bolt in the end of the cam or break the end of the cam from excessive resistance. If the thread protector (plastic cap) is missing from the end of the cam there's a chance it's full of rust too- use a bottom tap and penetrating oil to carefully clean the threads before you re-install the pulley.

Same with the harmonic balancer. Clean the surfaces thoroughly, and use WD-40 on the inside of the balancer, the bolt, and threads to aid with installing. It's imperative that the balancer is installed without resistance to achieve the correct torque, because that engages and drives the oil pump.