: Teens copying enemies' license plates to get revenge via speed cameras

Lord Cadillac
12-25-08, 01:50 AM
Teens are known for having a lot of time, some seriously outrageous ideas for filling that time, and a slightly obsessive need for revenge. Add a few residential speed cameras into that mix, and what you have is a creative perversion of the entire speed camera system. Teens in Maryland have evidently been printing out the license plates numbers of rival teens, putting them on their own cars, and then purposely blasting by speed cameras posted in residential neighborhoods. The rival teen -- or his parents -- then gets a $40 citation in the mail.

Read more (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/24/teens-copying-enemies-license-plates-to-get-revenge-via-speed-c/)

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-25-08, 04:01 AM
Hmm, now that's a good idea. There are a few people at work I am less than friendly with. :)

Around here though all we have is red light cameras and they actually take a video clip of the incident so it would be pretty clear that it was intentional. A kid I knew at school got busted by one when he didn't come to a complete stop when turning right on red. When the ticket came they also gave him a website where he could watch the video himself to see what the cops saw.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-25-08, 11:38 AM
Man that's lame. Whatever happened to the good old blanket party?

carterb
12-25-08, 01:07 PM
Isn't technology wonderful ? Somehow the next generation always finds a way to exploit it, whether it's cameras, cellphones, computers, etc. .....:stirpot:

eyekandyboats.inc
12-25-08, 01:12 PM
cant they just run the plates and see what kind of vehicle it is registered and see that the plates are on the wrong car.
thus proving its not them. unless they take it the wrong way and think they are doing something malicious and charge them some how even more

Lord Cadillac
12-25-08, 02:21 PM
They ned to make laws against This now...

CIWS
12-25-08, 02:36 PM
They ned to make laws against This now...

There already is, the trick is catching the actual offender to act against.

Submariner409
12-25-08, 05:57 PM
Running a check of license plate vs vehicle description is a great idea.......except that the red light/speed camera thingy is nothing more than a cash cow for the local government, so in-depth interpretation of the photo is probably non-existent. (.....and undoubtedly there are no plans to hire more legions of highly qualified public servants to do the necessary work.)

eyekandyboats.inc
12-25-08, 08:42 PM
this is another reason not to put your license plate in photos of your car on the internet.
such as custom license plates and so on.
its kinda sad that people will do this. what is the world coming to...
give me a beer and let me fight the guy if i have that much beef with him

Red_October_7000
12-25-08, 10:35 PM
Some time ago there was a photo of a car going through a speed camera... Except it was being towed by a tow truck. If you think a person even looks at these, you have been smoking too much grass. Speed cameras are a 100% revenue generating plan for the government and the company that maintains them -they have no place in a society run by an honest government.

Caddyshack100
12-27-08, 06:39 PM
About ten years or so ago, here in Ontario, there were Speed Cameras located on the highways in Safari Vans, everybody would immediately slow down and drive like perfect angels when they seen one of these, at night they would blind you with the flash from the camera, nevertheless, one hapless person was caught and given a 80 dollar ticket which was sent to him in the mail, on this ticket was a picture of the rear of the car with the plate and a picture of the person driving it somewhat smaller, this person was so pissed by this, he took 4 twenty dollar bills out and took a photo of them and sent them in to the courts saying that he was now fully paid up, needless to say the crown was not impressed or moved.

C0RSA1R
12-28-08, 11:47 PM
We've only got one speed camera around my area that I know of - I've got a friend that lives out by it and I've never had the chance to run afoul of it. Of course, everyone knows it's there, and I can't imagine it really has much impact or is even worth the money spent maintaining it. That guy on BBC's Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson, has a Sunday column in the UK Times and he rails about how awful speed cameras are, and how they don't make a jot of difference in road safety. I'd have to agree.

Kev
12-29-08, 12:19 AM
If the photo of the license plate and car is sufficient to identify the make, model and color of the car then it should be a simple (if not expensive time wise with loss of work income) task to challenge the ticket in court. Next, the victim would have to file a complaint with the local law enforcement or district attorney. If this is done by enough people then it may be possible that ........ oh, never mind.