: A/C conversion question

Mr. Poon
12-24-08, 03:08 PM
I have a 1970 DeVille I'd like to convert to R134A. Does anyone
know what parts I need to buy? Is there a link that explains
this stuff so you don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand?

Any help will be great.

75sled
12-24-08, 03:44 PM
I have decided to keep mine at r12, but i did get some great information and advice from this forum http://www.autoacforum.com/ and thier supporting ackits.com site. They sell a kit that you can use to convert. I am not sure if yours has the EEVIR assembly but mine did. They told me to keep it if I was going to stay with r12, but if was going to convert to use this kit they have. Good luck.

Caddy75
12-28-08, 06:04 PM
I recently had R134 put in my '76 Fleetwood, the air conditionist says these old Gm cars don';t need any special conversions or swapped parts as long as all of the old R12 and old oil is purged. Mine also needed a new dessicant bag in the VIR assembly but it was easier to just get a whole new VIR and O rings, white spirits were also used to help purge remaining traces of R12 out. So if you're car has been sitting around for ages without any or much use like mine was its possible you may have to get a new VIR unit as the dessicabnt bag insude would have seized up. This was all done nearly 2 months ago and so far haven;t had any problems, although i personally find the blower speed even on high a bit low compared with 1992 toyota but it still keeps the whole cabin cool somehow.

Mr. Poon
01-02-09, 09:17 PM
Thanks!