: 2001 Catara poor mileage, sunroof

jlfro
12-24-08, 01:31 PM
I have a 2001 Catera. I get about 10 mpg just driving around my local area and about 20 on the highway. My sunroof has started opening and closing on its own, and heat pours from the underside of the car in warmer temperatures. My seats also get so hot I have to turn them off and when in park, I often have trouble putting my car in gear. Any ideas would be appreciated.

JRomano
12-24-08, 09:18 PM
I also have trouble getting the car out of park.
If you squeeze the sides of the leather shift boot in (pry in between the wood grain and leather) you can remove the boot from the base and you will see a yellow lever.
It is connected to a solenoid and when you step on the brake it should move out of the way for you to take the car out of park.
I noticed in cold weather mine gums up and wont move so I have to push on the little yellow lever with my finger every morning.
I think if I find a way to get in there and clean it and re grease it, then it should work fine.

I don't have a sunroof, cant help you there but it sounds familiar like its part of the K134 Multifunction Relay system. Search the forum for issues with the radio and or fog lights and it should be in a related thread.

The seats should have a 1 thru 5 dial for heat intensity, 5 being hottest, I wish mine even worked so consider yourself lucky they get too hot.

The 10-20 mpg is poor, I get 16 city 25 highway. I would check/replace the spark plugs, change the fuel filter, check/replace the air filter. Obviously oil and filter every 3k miles. May as well take the MAF out and clean it too... http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/rodi_2032_76973671

jlfro
12-24-08, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll try a couple of those. I already had a transmission service, raidiator flush, fuel filter, at a caddy dealer. I am worried I may have a troubled car. I tried to get the tune up, but they recommended I wait until 100,000 miles. I wonder if WD-40 would work on the sticky lever. What's MAF?