: IPod hook up for 2002 DTS with Nav & Bose stereo

Big Red's Caddy
12-24-08, 12:18 AM
I am new on here and I have been searching for topics or info about installing an iPod in a 2002 DTS. I have been unsucessful in locating a kit that will work with my Caddy. I do have navigation and the Bose stereo. Is there a kit or some sort of cables that will work to install my iPod in my car?:banghead:

Big Red's Caddy
12-24-08, 01:08 AM
I also have the 6 disc changer in the glove box.

CadillacSTS42005
12-24-08, 03:46 AM
cannot be done
only can be done with a harness i can make
connects between your nav and stock radio plug giving you 3 rcas for audio and video into the nav unit
anything else will not work

Big Red's Caddy
12-24-08, 04:42 PM
Well that sucks. I pulled out my set of factory services manuels this morning. I found that there was an option for export models with nav that has provisions for rca's and a tv tuner with RPO code of U3S & U3Q. Do you know if my current radio option U3R will accept thses options of the other radios? Is this how you were able to install the rca's jacks to accept the iPod audio/video. After searching the service manuels, I realize that the export models have intergrated antennas in the window defroster area as well as tv amplifiers and a module to receive a signal. Has anybody tried playing with the tv tuner option equiptment or installed this stuff on a domestic Caddy with nav?

CadillacSTS42005
12-24-08, 05:10 PM
trust me
i know what im doing
search navigation in the seville/eldo forum
youll get all the info youll ever want
without trying to brag im pretty much the authority on these nav systems

Renew82
12-24-08, 06:24 PM
CadillacSTS2003,

What is the cost for your custom interface?

Thanks

CadillacSTS42005
12-24-08, 09:16 PM
email me
cadillac1997etc@yahoo.com

Big Red's Caddy
12-25-08, 01:43 AM
Thanks for your help.

Big Red's Caddy
01-10-09, 11:42 PM
Hey, I was able to figure out my iPod connection thru the Nav and be able to charge the iPod and play video. I have pictures in my album of some of the install.:bouncy:

CadillacSTS42005
01-11-09, 12:20 AM
huh?

thu
01-11-09, 02:43 AM
Hey, I was able to figure out my iPod connection thru the Nav and be able to charge the iPod and play video. I have pictures in my album of some of the install.:bouncy:
Tell us more, please.

Big Red's Caddy
01-13-09, 01:28 AM
Well, I was able to determine which cavities in the radio connector that was utilized in the export Caddy. Once I figured out the cavity locations, I hard wired in an audio/video cable with an USB connector utilizing factory terminal ends. The USB connector is then used to charge my iPod in my Caddy thru a car charger in the cigar lighter hole while my iPod is installed. In one of my pitures, you'll see an USB connector where the ash tray used to be. In another picture, you will see the docking cable in the console with my iPod installed. Pressing the DVD button on the radio will switch the radio over the AUX setting allowing the iPod to play through the radio.

CadillacSTS42005
01-13-09, 04:46 PM
thats pretty much the cable i have been making plus rewiring to add a stock nav to a non nav car
but you made it out like you can control the ipod through the nav which was what i was asking about

Big Red's Caddy
01-13-09, 07:10 PM
As you know, iPod can't be controlled through the radio. Sorry bout that. I didn't realize that an iPod connection with my radio was possible until I came across the info on here.

CadillacSTS42005
01-13-09, 07:36 PM
np
anytime
and yea ive known about this
i wasnt sure if you made some interface or sumthing to get it to work

Cliff8928
01-14-09, 03:29 AM
I still don't understand why none of the interfaces will work. They usually just fake the radio that it's a XM module or CD Changer.

Yuben Pimpslapt
01-18-09, 08:43 PM
What about connecting an iPod to a base 2002 DeVille radio? I checked around the forums and I didn't see anything on that. Any help (or if it can even be done) wouldgreat!!

CadillacSTS42005
01-20-09, 02:59 PM
cant be done
have to have nav at least

Yuben Pimpslapt
01-20-09, 04:59 PM
SO, if I were to some how stumble upon a NAV and actually install it, I'd be on the right path?

CadillacSTS42005
01-20-09, 05:16 PM
gl tryn to install it
they are not plug and play
i make a harness and it takes me days to make them as each car has different wiring for different options
plugging it directly into your car as it sits will fry your BCM

Yuben Pimpslapt
01-21-09, 11:53 AM
I was searching the forums earlier this morning and saw this link.

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=724

Just curious if anyone here has used/tried this before?

Also, would this be something worth my while? I have a base DeVille with the CD/Tape (no changer). I'm not as dumb as I might sound :) so please forgive the stupid sounding questions :)

Thanks for the help!

99Classillac
02-26-09, 11:59 AM
Hey CadillacSTS2003, long time? Hey are you refering to the factory nav not being plug and play?

chazglenn3
03-01-09, 07:25 PM
The factory nav is NOT plug and play. As mentioned above, it will kill the Body Control Module without a modified wiring harness.

CadillacSTS42005
03-01-09, 08:54 PM
correct
plugging it directly in will cause numerous issues

Yuben Pimpslapt
03-02-09, 12:38 PM
Thanx for the warnings. Someone like me would've just bought one from e-bay, installed it, and would have been here complaining :) cause my radio didn't work anymore!

Just curious, what would the harness you mentioned run someone like me? 2002 base Deville? I'm going to buy a NAV (or aftermarket) some day. I just purchased a fresh set of Vogues last week so Audio upgrades are out for this month.

mrgoodbar67
03-02-09, 04:40 PM
HAY Big reds caddy,

i did the same thing but with my zune.
i bought an interface from soundgate.com that allowed me to connect my zune to my nav via rca's.
now i can watch EVERYTHING thats on my zune on my nav screen.(including music menus, album art, pics, vids and wifi Zune store)
Sorry but zune kicks the ipods ass bro....
the interface allows charging and stock steering wheel control capablity....of coarse by buying the pacswips or peswips and connecting it to the interface.
i have some pics on here somewhere...in the sev/dev nav install thread.

99Classillac
03-07-09, 11:37 PM
Hey CadillacSTS2003, what do you mean it isn't plug and play? You can use the stock plugs, just do some wire cuttin and relocating on the harness and then plug her up. Some people might get confused bout what you mean. You taught me how to do it, remember?

CadillacSTS42005
03-08-09, 12:11 AM
ie
do not buy a nav and then plug it into your stock harness
you will fry your BCM

Nash-DTS
06-24-09, 04:57 AM
Hi,
I am a little confused here. I have a 2002 Deville DTS with a Bose CD/tape combo, no GPS and no disc changer. I have a Garmin Nuvi 760 and want to hard wire the audio input somehow as opposed to using a tape adapter. Am I correct in understanding that this is not possible without some type of harness? I have read several post on here but can't find anybody that has done what I want to do to my specific make/model. Are there no other options for something that seems so simple? I would really appreciate a nudge in the right direction here. Thanks, Nash

N*Caddy
06-25-09, 12:44 AM
I have done-it in my car (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=240)(both when it was Base and now after converting to BOSE). In BOSE cars is fairly easy involves just some connectors some basic electronics and that's it. Just look for my posts and you will discover how EASY is to hard wire an AUX input to your BOSE car (not so easy on non BOSE but no rocket science either). See the following threads:

AUX input (mostly non BOSE but with link to BOSE) (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/108708-auxiliary-input-seville-deville-catera-direct.html)

BOSE conversion (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-seville-cadillac-eldorado-forum/161811-stock-bose-conversion.html)

This is how I started all (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/92591-auxiliary-input-97-sts-any-suggestions.html)

Sorry the material is pretty messy and all over the place (represents my study over a period of 2 years) but in the end you have ALL the information you need.

You will keep all audio controls (Volume, Bass, Treble, DSP, etc.), also keep the CD changer and any other audio option - no compromise.
If you have more questions and you understand some basic electronics I CAN HELP YOU to build your own. Or I can sell you the one I have posted in the Classifieds.
As mentioned in my add, if you have base sound and you are in Toronto area I will do-it for FREE (as time allows me), just pay (or bring your own) ~$10 worth of parts (for me is easier to do a base than a BOSE). But the gig I made for BOSE is extremely easy to install (anybody can do-it).

Nash-DTS
06-25-09, 07:38 AM
N*Caddy

I just read all those posts plus a few more. I have to say, I really admire your passion. I don't know a thing about electronic engineering but I know a thing or two about passion, and man do you got it. That complete install you did and the story about the dealership was crazy.

Anyway, here is the deal. I read all that stuff and still have no clue what I need to do. Every car is a different year or every radio is different than mine etc. etc. ad nauseum.. :banghead:

I did not see your classified ad. How much would you want for the piece I need? Can you just tell me exactly what I would need to do to install it? I don't care about controls of anything. I don't care if the CD, cassette or satellite work at all. I never use them. I have no use for a disc changer either. I listen to the radio sometimes but other than that I have headphones in because I can't stand burning discs constantly. I just want to be able to plug in an auxiliary connection. I bought an external, hand held GPS and a 32 Gig SD card. I have it hooked up through a cassette adapter which sounds poor/medium. I want a direct connection that I can have volume control over.

Can you tell me what would be involved with this? Do I need to remove the HU? How much modification involved for my specific setup? How could I pay you for the part/your time?

Thanks for any and all help. To bad I live in Chicago or I would bring it over to you in a heartbeat after seeing your modification. :D Nash

N*Caddy
06-25-09, 08:51 PM
Does NOT matter what year is your car as long as the connector in the back is the same and is BOSE.
Here is what you need:
2 micro relays with 2NO and 2NC contacts ($5 each)
One 30 feet spool of 22 AWG wires (~$10)
One female 32 pin GM radio connector (~$12)
One male 32 pin GM radio connector ($12)
Two small project boxes (one for the AUX relays) and one for the AUX connector (~$3 each)
1 female 3.5 mm jack stereo connector with integrated AUX switch ($1.5)
Blank PCB sheet (at least as large as 2 matchboxes) cut it in two parts one to mount the relays in the AUX box (exactly as large as the inside of the AUX box) and one for the AUX connector BOX (same size) ~$6.50
One etch resistant masking pen (to draw the circuits) (~$7)
One role of black electrical tape (~$2)
One small role of aluminum tape (the kind use in AC ducts) (~$3)
Ferric Chloride as etching agent for the PCB
PCB use #64 drill bit (~$3) – (and you better have a Dremel and a Soldering Station)
Now if you happen to have a toolbox for electronic stuff most likely the last 5 in the list are in your toolbox (no need to purchase). Also you can go away using test PCB – no need for etching) but looks not as professional.
You don’t modify anything to your HU (but you need to remove-it to access the connector in the back), just disconnect the harness in the back of the radio, and plug one end of the AUX harness into the radio and the other in the car harness (basically you insert the harness between the car harness and the stereo) and you are done. Your biggest headache will be where to locate the AUX connector (in the glove box or what ever). The device I designed will work with any BOSE HU from ’96 to ’03 Seville/Eldorado/Deville/Catera w/o Navigation with NO modification.
Here are some picture of the AUX box (click on the pictures for the add)

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4138/1605091848.jpg (http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=5291&sort=1&cat=3&page=2)

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4091/1605091849.jpg (http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=5291&sort=1&cat=3&page=2)

Here is the PCB layout of the relay box (but keep in mind is designed for a specific type of relays – the ones I have).

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/5798/auxbox.png
Here is the PCB layout of the AUX input box (with some extra functions – can be omitted):

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9091/boardlayoutbose.png

Nash-DTS
06-27-09, 09:59 AM
How would you need payment for the harness?

Is there no other way to connect. I don't want to pull the HU. I can't use the disc changer or Sat?

N*Caddy
06-27-09, 06:11 PM
Is there no other way to connect. I don't want to pull the HU. I can't use the disc changer or Sat?[/QUOTE]

I believe it is for the CD changer, I am not 100% sure but maybe somebody can help you in here.
I also can make an adapter for a car equipped with CD changer, you have the option to listen to AUX input ONLY when the audio selected source is the CD changer. So select CD changer and listen to CD changer or listen to the AUX input if you plug the AUX input jack in (but you need to have a CD changer). This adapter in fact will work for ANY Cadillac with CD Changer (BOSE or BASE). But personally I don't find-it convenient to be forced to select CD changer in order to be able to listen to AUX input.
The adapter is the SAME just instead of having HU connectors it will have CD changer connectors. This will really be super easy to install just unplug the CD changer connector plug it into my adapter and plug my adapter in the CD changer (but you do need to run a very long harness from the CD changer if in the trunk to where you want your AUX jack, or not so long if is in the car - later models).
As mentioned I am almost sure there is an aftermarket adapter (probably around $80-$100 - that is the usual price) for the CD changer. This adapter will replace your CD changer (can't have them both). And usually these are I-pod specific (you can also control your I-Pod from the stereo). Some can work only with an I-Pod some give you a general AUX in input too.
Again I am not very knowledgeable in this since I preferred to do-it my self (I would not imagine loosing my CD Changer).
So here is something for your inform decision (I am talking about cars in special not Cadillac specific):
The CD changer port adapters for I-Pod allows you to control the I-Pod from the HU buttons: change song select between play lists (as if you will have a CD changer a play list in the I-Pod will be equivalent with a CD) including display on the HU screen. I do believe there are some limitations on how many play lists and songs per play list you can have. And yes this device is faaaaar (light years) more complicated than what I made for just a fraction of the cost more (because they make thousands) but unfortunately is little too specific for a certain application. Some might have a general-purpose AUX input (is very simple add on feature) but because that adds $0.99 to the price of the device (as opposite with the eventual competition) and not many people understand the HUGE advantage of this extra $0.99 will go with the cheaper device.
But will replace the CD changer (can’t have them both) for most of the people will be absolutely OK, but not for me I really like to have the CD changer.
Now there are some devices (slightly cheaper) that replace the CD changer and gives you only a general purpose AUX input (this will work with any audio device you have) but will not give you the I-Pod control (like change songs). This device is simpler (but still more complicated than my device by quite some margins) it is good if you want to connect not only I-Pods, you might need to connect your cell phone, a portable DVD, a Laptop PC a GPS potable unit, and so on. So this one gives you so much options but no song list controls. Also this will replace your CD changer (can’t have both).
Then is my device witch can work without CD changer if connected to the back of the HU (BOSE HU) – is an amazingly simple device and gives you a general purpose AUX input (can connect what ever you like). If you don’t like to remove the HU (witch is an very simple job – you can imagine how simple it is really) then you can connect it to the CD changer port but you NEED to have a CD changer installed.
If connected to the back of the HU, plug the AUX device IN automatically switches the sound to the AUX input with full audio controls over the AUX sound (including the chimes witch in some states I believe are mandatory by law) EXCEPT if you listen to the CD changer (no AUX on CD Changer). Or you can connect the same device (but with CD changer connectors) on the CD Changer, but in that case you NEET to have a CD changer and you will only be able to listen to the AUX input while the selected audio source is the CD changer. Off course you can still listen to the CD changer too if the AUX jack is not connected. Also preserves FULL audio controls. The advantage is simpler install (but not by much), disadvantage is you NEED to have a CD changer (also can’t listen AUX unless SOURCE is CD changer). Advantage, can connect ANY audio device you like and you keep all the factory options and functions (just add one extra).
Now as I mentioned I could help you make one, I provided some pointers regarding what is out there (not sure if for Cadillac – somebody please HELP) as for buying the one I have in classifieds (either connecting in the back of the HU or in the CD changer port – but again in that case YOU NEED to have a CD changer) I am sure the policy of the forum will not allow me to discuss it in a general thread (that would be advertising). Please leave a message to the Add (I don’t have secrets, will also inform other peoples) or send me a PM.

hargate
06-29-09, 07:21 PM
I have been reading your very detailed IPOD hookup posts and have one question that I did not see asked or answered. I have 02 DTS/BOSE, no NAV, no changer. My question is about an adapter of some sort that gives the Ipod access to the HU via that "unused option". I saw your instructions on modifying a BOSE unit but one of the goals seemed to be to maintain the changer functionality and that is not important to me. I want a solid signal to the Ipod and that is it. I apologize if this has been covered and i missed it. I know you mentioned that there are $100 adapters that give access to the HU and even offer Ipod control at HU but i cannot locate one. I have emailed and chatted with site reps all over the net looking for this and cannot find it. Where can I buy or do you sell?

Thanks in advance.

N*Caddy
06-30-09, 09:21 PM
I can make one for you (I have 90% of the parts left over from when I made mine) and I do have one add in Classifieds section (http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/showproduct.php?product=5291&sort=1&cat=3&page=2). I am sorry I really haven’t pay much attention to what it is available out there since I made my own. You can PM me if you need the one I have for sale but you need to be able (or know somebody) to remove the stereo to access the rear connector. I also posted all details you need to build one. See also this post (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-audio-video-security-systems/157820-cd-changer-mp3-player.html#post1926157), is a fairly simple build providing you have the tools and basic electronics skills.

hargate
07-01-09, 12:24 PM
I can make one for you (I have 90% of the parts left over from when I made mine) ...

so to add your part all that is necessary is to remove HU, detach harness, attach your patch to the HU (will it fit exactly?) and then attach the harness to the other end of the patch you will provide.

Nothing changes chime or functionality wise? what kind of lead comes off the patch? is it Ipod connector or standard headphone jack? And again you say that as soon as I plug the connector into my Ipod it will mute other "sources" and divert to what is coming from Ipod? One more thing, will the controls on the radio cycle through the library or do I use the Ipod controls to navigate? Jut trying to gauge where to place Ipod...run a line out or leave in glove box where changer was.

I now lots of questions, some of which have been covered but I am just double-checking.

Sorry to be a bother. I just bought this car for the road as I am now traveling much more. Car was in great shape and I actually like it a lot (first Cadillac). I never thought it would be this much trouble to jack in my Ipod and was about to do an expensive audio overhaul to change the HU to gain this ability. I really wanted to keep the stock system which looks better and sounds fine. Plus the car is really a work vehicle and I need to keep the expenses down on it if I can.

this is the most positive news I have gotten in my search. Thank you!

N*Caddy
07-01-09, 04:04 PM
so to add your part all that is necessary is to remove HU, detach harness, attach your patch to the HU (will it fit exactly?) and then attach the harness to the other end of the patch you will provide.

Nothing changes chime or functionality wise? what kind of lead comes off the patch? is it Ipod connector or standard headphone jack? And again you say that as soon as I plug the connector into my Ipod it will mute other "sources" and divert to what is coming from Ipod? One more thing, will the controls on the radio cycle through the library or do I use the Ipod controls to navigate? Jut trying to gauge where to place Ipod...run a line out or leave in glove box where changer was.

I now lots of questions, some of which have been covered but I am just double-checking.

Sorry to be a bother. I just bought this car for the road as I am now traveling much more. Car was in great shape and I actually like it a lot (first Cadillac). I never thought it would be this much trouble to jack in my Ipod and was about to do an expensive audio overhaul to change the HU to gain this ability. I really wanted to keep the stock system which looks better and sounds fine. Plus the car is really a work vehicle and I need to keep the expenses down on it if I can.

this is the most positive news I have gotten in my search. Thank you!

Nothing (but absolutely NOTHING) will change as far as the existing functions you got on your HU, chime, volume control, Bass, Treble, Balance, DSP, etc… The only difference is that when you plug the AUX source (I-POD, Phone, GPS portable unit … etc.) your HU will mute and you will listen to the AUX input source (with full control over the sound, as if that sound will come from the HU). The thing is plug and play, just unplug the harness from the HU plug my adapter in the HU and the harness in the adapter (no modification of ANY kind, the connectors are the same).
As I mentioned my gig is NOT controlling the I-Pod, only gives you a generic audio input where you can connect whatever portable audio device you like. So if you need to change songs and what not you have to do-it from your I-Pod. The connector available is a 3.5 mm jack female (same as the one for the speakers in the back of your computer). This is DEFINITELY more convenient than replacing the audio system where you would have to worry about security system issues, data wires, steering wheel controls, etc. Is almost as simple as those $15 tape adapters just that you need to remove the HU so you can access the connector in the back (but is a really a simple job).

Renew82
07-17-09, 11:49 AM
Well, I was able to determine which cavities in the radio connector that was utilized in the export Caddy. Once I figured out the cavity locations, I hard wired in an audio/video cable with an USB connector utilizing factory terminal ends. The USB connector is then used to charge my iPod in my Caddy thru a car charger in the cigar lighter hole while my iPod is installed. In one of my pitures, you'll see an USB connector where the ash tray used to be. In another picture, you will see the docking cable in the console with my iPod installed. Pressing the DVD button on the radio will switch the radio over the AUX setting allowing the iPod to play through the radio.

I was looking at my FSM last night and see what you're talking about. Where does one obtain some factory connectors? Would you mind if I sent you a PM to ask some additional questions?

Thanks.