: Tech How-To's, Guides, Compatibility Help

CadV
12-23-08, 10:12 PM
Figure we could start a thread about cool stuff you figured out, cell phone compatibility, problems, and help for future buyers.

Mods you can name this anything you want.

darjae
12-23-08, 10:35 PM
I have an iPhone 3G. Bluetooth works without issue, but if you plug it in as an ipod in the console, the phone complains that "This accessory was not made to work with the iphone) and prompts you to put it in airplane mode (turn the phone off). If you say no, it seems to work without issue. I've heard no interference when people call.

CadV
12-23-08, 11:08 PM
Apple iPhone 3G:

Here is a picture that shows a couple things. First the dongle Cadillac gives you with the car and second the error message you get when you plug the dongle into the car and iPhone.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2pshcba.jpg

The cable is too short to be able to close the armrest and for iPhone users it defeats the purpose to keep it inside the armrest.

The error message reads:
"This accessory is not made to work with iPhone"

"Would you like to turn on Airplane Mode to reduce audio interference? You will not be able to make or receive calls."

Simply click No and the iPod functionality in your iPhone will start working with the CTS-V.

I have been unable to transfer files from my iPhone to the HDD. I get the following error:
"Recording tracks from this media is not supported."

Here is a picture:
http://i39.tinypic.com/11c8was.jpg

Transferring MP3's to the HDD is a pain with media. The only media I got working was a CD-R. DVD+-R, RW and even DL did not work for me. It could be the media I was using so don't take my coasters as proof :P. The easiest way to transfer files is to copy them to a flash drive or external usb hard drive. Simple plug it into the car and give it time to build the song information (You will get a notification if you hit the record button to early). Once the song information is done (which does not take very long using flash or hard drive) hit the record button and you will see this:

http://i41.tinypic.com/5wa4iq.jpg

Click Yes and then you will see a progress bar go until completion.

The only thing I don't like about the V HDD is there is no folder browsing. You can also just use the external hard drive entirely and not even use the V HDD. Plug in a 200GB USB drive and play directly from it.

darjae
12-23-08, 11:56 PM
Apple iPhone 3G:

The only thing I don't like about the V HDD is there is no folder browsing. You can also just use the external hard drive entirely and not even use the V HDD. Plug in a 200GB USB drive and play directly from it.

I agree and that is my approach as well (external HDD). I've found if you put the iphone with top facing the back of the car, you can get it to fit. I'll post a picture later if that doesn't make sense.

another pet peeve is that you can either play by artist or album. If you have 5 albums by the same artist, it will treat all the tracks sequentially. If you search by album, artist is disregarded completely. It would be exponentially better if you could select "U2" (or whoever, no flames) and then see a list of U2's albums. I'm still playing with the record option (copy to HDD). I've experienced some strange things, but want to ensure that I can reproduce them and it's not just me getting "used to it."

Also, I'm not surprised that the iPhone didn't allow you to copy the music. Out of the box, iphones/ipods do not allow music to be copied from the device.

darjae
12-24-08, 12:01 AM
As a follow up: it takes so long to copy a CD or USB device to the hard drive that I think the best option is to put a large USB HD in the console. IPOD connectivity doesn't really buy you much as the radio seems to treat it mostly as an external hard drive (except telling you it's an ipod). I'd really prefer a rotary dial that mimics the ipod click-wheel.....not complaining 'cause we all know that the audio system is certainly not the most important aspect of this beast......hell, I'd take a walkman with headphones to keep this one.

CadV
12-24-08, 12:17 AM
As a follow up: it takes so long to copy a CD or USB device to the hard drive that I think the best option is to put a large USB HD in the console.

I totally agree and that is exactly what I am doing (Bought a 16GB Flash Drive). Hopefully that is big enough.

jvp
12-24-08, 01:01 AM
the phone complains that "This accessory was not made to work with the iphone) and prompts you to put it in airplane mode (turn the phone off). If you say no, it seems to work without issue. I've heard no interference when people call.

The concern I'd have is that you're not charging the iPhone that way, I don't think. Have you noticed battery usage when you have your iPhone connected? The problem (apparently) is that the cable supplied by GM is acting like a firewire connection, not really a USB one. The new 3G iPhones don't support firewire, only USB.

jas

jvp
12-24-08, 01:03 AM
As a follow up: it takes so long to copy a CD or USB device to the hard drive that I think the best option is to put a large USB HD in the console.

If I'm not mistaken, the HDD actually only has about 10G available for your songs, anyway. Right? The other 30G (or so) is taken up by the Nav system.

Maybe we can find some adventurous soul that has found the HDD, removed it, and replaced it with something larger? :-)

*cough* SSDD *cough*

jas

CadV
12-24-08, 01:46 AM
The concern I'd have is that you're not charging the iPhone that way, I don't think. Have you noticed battery usage when you have your iPhone connected? The problem (apparently) is that the cable supplied by GM is acting like a firewire connection, not really a USB one. The new 3G iPhones don't support firewire, only USB.

jas

Plugging the iPhone into the USB charges the phone so your good.

CadV
12-24-08, 02:15 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the HDD actually only has about 10G available for your songs, anyway. Right? The other 30G (or so) is taken up by the Nav system.

Maybe we can find some adventurous soul that has found the HDD, removed it, and replaced it with something larger? :-)

*cough* SSDD *cough*

jas

I think your right because I only have 3GB in MP3's and when I check HDD usage it says 72% free space.

atdeneve
12-24-08, 04:45 AM
Yup.

jvp
12-24-08, 09:21 AM
I think your right because I only have 3GB in MP3's and when I check HDD usage it says 72% free space.

Yep. Having the internal HDD is a nice feature, but serious audiophiles need more than 10G for their song library. My MP3s are all recorded in 320Kbit quality, and that makes them take up some serious space (yes, I can actually hear the difference...) HDD are so damn cheap these days that a 40G drive is actually a joke. There's really no reason GM couldn't have put on in that's a couple hundred Gig.

jas

jvp
12-24-08, 10:50 AM
I think the best option is to put a large USB HD in the console.

Potentially stupid question: have you found a USB HDD that can be properly powered by only one USB connection? I went poking around on NewEgg (only briefly, mind you) and I came across USB HDDs that either need 2 USB connectors, or an external 120v AC connection for power.

Also, does the stereo in the car understand playlists? Can you generate playlists on the HDD that you connect, and have the car recognize them?

jas

vperl
12-24-08, 11:01 AM
I am a subversive and cannot start a new thread:

Could somw one start a thread about the 2009 CTS-V: Coats, Jackets Hats, caps, mugs, key chains and all sort
of V stuff, Tee shirts, Polo shirts.... the whole nine yards.......

GM seems not to have any CTS-V Clothing or any of the other things mentioned above.

Thank you....

CIWS
12-24-08, 11:03 AM
64 GB flash drives are out, so 32 GBs have dropped (as well as the others)

CadV
12-24-08, 12:27 PM
Potentially stupid question: have you found a USB HDD that can be properly powered by only one USB connection? I went poking around on NewEgg (only briefly, mind you) and I came across USB HDDs that either need 2 USB connectors, or an external 120v AC connection for power.

Also, does the stereo in the car understand playlists? Can you generate playlists on the HDD that you connect, and have the car recognize them?

jas

Most 5400 RPM drives will work witha single USB. The 7200's usually won't. Playlists created on my computer work in the V.

jvp
12-24-08, 12:49 PM
Most 5400 RPM drives will work witha single USB. The 7200's usually won't.

Got it. As much of a computer geek as I am, I haven't kept up with USB drives. I think the flash drive is ultimately the better solution, though it won't have the capacity, obviously.

Playlists created on my computer work in the V.

Cool. Are the playlists just standard M3U file formats? The top of the file has:

#EXTM3U

And then each line following it is just the complete path to each song?

jas

CIWS
12-24-08, 01:12 PM
Got it. As much of a computer geek as I am, I haven't kept up with USB drives. I think the flash drive is ultimately the better solution, though it won't have the capacity, obviously.

This is true, but even a 32 gig flash drive will hold a great deal of music / audio even at 320 kbps sample and there's no moving parts. Solid State Hard Drives are certainly a possibility, but currently still too cost prohibitive for the capacity.

@ newegg 32 gig drives are 56.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134801

jvp
12-24-08, 05:27 PM
For those that have Bluetooth-connected their iPhones:

How much interaction can you do through the Nav screen with respect to taking calls, making calls, etc? Anything at all? Can you get to the contacts list within the iPhone so that you can make phone calls easily? Unfortunately, the iPhone stores its contact list in a not-very-common format. Only a few bluetooth car devices that I know of can actually read the contacts list properly. Can the V's?

jas

CadV
12-24-08, 10:15 PM

Cool. Are the playlists just standard M3U file formats? The top of the file has:

#EXTM3U

And then each line following it is just the complete path to each song?

jas

Yep :thumbsup:

CadV
12-24-08, 10:51 PM
For those that have Bluetooth-connected their iPhones:

How much interaction can you do through the Nav screen with respect to taking calls, making calls, etc? Anything at all? Can you get to the contacts list within the iPhone so that you can make phone calls easily? Unfortunately, the iPhone stores its contact list in a not-very-common format. Only a few bluetooth car devices that I know of can actually read the contacts list properly. Can the V's?

jas

From what I have experieced it does not do any of that. Everything is done with the phone and the car simply uses it's speaker/mic for the talking. When a call is placed only thing that shows up for me is hang up on the Nav. The telephone number your dialing also shows up where the g-meter is.

jvp
12-25-08, 08:23 AM
Everything is done with the phone and the car simply uses it's speaker/mic for the talking. When a call is placed only thing that shows up for me is hang up on the Nav.

OK, that's unfortunate but not terribly surprising. Anyone else bluetooth connect their phones? I know Mike has. Mike, do you use an iPhone or something else? Does your phone attempt to share its contact list with the V when you connect it up?

jas

darjae
12-25-08, 08:35 PM
Most 5400 RPM drives will work witha single USB. The 7200's usually won't. Playlists created on my computer work in the V.

I've been using the Western Digital Passport drives for years. They only need 1 usb plug and the case is only slightly larger than the drive itself.

I used to "build" my own by buying the case and the drive separately. At this point, that will only save you 5-10$, so it's really not worth it. I also have a few that are 7200rpm that work with 1 plug, but it's absolutely not necessary for audio. The slowest hard drives available today are fast enough.

GMX322V S/C
12-26-08, 02:53 AM
OK, that's unfortunate but not terribly surprising. Anyone else bluetooth connect their phones?...Does your phone attempt to share its contact list with the V when you connect it up?...I've pretty much experienced the same thing as CadV--Ford Sync it's not. There's no provision for copying/syncing your contacts list and no voice commands for dialing a phone contact by name. (iPhone 3G)

Kadonny
12-26-08, 09:09 AM
Putting some miles on the V today, I have 2 questions.

1. Has anyone found a way to have your seat/wheel presets adjust when you start the car rather than when you unlock it? I have this tendancy to bang my knee on the steering wheel when I get in if the presets have already been adjusted.

2. Where the hell is the display for how many miles on the car? Am I blind, I can't find it.

Short-Throw
12-26-08, 09:56 AM
Putting some miles on the V today, I have 2 questions.

1. Has anyone found a way to have your seat/wheel presets adjust when you start the car rather than when you unlock it? I have this tendancy to bang my knee on the steering wheel when I get in if the presets have already been adjusted.

2. Where the hell is the display for how many miles on the car? Am I blind, I can't find it.

1) Unfortunately this was one of the options that was removed to simply the programming choices. I noticed I couldn't do this the first 15 minutes I sat in the car during delivery. I made a call to the GM VLE and it was confirmed this feature was gone. I miss it quite a bit. It's not as convenient, but you can set the seat to stay all the way back with the memory 2 setting, and then hit memory 1 when you are seated.

2) This button is located just left of the steering wheel on the dashboard. It is next to the other buttons where you can select the DIC choices. You can hold down the 'check-mark' button to reset trip A or B.

Oh, you can also find this button in the owners manual! ;)

Mike

Kadonny
12-26-08, 10:32 AM
1) Unfortunately this was one of the options that was removed to simply the programming choices. I noticed I couldn't do this the first 15 minutes I sat in the car during delivery. I made a call to the GM VLE and it was confirmed this feature was gone. I miss it quite a bit. It's not as convenient, but you can set the seat to stay all the way back with the memory 2 setting, and then hit memory 1 when you are seated.

2) This button is located just left of the steering wheel on the dashboard. It is next to the other buttons where you can select the DIC choices. You can hold down the 'check-mark' button to reset trip A or B.

Oh, you can also find this button in the owners manual! ;)

Mike

Thanks Mike, I read the manual, quite a few times already but I just noticed this on the way to work and the manual is still sitting at home, don't shoot me please :gun2::abuse:

The seat thing is annoying.....oh well.

Thanks Mike for the info.

GMX322V S/C
12-26-08, 04:10 PM
So "Easy-Exit" recall doesn't exactly make for "easy entry" eh? I don't use it, but I can see your frustration...

edsuski
12-26-08, 05:24 PM
Also, using Easy Exit seems a little dangerous for a passenger seated behind you. If you open the driverís door before the person behind you exits - they stand the chance of being crowded by the driverís seat.... I think I will turn it off.

TheGeeman
12-26-08, 08:03 PM
Anyone else bluetooth connect their phones

I synced with Motorola RAZR. Easy to do. Compared with our other Bluetooth connections it lacks a lot a features. No information is displayed on the screen. No way to download contacts. It appears to me GM is encouraging the OnStar phone. But who cares! I just love the car.

On the pluse side, if you have multiple phones the car will automatically search for the next phone(s) if the first one is not found. With our other cars BlueTooth defaults to the last phone used and you have to tell it to use another phone in the list.

G.

jvp
12-28-08, 02:59 PM
Hey folks -

Sorry to dredge up this thread from a week ago or so. This particular question is directed at anyone that's used a USB device with their CTS (V or non), and said USB device has playlist files on it. I know CadV is one such forum member that's tried it with success. If anyone else has, then by all means, pipe up.. :-)

Generally, the playlist files are in M3U format. The file will be named something like playlist.m3u. It'll be formatted something like so:

#EXTM3U
Path/To/Song1.MP3
Path/To/Song2.MP3

It's possible that each song has a # comment between it and the previous song. Those are inconsequential for this discussion. The questions:

1. What character does the playlist use to delimit directories? Does it use the forward slash / or the backslash \ ?

In other words, does it look like:
/Path/To/Song1.MP3

or like this:
\Path\To\Song1.MP3

2. How does the actual path start? Does it start with a directory name? A Directory delimiter? Or a reference path? I'll give examples of what I mean, assuming the directory delimiter is a forward slash:

Directory name:
Path/To/Song1.MP3

Directory Delimiter:
/Path/To/Song1.MP3

Reference Path:
./Path/To/Song1.MP3

Here's why I ask: I'm trying to create playlists on my thumb drive without using any external programs (like iTunes, et al). I roll with a Mac, and I have full access to all sorts of awesome command line tools from the UNIX underpinnings of the OS. Making the M3U files is really easy, I just need to make sure I format them correctly.

So, could someone that has successfully imported a playlist on a thumb drive or USB drive into the V, open the playlist file in Notepad or somesuch, and maybe cut and paste a couple of lines into the forum, or just answer my questions if you can? :-)

Thanks!

jas (yeah, I'm a geek)

TheGeeman
12-28-08, 07:36 PM
I have copied songs from a thumb drive from my computer and then transferred them to the V hard drive. I did not place the songs in subdirectory--just filename.ext in the root directory.

G.