: 1991 Brougham Windshield washers

MT-ED
12-23-08, 05:11 PM
Any tricks to getting these working reliably? At their best they've been rather inefficient and now they're not working at all. Yeah....there is water in the resevoir :) Exactly how does this system work? There seems to be a diaphragm gizmo on the wiper motor?

Martin.

tru504187211
12-23-08, 11:37 PM
Yes, the factory service manual has more schematics and pictures than you'll ever want to look at. Apparently, as least according to that FSM, there are two types of motors, one with the delay and one without.

Are you sure your wiper fuse has not blown if they are not moving at all?

csbuckn
12-23-08, 11:47 PM
follow the line to the resevior and make sure its all intact. Also check inside the res to make sure the little floater thingie is together, mine was in pieces but it snapped back together.

MT-ED
01-07-09, 05:05 PM
Sorry for not replying guys. My post was never visible to me for some reason? In fact I've seen no new posts in ages, but now the Forum is working ok.

My car had the original piston pump gizmo with one-way valves driven by the wiper motor. I think basically the seals were shot and the housing had a hairline crack ingesting air. Even with some silicone sealer they wouldn't pump.

Eventually replaced the whole pump unit with the kit made by Trico. This is an easy swop with excellent instructions and gives you an impeller-powered pump instead of the weak pulsing stock item. Far superior water spread and more efficient by miles. This kit is a retrofit for many GM cars.

It's the 11-516 if you have intermittant wipers:

http://www.tricoproducts.com/downloads/download_common.cfm?file=ACF1701.pdf&folder=brochure

Got it fitted just as they went salt-spreader crazy around Toronto :cookoo:

Martin.

vpatasce
07-14-11, 11:17 AM
Mine don't work either. I replaced the washer pump, no help. I just received the wiper motor/pump combination. I'm going to put that on tonight. I'm excited. Probably won't work, but I'm still excited.

sven914
07-14-11, 01:32 PM
Replacing the switch (on the dash) usually gets mine to behave for a few months. Have you replace the switch?

If the pump/motor and switch don't fix the problem, you might need to replace the circuit board that is located under the pump cover.

brougham
07-16-11, 03:43 AM
Mine work but work too good and don't stop! Replacement pumps are junk and don't last more then a 6 months so I gave up on them and haven't pressed the button in years.

vpatasce
07-27-11, 12:12 PM
I put the new wiper motor/washer pump on. It worke twice. I'm going to put a universal one on and wire it to the washer switch (lots of big talk there beinz as I don't have the pump yet).