: Touring to Sport

MionJaCon
12-23-08, 04:39 PM
Would someone please explain to me how to change to sport from touring? I just got the car yesterday. Do I need to be stopped or can I change in mid-drive?

Cadillac Tony
12-23-08, 04:40 PM
Just press the little shock absorber button on the center stack (to the left of the airbag warning light). You do not need to be stopped.

The only difference between touring and sport is the "range" in which the Magnetic shocks operate. They obviously won't tell us exact numbers, but if you use a scale of 1-100 (with 1 being ultra soft), figure that the Tour mode uses 1-75, while the Sport mode uses 25-100.

Interestingly, Motor Trend turned better lap times with the shocks in Tour mode- they said that Sport was too stiff and caused the wheels to skip over mid-corner bumps.

MionJaCon
12-23-08, 04:44 PM
Awesome thanks. How much more of a difference is there in sport? Do I have more HP off the line??

Cadillac Tony
12-23-08, 04:48 PM
No, there's no more hp- all the switch changes is the bandwidth that the shocks operate in. Sport will be stiffer than Tour, but isn't really necessary for anything other than track use as the Magnetic Ride Control reads the road 1,000 times per second and will automatically stiffen the outboard shocks during cornering.

As I said in the first post, Motor Trend found the Sport mode useless even on a track. I wouldn't use it much.

Short-Throw
12-23-08, 06:05 PM
The only difference between touring and sport is the "range" in which the Magnetic shocks operate.

The real difference between the two modes are the algorithms associated with each setting. The MR shocks have their own microprocessor. This 2nd generation system is able to handle the iterations that were not available for the V1. There is more to it, but I am not allowed to say.

As I said in the first post, Motor Trend found the Sport mode useless even on a track. I wouldn't use it much.

Trusting Motor Trend or any car magazine that has the car on a very short borrowed time basis is silly. Most of these drivers have no idea how to trail-brake and rotate a 2-ton car.

I agree that for day-to-day driving, either mode is irrelevant, except the few times you hit some bumpy RR tracks, then you really can feel the difference.

The touring mode provides too much lean which can create a push before the car's suspension sets. There is a clear cut advantage of sport mode on the track and this will be proven as more Vs get into the owners hands and results are posted.

Mike

Mike

Jon
12-23-08, 06:30 PM
My dad's C6 has the magnetic suspension. It does make a difference on the track. Here's the funny part though, his sport setting is less harsh than my stock FE4s.

atdeneve
12-23-08, 08:01 PM
Just press the little shock absorber button on the center stack (to the left of the airbag warning light). You do not need to be stopped.

The only difference between touring and sport is the "range" in which the Magnetic shocks operate. They obviously won't tell us exact numbers, but if you use a scale of 1-100 (with 1 being ultra soft), figure that the Tour mode uses 1-75, while the Sport mode uses 25-100.

Interestingly, Motor Trend turned better lap times with the shocks in Tour mode- they said that Sport was too stiff and caused the wheels to skip over mid-corner bumps.

Probably just an oversight, but it's more like Touring Mode, 1-100, and Sport Mode 25-100, on a scale of 1-100 (soft-stiff). Both Tour Mode and Sport Mode have the ability to go to maximum damping. It's just a matter of how quickly it gets to that point. Sport Mode will obviously achieve full-on stiff damping much quicker than Touring Mode.

thebigjimsho
12-24-08, 03:51 AM
Trusting Motor Trend or any car magazine that has the car on a very short borrowed time basis is silly. Most of these drivers have no idea how to trail-brake and rotate a 2-ton car.

I hear that a lot. But I tend to trust guys like Pat Bedard and Larry Webster quite a bit and do think they can handle a 2 ton car rather well...

EricVonHa
12-24-08, 11:20 AM
I hear that a lot. But I tend to trust guys like Pat Bedard and Larry Webster quite a bit and do think they can handle a 2 ton car rather well...

"Rather well" is subjective. I've raced against Tony Swan and he is a "good" driver. Though, he is a much better journalist ;)

Short-Throw
12-24-08, 11:28 AM

I'm sure there are a few here and there, but overall I've never seen the Mags post times on road courses equal or better than the owners can. This isn't a dis on them, they simply don't have enough seat time in the car. However, saying that sport mode is ineffective on the track certainly questions their talent. This is where it truly shines.