: Steam Engine, Now What?

96CD
06-26-04, 07:29 PM
I'm sure there have been enough of you out there that have rebuilt the NS motor, now that I'll be pulling the heads, should I be doing anything else while its out? Any special areas to be looked at? As you recall, I pulled it because of the thing spouting out #8 like shamoo, not to mention into the manifold then into and out of the exhaust system. :bonkers:

BeelzeBob
06-28-04, 12:19 AM
Probably nothing else to do but the head gaskets. Timesert the head bolt holes for insurance at reassembly.

The heads and valves are likely fine. They can go several hundred thousand with no valve job or anything. Timing drive chains and oil pump are also life time parts so they will NOT need replacement or service. Just the head gaskets......

cadillacstars
06-28-04, 01:44 AM
aisde from time-sertting ALL of the head bolts, if you have the $$ replace every gasket that you can replace, that you cannot easily replace while the star is in the car. cheap insurance. GOOD LUCK:bouncy:

CAJUN-Z
06-28-04, 09:42 PM
What does a head gasket job normally run?....

sts96
06-30-04, 12:25 PM
Heavy agreement replace all gaskets on lower parts of engine even the crank sensors, all of mine were shrunken and leaking.
no leaks now. sts96

BeelzeBob
07-01-04, 01:16 PM
Yea, I would agree that fixing any obvious leaks in the lower end would be a good idea while the engine is out but if nothing is leaking then there would be little or nothing to gain by ripping the lower end apart. Just "fix" what is leaking or broken and don't make work/expense/risk for yourself.