: 09 Owners, what is this one button?

Kadonny
12-23-08, 10:03 AM
Ok the far left button on the rearview mirror next to the Onstar buttons. Is this supposed to be the automatic headlight/high beam on/off button as it was on my STS-V?

I can't seem to get it to do a damn thing and the manual does not mention it at all. If it is the auto high beam on/off, why is it not mentioned in the manual at all? Well, that plus I couldn't get it to work even if it is....unless it's super sensative.

Damn, there are a lot of buttons on this car I need to learn.

readyact
12-23-08, 10:07 AM
You are correct that is the on/off button for the mirror dimming. When you press the button you should see the green light right next to the button go on or off. You will only notice a difference in the mirror when a car is behind you with it's headlights on at night.

Kadonny
12-23-08, 11:38 AM
You are correct that is the on/off button for the mirror dimming. When you press the button you should see the green light right next to the button go on or off. You will only notice a difference in the mirror when a car is behind you with it's headlights on at night.

Ahhh, mirror dimming. I obviously saw the green light go on and off, but in my STS-V that button controlled the automatic high beams, not the dimming mirror. Thanks.

Ok if that's the case, why would you not want the mirror to dim automatically? Wierd.

jvp
12-23-08, 12:28 PM
Ok if that's the case, why would you not want the mirror to dim automatically? Wierd.

There are.. uh.. times... when you don't want your rear view to tint on you. Like, say, if a familiar looking pair of headlights comes up behind you. If the mirror is tinted, it makes it very hard to see if that familiar looking pair of headlights also has a light bar.

Just sayin... :-)

jas

JEM
12-24-08, 04:21 AM
Mirror dimming on/off! Aha! I think I now have a feature with which to sell the car to the spouse.

(I'm only half-kidding; her Bimmer doesn't have electrochromic side mirrors, and she's not wild about the ones in the Audi. I, on the other hand, kinda like 'em.)

GM-4-LIFE
12-24-08, 01:12 PM
Kadonny,

Congrats on your 09 V!!! I am sure you are loving it!

I never used the auto high beam button on my 2007 STS-V so I won't miss it when I get my 09 V. I actually like the auto dimming mirror feature as it is a more useable feature.

Enjoy your new car!

SG

Luna.
01-02-09, 02:17 AM
Ahhh, mirror dimming. I obviously saw the green light go on and off, but in my STS-V that button controlled the automatic high beams, not the dimming mirror. Thanks.

To be honest, I can't stand when they DO auto-dim. I'd much rather prefer to dim it when I want it to be dimmed. Why? Because I can see better when it's not dimmed.

Kadonny
01-02-09, 09:43 AM
Guess we're different then, I love the auto dim, and the auto headlights and the auto whatever else comes on the car;)