: Whats up with the lack of slotted rotors??

LV_V
12-22-08, 11:44 PM
(and why did my previous thread on this get deleted....wtf)

I've noticed the new V's are hitting dealer lots without slotted brake rotors? WTF is up with that???? I remember everything pre-release showed and refered to the V coming standard with slotted rotors and the track brake package having NON-slotted rotors. Anyone?

And I picked up my V from service today and was lucky enough to catch a peek of two 09 V's that just arrived this morning and have yet to be prepped. Both were black and auto with recaros. Apparently one is taken and one is available, so if anyone is looking in Vegas, Cadillac Las Vegas West has one in for you. I jumped in it, admired the beauty of the interior, the perfection of the suede steering wheel, and the excellent feel of the Recaro seats. Salesmen even let me start 'er up and rev the engine. Mmmmmmmm. HUGE mistake! I was going to try and hold out for a slightly used 09 or a new 2010, but jesus H its gonna be tough to hold out. The car is ridiculous.

When they get a manual in I will run down for a test drive. I don't even want to tempt myself with a measly auto :p ;)

I am very very jealous of everyone who already has one! :devil:

LV_V
12-22-08, 11:45 PM
Oh ya, gotta sell the 04 V before I even begin running the #'s!!!!

UnsafeAtAnySpd
12-24-08, 09:38 PM
Oh ya, gotta sell the 04 V before I even begin running the #'s!!!!

Just rock them both.

Speaking of. Does anybody own both a V1 and V2 yet? I mean, at the same time because obviously a lot of V2 guys previously had V1s.

vperl
12-24-08, 10:03 PM
this place may have what you are asking about

http://www.d3cadillac.com/vehicles-CTS-08.php

htlo1r
12-26-08, 11:44 AM
Gettin back to topic at hand... Yeah, I notice that mine did not have the rotors... Kinda overlooked it when I picked the car up... but man, that is a let down. All the advertisments say, slotted rotors. An to pay all that money an not get the brakes advertised. Kinda ticks me off. Yes I know there is a disclaimer on all the ads... But I wonder what else the car did not come with.... I think we all need to start screamin about this. Ship them to me I will put them on.... its worth it. Along with the discs send the red calipers to... (not released until summer) whats with that?????? I love the car but, man we did pay alot of money for this thing.

atdeneve
12-26-08, 03:26 PM
Not sure what you wanna scream about. They're the same rotors, sans the slotting. You get better pad life without the slotting, anyway, especially for track duty, and you'd be hard pressed to recognize any difference in performance.

Slotted rotors are mainly to prevent glazing - perhaps also affects release characteristics - and if you are experiencing glazing, you may just be better off getting a set of higher temp pads. You'll get better stopping power without any thermal glazing and, without the slots cutting away at the pad material, you'll get better pad life.

The red calipers are for the track package and that color change has no value to it, performance or otherwise. I don't understand what you think you paid a lot of money for and didn't get. The two piece rotors are what really distinguishes the track package and, that, you didn't pay for. You can also take note that those two piece rotors in the track package are not slotted.

There are things to get upset about. This is not one of them...

Razorecko
12-27-08, 10:13 AM
slotted rotors also help prevent break noise.

ExtraV
12-27-08, 04:41 PM
That is odd. The big CTS brochure I have from the dealer clearly lists slotted Brembo rotors as standard. Are we sure they are installing Brembos?

andrewjhaley
12-27-08, 06:19 PM
It doesn't make any sense to me that the track package would not have slotted rotors and the non-track package would. Looking at cars on dealer lots, I have not seen a new V with silver calipers(non-track) thats rotors are slotted in front or rear. It makes perfect sense that the track package would include two piece rotors at least in the front, that are slotted. I also vaguely recall they were doing an additional upgrade to the track optioned vehicles that would be more than just different color calipers and different rotors which would make more sense for the cost of the upgrade. It would be stupid for GM to release a crap rotor for the track package, and paint calipers for the price of the option.

GMX322V S/C
12-28-08, 03:16 AM
The two-piece track rotors were non-slotted for marginally better pad wear performance. Now that the production base rotors are also non-slotted, ostensibly the only things the track package brings are the two-piece rotors for quicker cooling and the color of the calipers. The calipers themselves and the pads are reportedly the same.

Greg*
12-28-08, 09:36 AM
I wonder if the two piece rotors are being used in place of the slotted rotors on these early production models due to a parts shortage? This is just a guess. Maybe a member of the forum can take a look and see if they have the two piece design. Below is a picture of the this style of rotor.

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/furious_four_doors/2009_cadillac_cts_v_road_test/2009_cadillac_cts_v/cadcts_v_prince_09_9/1624466-1-eng-US/cadcts_v_prince_09_9_gallery_image_large.jpg

jvp
12-28-08, 09:50 AM
I wonder if the two piece rotors are being used in place of the slotted rotors on these early production models due to a parts shortage?

Nope. They're one piece, non-slotted rotors. The track rotors aren't ready for prime time yet, which is why we're not seeing them as an add-on or orderable item.

jas

GMX322V S/C
12-28-08, 03:11 PM
While the stock rotors aren't two-piece, at least the front rotors are co-cast, where they join the cast iron disc and aluminum hat section into a single unit. This also reportedly helps with heat dissipation and saves more than two pounds per rotor.

ExtraV
12-29-08, 09:10 PM
Anyone find out why they are not being shipped with slotted rotors? I just noticed the Cadillac website still shows slotted rotors in all the pictures. Looks really good.

Luna.
12-29-08, 09:51 PM
And I picked up my V from service today and was lucky enough to catch a peek of two 09 V's that just arrived this morning and have yet to be prepped. Both were black and auto with recaros. Apparently one is taken and one is available, so if anyone is looking in Vegas, Cadillac Las Vegas West has one in for you.

I stopped by for service on 2 seperate occassions and they were tools, both times. I don't think I'd purchase a car from them...