: Picked up a 84 Deville

Josephchevy5596
12-22-08, 08:46 PM
Ok just picked up the 84 Deville today and the car does have a few problems may need a motor and trans. When i started the car it makes a popping noise back through the throttle body if i unplug one side of the throttle body it shuts off the car. Also it will not go in reverse all the time, works when it wants. Any suggestions to what may be the problem with the engine or trans are welcome and thanks in advance.

carnut
12-24-08, 05:22 PM
Popping thru the throttle body is most likely a flat camshaft. ( replace engine) Delay into reverse can be as simple as worn or missing shift cable bushings or a restricted trans oil filter. To verify flat cam, remove one valve cover at a time, start car and watch that all rocker arms move the same amount as they rock to open the valves. Ones that barely rock are the flat lobes on the cam.

Josephchevy5596
12-24-08, 06:25 PM
well i just took the valve covers off earlier today to find that the bridge that holds the rocker arms had broken and one of the bridges that connects the exhaust and intake rockers had also broken. looked like a simple fix untill i noticed that the lifter had came out its bore also and impossible to just put back in with out taken the intake off so now it's intake removal time

carnut
12-24-08, 07:12 PM
With that apparent luck, buy a lottery ticket!! be careful replacing the bridge. If not tightened by the book, it will break again. Actually having the intake off is a great time to verify all cam lobes are good and the intake gasket is the weak link in that engine anyway. Make sure if its reassembled that the GM sealant pellets are used in the cooling system. Should be a decal by the radiator saying that. Later finned aluminum valve covers use a o ring type of valve cover gasket which goes on dry so less chsnce of leaks developing later. Good luck.

Josephchevy5596
12-24-08, 09:24 PM
AWWWW well lucks not as good as i thought cam is still shot. think i might do a lt1 swap now

96Fleetwood
12-25-08, 07:46 AM
Sweet, LT1 or TPI 350 :cool:

Josephchevy5596
12-25-08, 03:31 PM
Im really leanin toward the lt1 i have a 94 with an 383 lt1 that i just reciently put together and i love it. So i'm thinkin im go with an lt1 in this one with a lil cam for a lil extra power.