: Comprehensive Car Company List: Who Owns Who?

Chuck C
06-26-04, 03:36 PM
I'd like to start a comprehensive car company list that accomplishes two goals: 1) reports the parent company and its subsidiaries and 2) reports specific car models and the platforms, engines, etc. from other car companies

The reason for doing so is because it is becoming difficult to track who owns who and which parts are being shared with such-and-such car.

I'll start it off:

1) Ford Motor Company (parent) - subs: Ford division, Lincoln Mercury division, Mazda Motor Corp., Volvo Cars of North America, Inc., Premier Auto Group (Jaguar, Aston Martin, Land Rover), andTH!NK electric cars in Europe

2) Saturn under GM alliance with Honda Motor Corp. for use of the Honda 3.0L V6 in the Saturn Vue

Sources: Hoovers online, Car and Driver Magazine

RBraczyk
06-26-04, 05:07 PM
GM owns- GMC, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Hummer, SAAB (unfortunately), Saturn, Buick, Pontiac, thats it i think.

majax
06-26-04, 06:00 PM
Opel, Holden, Vauxhaul, part of Suzuki, Subaru, and Daewoo

Msilva954
06-26-04, 06:33 PM
If you go into smaller companies you could say that Ford has some under 10% power in companies like Qvale and Panoz because of the drivetrains.

DaimlerChry----Chrysler, Dodge, Mercedes, Jeep, (Plymouth is coming back)

BMWGroup-----BMW, Rolls Royce, Mini

VolksWagonGroup----VW;Audi;Bentely;Bugatti;Seat;Skoda (Some Porsche right??)

Sandy
06-27-04, 12:02 AM
Does GM still own Lotus ??

How do you know Plymouth is coming back ?? Hard to believe!!

Chuck C
06-27-04, 12:41 AM
let's not get sloppy...cite your source even if it's the top of your head!

don't forget Isuzu Motors Ltd. for GM (top of my head & hoovers.com)

Msilva954
06-27-04, 09:40 AM
Isuzu is no longer with GM now.....arguments and they ended up buying theirselves back.

GM doesnt own Lotus, and there are talks of Ford Purchasing it to complete its total control over British cars, (Which is a good idea in MHO).

Yes according to alot of Chrysler sources Plymouth is indeed comming back. Why, dont ask me, its a bad idea to me, maybe Dodge will be the complete performance division and Plymouth the complete base models??? Dodge=SRT-4; Plymouth=Neon, maybe that is how it will work this time. Guess the Germans can be stupid once in a while, huh.:)

Msilva954
06-27-04, 09:41 AM
Lets not forget:

Hyundai---Hyundai;Kia
ToyotaMotor---Toyota;Lexus;Scion
HondaMotor---Honda;Acura
RenaultMotor ----Renault;Nissan;Infiniti;

Ill redo Diamler:-Chrysler;Dodge;Jeep;Maybach;Mercedes-Benz;Mitsubishi (Daimler/Chrysler owns 37%)wonder how long this will last;Plymouth (coming back);Smart (they once had Eagle and some of Hyundai too)

Fiat-----Alfa Romeo;Ferrari;Fiat;Lancia;Maserati
GM owns 20% of Fiat----Not Maserati or Ferrari though.

Peugeot----Citroen;Peugeot

My mistake on Porsche......they are independent they just work with VW

VW-Lamborghini

SsangYong---SsangYong (some ugly cars;I must add)

sorry for stealing the thread.....deeper into these companies there are some others too, but too little to mention.

Vesicant
06-27-04, 06:38 PM
Daimler Corp: Mercedes-Benz, Chrysler: Freightliner, Dodge, Jeep, SsangYong, Maybach, McLaren.

Ford: Navistar(International), Mazda, Lincoln, Jaguar, Volvo, Land Rover, Aston Martin, Mercury.

General Motors: Chevrolet, GMC, Pontiac, Cadillac, Saturn, Buick, Oldsmobile, Saab, Hummer, Opel/Vauxhall, Isuzu, Holden, Fiat, (part)Subaru/Fuji, Suzuki, Daewoo, lost ties with Lotus...(makes the speedster/vx220 for GM)

Volkswagen Group: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, SEAT, Skoda, Part Porsche

Nissan: Infiniti, Renault, Dacia

BMW: MG-Rover, Mini, Rolls-Royce, Isetta, Glas, (Once Land Rover-Engine),

Peugeot: Citroen

Fiat Group: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Lancia

Toyota: Lexus, Daihatsu, Scion,

Honda: Acura

Hyundai Motor Group: Kia

Well.. this took me an hour to do, but thats about all the major ones i can think of. A little bit of these are ties and/or stock holders.. not many.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automobiles#Current_Automotive_Corporation s

Msilva954
06-27-04, 07:11 PM
MGrover is independent if im not mistaken and so is ssangyong. But as you say they must be share holders to the respective company.

Subaru, while having some shares with GM is owned by Fuji Heavy industries.

Chuck C
06-27-04, 08:00 PM
fine work JeffreyG! from that site:

"Currently General Motors has a stake of 20% and tries to revive the Suzuki brand in the United States with new models: the Verona, which is a modified second generation Daewoo Magnus, and the Forenza, based on the Daewoo Lacetti."

I think it's time to bust out the accounting definitions (U.S. GAAP) about equity share:

Ownership Interest of more than 50% of common stock = control
Ownership Interest of between 20 and 50% of common stock = significant influence
Ownership Interest of less than 20% = no significant influence

To have significant influence (20-50%) could mean a variety of things: the investor is on the investee's Board of Directors, makes policy decisions, has material (big enough to matter) transactions with the investee, leverages managerial personnel to the investee, or depends on the investee for some sort of technology. Of course the 20% criterion is merely a guideline, and as a result, professional judgment is needed in interpreting the principle.

therefore, it looks like GM exerts significant influence over Suzuki and probably helps with Suzuki policy making and management.

Source: APB Opinion 18

Msilva954
06-27-04, 08:18 PM
Id imagine Suzuki really needs it too. Without GM there would be no trace of them here except for their motorcycles......the same goes for alot of other companies too (Mercury;Saturn) are the first 2 that come to mind.

DopeStar 156
06-28-04, 04:34 AM
All car companies are owned by the Universal Powers Alliance which is a large group of supremely intelligent beings who have a base of operations in the Rydul 6 Galaxy. Being the best of the best they all drive Cadillac Voyages which are actually powered by Bringtonic Fuel cells and have Bringtonic Northstar Infinite Valve V-Infinities!!! That's why the Voyage concept vanished! We weren't good enough for it! Wanna know where the 2005 Fleetwood is? Oh yeah....it exists.....and I've seen it.....

Brett
06-28-04, 10:35 AM
Ahhhh, nice cleaned up thread