: wont start

dglad
12-22-08, 04:05 PM
Hello i have a 98 catera recently i had to have a new key made and have the car programmed now it wont start started fine before my son lost the key but now im getting no fuel or spark could they have programmed the car wrong.

Southern-Hospitality
12-22-08, 05:30 PM
I had this problem too, mine was the Crankshaft Positioning sensor. If it is, it's about a $300 fix. Try leaving the key in the on position (not the start) for about 10 Minutes, then give it a start. If it starts and runs in 2nd gear that's your problem.

There is a chance they programmed the key wrong, unfortunately it sounds like you don't have another key to test with. So take it back and tell them it won't start the car.

Don't get the position sensor done at a GM dealer because it will probably cost you $600 or more.

Good luck!

dglad
12-22-08, 05:48 PM
its going back next week to the dealer i hope its the key the car was in an accident and my son lost the key the dealership reprogrammed it but it wouldnt start then they wanted 195 dollars to put it on the computer so i had my normal mechanic get it he thought it was the fuel pump but that wasnt it so now i have to take it to the dealership and put it on the computer. but before the key was lost it would start no problem.