: Looking to buy a laptop. Need some help.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-22-08, 04:17 PM
So per the new job, I need a laptop for running all of the Microsoft business applications (Excel, Powerpoint, Word). The only requirements are that it's gotta have 3 GHz of processor speed, and 3GB of RAM. Windows is not required, but it makes things easier if it is. I still prefer the Macintosh because it's easier for me to use, and it's much less suceptible to viruses. My only concerns is that they don't have the MS Office stuff as standard, they're more expensive from the get-go, and they won't play many of the games I like.

Anyways, as far as PC laptops go, I'm fond of the VAIOs. I like the Sony nameplate, their cost is quite comparable, they seem to be pretty reliable, they're not as common as a Dell or HP (won't go HP...too mainstream, want something higher-end). I'd rather not go Dell because it seems like everyone and their mom has one. I like Sony and Toshiba. What about Lenovo? Are they a sub brand of IBM or something? I seem to remember IBM and Lenovo being connected at some point and Lenovo doesn't seem to have the history that the big players do. Am I right? Were they spawned from IBM?

Here are the VAIOs I like:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=VGNCS190EUW

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&partNumber=VGNCS190EUR

Here's the Dell XPS I like. What's the difference between the XPS and Inspiron?
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1530?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~xpsnb_m1530_anav4~~ (http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsnb_m1530?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&%7Eoid=us%7Een%7E29%7Expsnb_m1530_anav4%7E%7E)

Here's the Lenovo that I like. Seems a bit more expensive, plus I have to add in the MS Office stuff I need.
http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=3D30F7A2971B44DB9D15A7051B04CC0E

Here's the Macbook that I like, except to get it to the level of power and memory of either of the others, the price runs about $1275 before tax and stuff, so it's not the fiscal choice. I'd go with the white 13 inch Macbook.
http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=NzUzNDUy

Oh, here are the Toshiba models that work best for me. I don't really want anything bigger than a 14.1" screen, and the Toshibas are a little...."bland" looking if you ask me, but I suppose in a pinch it'd work. Anything is better than an HP.
http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/laptops.to?price=$800%20-%20$1,000

I think I'll probably end up going with the Sony.

dkozloski
12-22-08, 04:42 PM
I went to Walmart and bought the cheapest thing they had in stock at the time. I wound up with an HP Pavillion with a 17" LCD for a little less than $900 and it does everything I need. I used to study every PC purchase to death and I built a lot of my own machines. The performance level of the typical store bought macine is so high at the present time that just about anything you see in the stores is more than adequate for the average bear.

Coma
12-22-08, 04:49 PM
It's a buyer's market right now. http://www.clevo.com.tw

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-22-08, 04:52 PM
It's a buyer's market right now. http://www.clevo.com.tw

That looks promising. What differentiates Clevo from the other brands?

gary88
12-22-08, 05:29 PM
Before I switched to a Mac, I had two Sony Vaios which I liked. My first was basically a desktop replacement with a 3.2ghz processor. Downsides were it was huge, heavy, and the battery life was terrible (about an hour). My next one that I had for two years just up until this September was the VGN-FS840W. A little lighter but with a slower 1.73ghz processor. The battery life really wasn't that much better than my previous Vaio. They both had beautiful screens, one of Sony's strong features. One thing about both was they got HOT after running for awhile. I'm talking almost burn you to the touch hot.

Now I don't want to sound like the typical Apple fanboy, but I regret not making the switch to Mac sooner. My MacBook Pro is built like a W140, battery life is superb, and it's much easier to carry around than both of my Vaios (lighter too). OS X is a joy to use, in the three months I've had mine so far I haven't had a single problem at all. It runs like clockwork. Not to mention you can run Microsoft Office on it, or even run Windows on it. (I'm also pretty sure Windows Office doesn't come standard on PCs anymore either. Might just be a 30 day trial now). Yes you pay a premium for Apple products, but I believe it's worth it. Plus their customer service is top notch.

Any specific reason for needing 3ghz? The highest you can go with an Apple notebook right now is 2.8ghz in the new MacBook Pro which will run you at least $2800. You can get excellent deals on refurbished units though.

Coma
12-22-08, 05:31 PM
Clevo actually makes the laptops that Dell, HP, Acer and many other brands sell. They are what's known as an ODM (original design manufacturer). Dell just rebrands them. If you want a powerful notebook for a good price, check out www.sagernotebook.com (http://www.sagernotebook.com). Sager is the USA distributor for Clevo.

Just another option for you to consider.

And to comment on the 3GHz requirement. Nowadays, that is probably unrealistic, because all the CPU's are dual/quad core and have a much lower processing speed, but the same horsepower, if not more.

ryannel2003
12-22-08, 05:40 PM
I've had several friends with Vaio's who had nothing but problems. On top of this, technical support is lacking severely from what they told me. I had an HP laptop and liked it, but was poorly built and lacked speed.

I too have a Mac (White MacBook) and haven't had a single issue with it. It's plenty fast, offers lots of software and has a sleek, elegant design. Don't have to worry about viruses either. If you have any Windows software you need to run, you can easily install XP on a separate partition and use it like a regular PC.

This is my 6th Mac and surely won't be my last. If there is an Apple Store nearby, go check 'em out.

Night Wolf
12-22-08, 05:51 PM
I am quite happy with my HP (DV6605US), it's been over a year now, especially in design, features and price, got mine for $570 or so on sale. Lotsa cool stuff, but you said no to HP for insignificant reasons.

I agree witht he other statements, no need for 3ghz processor, and I'll go on a limb and say that 3GB of RAM is not enough, especially if running Vista and you are going to be running alot of programs and applications. My laptop came with 1gb, which I then upgraded to 2.5gb and now it is maxed out at 4gb, which it used up in no time.... Vista is a total memory hog.

If I decide to get another laptop in the future I would probably check out HP first, as I am happy with mine.... or maybe switch to a Mac to try something new.

IBM used to make, IMO, the best laptops. Then they sold the ThinkPad name to Lenovo who was building the Tpad under license.... now, they carry a few ranges, a lower model, and still the ThinkPad as their high end, to my knowladge (which is now a year old atleast) it is still in most part an IBM... IMO Tpads had the best keyboard of any laptop.

Cliff8928
12-23-08, 03:22 AM
Now I don't want to sound like the typical Apple fanboy, but I regret not making the switch to Mac sooner. My MacBook Pro is built like a W140, battery life is superb, and it's much easier to carry around than both of my Vaios (lighter too). OS X is a joy to use, in the three months I've had mine so far I haven't had a single problem at all. It runs like clockwork. Not to mention you can run Microsoft Office on it, or even run Windows on it. (I'm also pretty sure Windows Office doesn't come standard on PCs anymore either. Might just be a 30 day trial now). Yes you pay a premium for Apple products, but I believe it's worth it. Plus their customer service is top notch.

Any specific reason for needing 3ghz? The highest you can go with an Apple notebook right now is 2.8ghz in the new MacBook Pro which will run you at least $2800. You can get excellent deals on refurbished units though.

Not to mention that the new MacBook/Pro chassis is absolutely amazing! The one thing I don't really like is the glossy screen. I may pick up a new MacBook Pro if/when a 17" model comes out to replace my aging 17" Powerbook G4 1.33.

My mom just replaced her *original* iBook with a 15.4" 2.6 Ghz MacBook Pro earlier this year. I was amazed at how well the iBook still kept up with general use, even only being 300 Mhz.

LS1Mike
12-23-08, 03:37 AM
Don't get a Toshiba, my wife bought ours without talking to me, what a pile of poop.
We have had it 2 maybe 3 years. 2 screens, 1 hard drive, 2 batteries, and I had to open the case to
solder the leads back on for where you actually plug the power supply into the computer.

Plus I am still mad at them for the whole Submarine thing, but their they still make crap for
a laptop.

tman2093
12-23-08, 07:19 AM
Clock speed isn't what it used to be. For years AMD had faster chips at lower clocks than intel. Intel changed their architecture and despite lower posted speeds, they're damn quick.

Try the MacBooks, my 12" powerbook, despite being outdated, it still plenty fast and a looker.

Jesda
12-23-08, 09:31 AM
Avoid Toshiba.

Lenovo makes some really solid stuff, and for lower end equipment HP and Compaq build simple but durable machines.

Dell's entry-level stuff is generally terrible. Acer is a mixed bag. I have an Acer and it has all kinds of annoying flaws like a jumpy mouse, cheap plastic, loose power connector, and gummy keyboard. My Compaq F572 was slower and heavier but far superior.

c5 rv
12-23-08, 01:20 PM
Earlier this year, I bought an HP mini note (2133) as a work laptop. I wanted something really small and I use it mainly for meetings at client sites. The PC works great, but it makes a lot of heat.

I considered a Mac, but I wanted something smaller and Macs weren't supported by my current client's IT staff. Here's a recent article on why you should choose a Mac:

http://www.freep.com/article/20081212/BLOG01/81212032/1162

gdwriter
12-23-08, 02:34 PM
Add another vote for the MacBook. I've been using Macs since 1990, and I love OS X. Have had my MacBook Pro for a year and a half, and it's been perfect.

If you go with a Mac, see if your brother can buy your computer using his student ID. That'll get you $100 off. You can also get the student & teacher edition of Microsoft Office for ~$150. It's got Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Entourage/Messenger, and AFAIK, it has all the bells & whistles of the standard version of Office.

I don't know much about PCs, but if you do go that route, if you're getting a machine with Vista, make sure you have plenty of RAM. Against my advice, my mother bought a low-end Compaq laptop with a Celeron processor (the Cimarron of chips) and Vista. With the standard amount of RAM, that thing was slower than a VW Microbus going uphill. She finally got some additional RAM installed, but I still think it's a POS.

ryannel2003
12-23-08, 03:05 PM
^I had a Compaq Presario C560 with a 1.5GHz Celeron M and 512MB RAM: it was unuseable. It took 10 minutes just to load the desktop, and another 20-30 seconds to open the start menu. Loaded it with 1GB, and it was better, but still slow.

If you do go the Vista route, I'd go with no less than 4GB aswell. I have a 2 year old Dell desktop with a still decent Dual-Core AMD Athlon 64, Vista Basic and 1GB, and it still struggles to run. I've got 4GB on order.

Coma
12-23-08, 03:30 PM
I have a MacBook Pro (got it for free in one of those do-it-yourself pyramid schemes...) and it's awesome. Super-thin! Of course, I made use out of it and installed Windows on it. Can't let that nice Intel hardware go to waste!

The only real problem with Macs is the heating and the fact that they cost and arm and a leg. But Windows runs so smooth on it, without a hitch. A good option if you have the money, or the time and patience to get a do-it-yourself, free laptop.

hueterm
12-23-08, 04:01 PM
In general, I'd say go as cheap as you can with as much memory as possible. Even more so w/Vista. The thing will be half obsolete in a year.

Also, IMO -- Vista and MS Office 2007 both = ASS

But one question....the company makes you use your laptop for their business? That's just a bit of a surprise, I would think that they would want more control over the computer than that...

ryannel2003
12-23-08, 04:10 PM
I have a MacBook Pro (got it for free in one of those do-it-yourself pyramid schemes...) and it's awesome. Super-thin! Of course, I made use out of it and installed Windows on it. Can't let that nice Intel hardware go to waste!

The only real problem with Macs is the heating and the fact that they cost and arm and a leg. But Windows runs so smooth on it, without a hitch. A good option if you have the money, or the time and patience to get a do-it-yourself, free laptop.

You never tried using OS X?

gary88
12-23-08, 04:32 PM
If you do plan on getting windows though, Microsoft is still letting people "downgrade" to XP until I think April of next year. Kinda tells you something about what they think of Vista themselves haha.

Coma
12-23-08, 04:41 PM
You never tried using OS X?

Of course, and it was fun. But when it came down to actually using the computer and all of my applications, games, programs. Well, what is the point in using OSX? ;)

ryannel2003
12-23-08, 04:43 PM
I can definitely understand. Certain programs do run better with Windows, which is why I have my Dell. Plus, it can be expensive to switch over your programs.

gdwriter
12-23-08, 05:00 PM
Also, IMO -- Vista and MS Office 2007 both = ASS:werd:

I occasionally have to help my boss out with PowerPoint stuff, and Office 2007 is totally effed up with all the familiar menus and stuff reorganized and not well at that. Fortunately, because of Apple's software design standards, Office 2008 for the Mac has all the menus where they're supposed to be.

Coma
12-23-08, 05:16 PM
Um, Excel 2007 is amazing. Row limit increase? Yes please. And Outlook hasn't really changed much, just a few things moved..

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-23-08, 06:54 PM
I suggest Toshiba. They have some really unique notebooks with great features. I really like their tablet notebooks.

I just bought a laptop off a person at work for $200. Its a Dell e1505 notebook. Yeah its a few years old but it does everything I need to do (internet and Word mostly) and it works just perfect. Plus, the battery lasts nearly 4 hours!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-24-08, 02:51 PM
First of all, thanks for the advice everyone.

Secondly, I went to Best Buy with a couple of friends yesterday to take a peek at the laptops they had on display. I actually like the way the HP's look and feel compared to the VAIOs. They have a more modern, sleek design. The VAIOs (aside from that white one I posted) all look and feel kinda...industrial... Same with the Toshibas. The Macintosh and HP's please me the most when it comes to aesthetics. Plus, the HP's are a bargain when compared to the Sonys, which is nice too, and they have more features for the dollar. So I think if I go PC, I'm going HP. Surprisingly enough. :eek:

Although, I did play around with the Macbook and liked it quite a bit. It was smooth, clean and aesthetically pleasing. My biggest worry was that it wouldn't support many of the games I like, but they do.

ryannel2003
12-24-08, 11:03 PM
The new HP's are extremely impressive machines; quite a few of my friends have gotten them and loved them. If I was in the market for a PC laptop, HP and Lenovo are the only two I would consider.

Destroyer
12-25-08, 12:00 AM
My experience with the Toshiba Satellite and Sony VAIOS are both pretty bad. Bad to the extent that I gave the VAIOS to my 8 year old daughter and the Satellite to my 65 year old mom. Nothing but problems with both!. The VAIOS is currently being repaired...............AGAIN, for the 3rd time since I bought it and it never even leaves my daughter's room. Sucks when a high end laptop can't even handle going to webkinz.com or littlestpetshop.com. :mad:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-25-08, 12:07 AM
Sucks when a high end laptop can't even handle going to webkinz.com or littlestpetshop.com. :mad:

So it probably couldn't handle teensteam.com? :eek: :(

Destroyer
12-25-08, 01:06 AM
So it probably couldn't handle teensteam.com? :eek: :(
I am trying real hard to refrain from checking out what "teensteam.com" is. :hide:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-25-08, 04:05 AM
I am trying real hard to refrain from checking out what "teensteam.com" is. :hide:

I think its right up your alley. :thumbsup:

hyperboimmv
12-25-08, 06:25 AM
Lenovo owns IBM's personal computer line. I'd go Lenovo or Dell. If you go Dell, either XPS or Latitude.

A few people I know (including my mother) have had Vaios over the years, and they have had nothing but problems. My mom has had two Vaios and both have never ran right. There are some people that love them, and there are some people that hate them. I would use one if it were given to me, but I would never pay for one.

When I was in the market for a laptop, the general opinion was that HP made crappy consumer grade laptops. For most of these companies, the business-based laptops are better. Any of the thinkpad models from Lenovo seem good. And with Dell, the Latitude line is their flagship in the business world, and the Vostro line seems alright, granted they are mainly inspirons in different cases.

No matter how you go, make sure you don't get a laptop that has shared memory listed under the graphics options. You need something with a separated graphics processor. If you keep that one thing in mind, you should end up with a good gaming laptop.

Coma
12-26-08, 10:18 AM
If you plan on playing any games on this notebook, I would not get a MacBook. It's graphics capabilities are under par. As with all notebooks that don't have a dedicated video card. But I'm sure you'll be fine with whatever you buy.

Cliff8928
12-26-08, 01:26 PM
If you plan on playing any games on this notebook, I would not get a MacBook. It's graphics capabilities are under par. As with all notebooks that don't have a dedicated video card. But I'm sure you'll be fine with whatever you buy.

The Intel GMA950 went out with the old generation of MacBook.

The new ones are the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M which is significantly better.

concorso
12-26-08, 02:15 PM
Avoid Toshiba.
Im not as edjamacated with computers as some of you are, but Ive taught myself alot and Im curious why computer savvy folk always say this about Toshiba. Ive got 5 Toshiba laptops running in my house right now. 3 have had Vista replaced by XP. All run Photoshop, Autocad and burn cd's frequently... All are hard connected to the internet, and all download constantly. I have yet to have any problems! One battery died and that had to be replaced out of pocket. 2 of these laptops are from 3 Christmas ago. 1 From last Christmas, and the other 2 were bought this past summer.

Am I just lucky?

hyperboimmv
12-26-08, 05:21 PM
Im not as edjamacated with computers as some of you are, but Ive taught myself alot and Im curious why computer savvy folk always say this about Toshiba. Ive got 5 Toshiba laptops running in my house right now. 3 have had Vista replaced by XP. All run Photoshop, Autocad and burn cd's frequently... All are hard connected to the internet, and all download constantly. I have yet to have any problems! One battery died and that had to be replaced out of pocket. 2 of these laptops are from 3 Christmas ago. 1 From last Christmas, and the other 2 were bought this past summer.

Am I just lucky?

What models?

LS1Mike
12-26-08, 08:55 PM

Am I just lucky?

You maybe, Mine is a Satellite A105 and has been the worst computer (except for my Commodore VIC-20) that I have ever owned.
Just unreliable and locks up and stops running whenever it feels like.

The main reason I was mad at the wife for getting one is the following.
Pulled from Wikipedia, but you can find it everywhere on the web.

In 1987, Toshiba Machine, the subsidiary of Toshiba, was accused of illegally selling CNC milling machines used to produce very quiet submarine propellers to the Soviet Union in violation of the CoCom agreement, an international embargo on Western exports to East Bloc countries. The Toshiba-Kongsberg scandal involved a subsidiary of Toshiba and the Norwegian company Kongsberg Vaapenfabrikk. The incident strained relations between the United States and Japan, and resulted in the arrest and prosecution of two senior executives, as well as the imposition of sanctions on the company by both countries.[3] The US had always relied on the fact that the Soviets had noisy boats, so technology that would make the USSR's submarines harder to detect created a significant threat to America's security. Senator John Heinz of Pennsylvania said "What Toshiba and Kongsberg did was ransom the security of the United States for $517 million."

Since I spent some time going to sea on Submarines that could personally affect my life and the lives of my friends.
Not cool.

Mark0101
12-27-08, 12:51 AM
Yea my sister has a Toshiba satellite A105 also and it has been the very unreliable. It has crashed so many times that it is hard to remember how much data she has lost. It is 2.5 year old laptop but its been like this from day one. It does have a very nice screen and features but completely useless if its not working. The case also squeaks whenever you move it. Oh yea did I forget it only last 25 mins on a full charge...lol

I bought my laptop after seeing what I really needed in a LAPTOP, and that was Battery life. I bought an dell inspiron E1405 that had a battery life of 8 hours. (now its only 6 hours) It has a very good processor for normal useage.(1.6 GHz dual core), 80 GB, 1.5 GHz of RAM but no graphic card. That is what I miss because it can't play highend games like the new GTA IV. It can play the others GTA series and games like Age of empire but only at low settings. It only heats up when I play games but normally it is very cool to the touch unlike the toshiba. I bought this Laptop for college and it has been great for the price I paid 2 years ago.($700) The only thing I hate is the screen, its not tight anymore.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-27-08, 02:39 PM
I'm pretty much sold on the 13 inch Macbook. I'll probably go pick it up later today or tomorrow.

ryannel2003
12-27-08, 10:45 PM
Congrats on the decision Chad. Give OS X some time; it's not an overnight thing. You'll learn to love it!

For anything Mac related, check out MacRumors (forums.macrumors.com). Lots of information about everything Mac right there.

Cliff8928
12-28-08, 04:04 AM
I'm pretty much sold on the 13 inch Macbook. I'll probably go pick it up later today or tomorrow.

Get the aluminum one, not the white plastic one...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-28-08, 11:54 AM
I'm now posting from my 13 inch aluminum Macbook. I went with the $1299 model, with the 2.0Ghz processor, 2.0 Gb of ram. I like it a lot. :thumbsup:

Now to load all of my 1800 songs onto it... :banghead:

gary88
12-28-08, 01:19 PM
Welcome to the Mac club :highfive:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-28-08, 01:26 PM
Welcome to the Mac club :highfive:

Thanks! Just think Gary, if you play your cards right, someday I'll be welcoming you into the German Car Owner Club. :thumbsup: :p

gary88
12-28-08, 01:48 PM
Even if I buy a 318i?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-28-08, 02:14 PM
You won't get a welcome, instead we'll throw you a blanket party.

ryannel2003
12-28-08, 02:52 PM
MacBook's are great machines, though I'm jealous you have that super cool aluminum model and I'm stuck with the old white plastic.

Coma
12-29-08, 10:19 AM
I got to play with a new gen MacBook over the holiday weekend. Yes, the graphics are still lacking, as expected. And the one thing that surprised me was the inadequate internal speakers. Compared to my MBP, they are terrible. What gives?

gary88
12-29-08, 01:26 PM
It's lower on the product chain.

ryannel2003
12-29-08, 02:16 PM
I don't find them particularly bad, but they aren't great either. They lack volume, but they are 10x better than my old iBook G4, which had the worst speakers I've ever heard.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-29-08, 07:03 PM
I think the speakers are fine, but I don't demand much of them.

Night Wolf
12-29-08, 08:38 PM
Even if I buy a 318i?

If it's a late-model E30 318i (M42) that would be one heck of a fun car that gets 35mpg!

Congrats on the Macbook!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-29-08, 09:48 PM
Naw, I think he was referring to the newer 318...the one offered as a hatchback. Unless that's the E30, but I could have sworn that had the newer E36 front fascia on it.

Night Wolf
12-29-08, 10:55 PM
Naw, I think he was referring to the newer 318...the one offered as a hatchback. Unless that's the E30, but I could have sworn that had the newer E36 front fascia on it.

IIRC those are 318ti or something like that, only made them a few years... they are E36.

gary88
12-29-08, 11:07 PM
There's an E46 version, I don't believe it came to the US though. I saw some while in Europe before and they are ugly as sin.

(Yes those headlights are from the factory)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gheb88/318ti_front.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/gheb88/318ti_rear.jpg

Night Wolf
12-30-08, 06:17 AM
Yeah, theres all sorts of versions sold overseas... I was talking about here tho. I agree, normally the E46 is another personal favorite BMW, but that one... no thanks. The standard E46 headlights are one of the key features that appeals to me about the overall design of the car, the way the whole car just smoothly flows.

I think one of the worst decsisons made, as well as one of those what the heck moments would be going from the E30, which by the time it was phased out, even the 318i had the plastic bumpers which made the car, IMO one of the most well-rounded and balanced looking BMW to date, only to bring in the E36 which had black plastic front and rear bumpers, as well as side skirts that fadded over time... just like all the first gen Saturns and Neon's... IMO it was a complete step backwards.

Submariner409
01-16-09, 07:08 PM
Back to Posts 36 and 37, several weeks and a lot of $$$ later: DO NOT buy a Toshiba laptop. Have (had) a M35X- which was sort of flaky from the get-go, but was a decent price from Tiger Direct 4 years ago. Gradually updated to Windows XP-Pro SP3. Motherboard went up a week and a half ago, BUT I have lots of charts and tide programs loaded which I can't afford (?) to lose. Sooooo......to the local geek shop to find/install new motherboard. Expensive. Turns out that Toshiba was the subject of a class action suit for the problem and extended the warranty 2 years. Guess who missed the warranty by 3 months........THAT laptop is salvaged and gets picked up Monday, and they saved all my data and programs to the tune of around $300.

Wanted a newer version with larger HD so we could load ITunes, etc., so last week (while other laptop was in the shop) got a new Toshiba M355- series Dual core, 250 gb HD, 3 g on the board, nice looking unit, BUT I wasn't prepared for the gross incompatibility between Vista and my older PC XP Home SP3. Can't wireless, can't printer share, nothing with anything to do with the PC/Westell DSL modem/Linksys router. And Norton 360 is a royal PITA to try and work through, to boot.

Toshiba and Windows Vista are useless. Even the geeks are having a hard time figuring this network compatibility out.

ryannel2003
01-16-09, 07:14 PM
Windows Vista is useless on any computer. I loaded the Basic version on my Dell desktop and went from a decently fast computer, to a slow PITA that I haven't turned on in weeks. I much preferred XP to Vista, though I find OS X grossly superior to both.

OS X>XP SP2>Vista

mbnv992
01-17-09, 11:22 PM
I would highly recommend a Lenovo/IBM laptop any day of the week. I bout a new T61 last year, and it's by far the best laptop I've ever owned. Before I switched to Lenovo, I bought a brand new Toshiba Satellite laptop that crashed the FIRST day I bought it home. I promptly got a full refund, and will never buy another Toshiba laptop again. If you do get a Lenovo Think-pad, they have many different series, get the T series. The T series has a built in roll cage on the base of the computer, as well as the screen portion. The BEST keyboard on a laptop, and true while boring, and very 1980's looking, you just can't beat a Thinkpad.
On the other hand, I've never used any apple products (well, besides the IPhone 3G, which I am very pleased with) so I cannot comment on any Mac-books).