: Winter Scare

chris1268
12-22-08, 09:48 AM
I thought I would put this out for all to learn (laugh) from. So this morning it's -3 degrees here in Chicago but sunny and the roads are cleared of most snow. I decide to take the V2 into the office today becuase I am dying to drive it. While driving down a 6 lane highway, I try to switch lanes, every so slightly pushing the gas. Bad Idea!!!!! Next thing I know I am driving down the highway completely sideways. In that brief second I am thinking damnit, I can not wreck this beautiful car. I was in the far right lane. By the time i made it through the middle lane (probably 1-2 seconds top) the counter sterring was already taking effect. I bring this story up for two reasons. The first being do not drive this car in the very cold weather or snowy days without winter tires. The stock tires are definately not meant to be run in these frigid conditions and it shows. Be safe and leave it in the garage or get some new tires as short throw has done. The second is this car is even more amazing than I originally thought. I could actually feel this car adjusting as I was running sideways down the highway. Usually when sliding, once a car catches the pavement it jerks itself back in the counter direction. This car actually seemed to reduce speed and quickly but smoothly straightened itself out. There was no back and forth, it was one counter maneuver and the car went straight. I don't know if it was a combination of the traction control and the magnetic ride control or a stability system, but I got a confidence out of this car I never even thought of when I purchased it. No damage done and I made it to work with no more incidents. When I get home tonight she will be put up for the winter and wait for Spring to resurface. There's a lot of power under that hood - drive carefully out there.

Chris

The Tony Show
12-22-08, 10:04 AM
Stabilitrak FTW

readyact
12-22-08, 10:27 AM
I've been driving mine on non snowy/icy days and I can tell you if you give it too much gas attempting to pass another car or just for more power the back end will get a little loose on you. This happens on dry streets as the temperatures here in the Midwest are way too cold for the factory tires. I notice if the rear does begin to get loose the StabiliTrak does a heck of a job correcting the action. For a car which is obviously built for warm weather, I think it does a pretty good job in cold weather you just have to take it easy and know the car. Once again this car is incredible.

CIWS
12-22-08, 10:30 AM
Glad to hear it was just an experience, and not a bad one :thumbsup:

Rear wheel drive and torque. The STS-V also has it and the rear will come right around on you with what seems a minor blip of the throttle under the right wet / cold conditions. There are times it's good to leave stability and traction on. :D

Kadonny
12-22-08, 10:37 AM
Good to know, I'm picking mine up today and it is about 28 degrees out. Not quite 3 degrees, but I'll take it easy for sure.

Thanks and glad the car and you are fine.

Razorecko
12-22-08, 10:49 AM
Yea you know we had like that 10car pileup on the highway from the black ice this morning. I guess you didnt see it on the morning news - I know its hard to resist driving it but i'm sure you'll be more cautious now....anyway we are getting another 6in-12in of snow again tonight till tomorrow....crazy

Short-Throw
12-22-08, 10:49 AM
There's a lot of power under that hood - drive carefully out there.

Chris

Chris,

Glad you made it to work okay. I agree on staying away from the frigid weather in this car unless you have the proper tires. I so believe that temps in the 30-40s are fine with the stock tires. Don't through it into hibernation just yet, you will have days to enjoy long before March, just be selective!

Mike

Florian
12-22-08, 12:14 PM
winter > V

F

chris1268
12-22-08, 12:47 PM
Yea you know we had like that 10car pileup on the highway from the black ice this morning. I guess you didnt see it on the morning news - I know its hard to resist driving it but i'm sure you'll be more cautious now....anyway we are getting another 6in-12in of snow again tonight till tomorrow....crazy

I did hear it on the radio - of course it was after my experience. Gonna be a fun year for us it looks like.

chris1268
12-22-08, 12:49 PM
Chris,

Glad you made it to work okay. I agree on staying away from the frigid weather in this car unless you have the proper tires. I so believe that temps in the 30-40s are fine with the stock tires. Don't through it into hibernation just yet, you will have days to enjoy long before March, just be selective!

Mike

Thanks Mike. I agree it was driving fine in the above freezing temps but this below freezing has been quite a bit different to date. I am sure there will be days I can get it out. I heard high 30's maybe even a 40 by end of the week.

Kmajecki
12-22-08, 01:05 PM
I'm glad everything turned out ok! If you decide to do that again however, try to minimize the impact on the rear, i'd like to call dibs on that diff!! :histeric:

jvp
12-22-08, 02:15 PM
I agree on staying away from the frigid weather in this car unless you have the proper tires.

Come on Mike, I wouldn't expect this out of you... :-) We've had similar threads like this on the Z06 section of the Corvette forum for a few years now. Every winter, someone who hasn't driven a Z06 in chilly weather will pipe up saying that the car and tires and ... just aren't suitable for cold weather because they nearly wiped out.

Remember: Cold air means cold tires. Cold tires mean less traction (not NO traction). Cold tires will warm up, depending on the length of your drive.

Further: Cold air means more torque! Remember that your engine is little more than a glorified air pump. Colder air is already compressed a bit, and so the engine can swallow that much more of it with every gulp. More air == more fuel == bigger kaboom in the cylinder == more torque.

Combine these two: less-grippy tires and more torque, and you have a recipe for a fun ride to work in the morning. So... take it easy. Gentle on the throttle inputs AND the steering inputs.

But by all means, don't spend the money on snow tires if it doesn't snow where you are. That seems foolish, IMHO. If all you deal with is very cold temps, your car will drive fine. You just have to be: careful. :-)

jas

thebigjimsho
12-22-08, 03:12 PM
When changing lanes on a slushy highway, try to keep throttle inputs to a minimum. If uncertain of ice, change lanes with no throttle.

Kadonny
12-22-08, 03:50 PM
When changing lanes on a slushy highway, try to keep throttle inputs to a minimum. If uncertain of ice, change lanes with no throttle.

http://www.bluelinecomics.com/New%20Blue%20Lines/Captain%20Obvious%20Logo%20w%20capt%20copy.jpg

Hehe.................

thebigjimsho
12-22-08, 03:53 PM
http://www.bluelinecomics.com/New%20Blue%20Lines/Captain%20Obvious%20Logo%20w%20capt%20copy.jpg

Hehe.................It obviously isn't to the thousands who find themselves in ditches every snow storm... :banghead:

chris1268
12-22-08, 03:56 PM
Come on Mike, I wouldn't expect this out of you... :-) We've had similar threads like this on the Z06 section of the Corvette forum for a few years now. Every winter, someone who hasn't driven a Z06 in chilly weather will pipe up saying that the car and tires and ... just aren't suitable for cold weather because they nearly wiped out.

Remember: Cold air means cold tires. Cold tires mean less traction (not NO traction). Cold tires will warm up, depending on the length of your drive.

Further: Cold air means more torque! Remember that your engine is little more than a glorified air pump. Colder air is already compressed a bit, and so the engine can swallow that much more of it with every gulp. More air == more fuel == bigger kaboom in the cylinder == more torque.

Combine these two: less-grippy tires and more torque, and you have a recipe for a fun ride to work in the morning. So... take it easy. Gentle on the throttle inputs AND the steering inputs.

But by all means, don't spend the money on snow tires if it doesn't snow where you are. That seems foolish, IMHO. If all you deal with is very cold temps, your car will drive fine. You just have to be: careful. :-)

jas

In theory I would agree with you, but this is not my first car with a little extra juice under the hood. I have been driving and racing cars for many many years. My exerience this morning could have been to much throttle but I don't think that was the case. I won't say it wasn't for sure. My main point was be careful out there, this car is a little more sensitive then any others I have driven in this weather to the cold and at 3 below zero, the tires don't warm up much by the way.

Short-Throw
12-22-08, 04:29 PM
If all you deal with is very cold temps, your car will drive fine. You just have to be: careful. :-)

jas

Jason,

With sub-zero temps these Michelin's are hockey pucks period. They do not warm up even at 55mph in such extreme weather with -30 wind chill. We live in an area where salt remains on the road all winter. This creates dust which limits traction even more. Also, Winter tires offer more than just tread.

I drove my dually yesterday and even with 4x4 action the truck had a little slippage when starting out.

I'm not sure exactly what you're addressing, I encourage use of the car all year round. There are situations however where you simply should leave it in the garage.

Mike

GMX322V S/C
12-22-08, 05:27 PM
...Next thing I know I am driving down the highway completely sideways...This made my heart leap into my throat! Glad the both of you made it through OK. With 400 lb-ft available at idle, one can see how this thing could swap ends in a hurry, hockey pucks or not.

chris1268
12-22-08, 05:47 PM
This made my heart leap into my throat! Glad the both of you made it through OK. With 400 lb-ft available at idle, one can see how this thing could swap ends in a hurry, hockey pucks or not.

Imagine how I felt with a car I waited 18 months for going the wrong direction down the street. This is a beast with a lot of weight behind her. I certainly want everyone in areas where extreme cold takes hold to be careful with this car.

Short-Throw
12-23-08, 11:25 AM
If all you deal with is very cold temps, your car will drive fine. You just have to be: careful. :-)

jas

You can learn more in this thread here, which includes confirmation directly from caddiedrummer who spoke to Michelin directly. Michelin themselves suggests not using this tire in frigid temps.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/157291-best-tire-max-traction-cold-weather.html

ucla95
12-23-08, 12:45 PM
Don't people know to get winter tires in Chicago??? You put other peoples' lives at risk and that's irresponsible.

96Fleetwood
12-23-08, 01:57 PM
This winter might be worse than last here year in Chicago.

Last week I had a scare in the Tahoe, I was also on the highway early in the morning and went to pass a 18 wheeler and switch lanes. I gave it a good bit of gas, the supercharger kicked in, and next thing I feel the rear end get loose and I had to counter steer.... in a 5,000 lb. SUV!

I ordered some A/T tires that should be here anyday. These M/T tires I have on it are like slicks in freezing temps...

Be careful in Chicagoland.. it is getting nasty!

JEM
12-23-08, 02:37 PM
A year and a half ago my wife was in her 540i and got punted by a pickup looking the wrong way; it was really a classic PIT-maneuver thump in the right rear (the rear quarter had to be cut off the car and replaced) and I'm pretty confident the only reason she didn't spin and/or end up in the median was the stability control.

I wouldn't be running around on PS2s in the weather a lot of this country's getting right now. Out here it's just wet.

HiTechRV
12-23-08, 08:06 PM
Jason,

With sub-zero temps these Michelin's are hockey pucks period. They do not warm up even at 55mph in such extreme weather with -30 wind chill. We live in an area where salt remains on the road all winter. This creates dust which limits traction even more. Also, Winter tires offer more than just tread.

I drove my dually yesterday and even with 4x4 action the truck had a little slippage when starting out.

I'm not sure exactly what you're addressing, I encourage use of the car all year round. There are situations however where you simply should leave it in the garage.

Mike

Exactly. I've had the stock tires on my old STS-V and CTS-V never warm up even after 20 miles at highway speeds when below 0. They never grab. Do not be fooled by the "all season" designation. Get winter tires or park it on the really cold days.

FreddyG
12-26-08, 12:42 AM
Glad to hear no one (or nothing) was hurt in your drive!

Here's a little suggestion from a Caddy Newb, but if you're going to drive a car with a 550hp, Eaton blown V8 in the winter, you might want to invest in some seat covers that can be easily cleaned............If you know what I mean! :D