: Top Gear Tesla did NOT run out ouf power...

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
12-22-08, 07:56 AM
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/12/22/bbc_top_gear_tesla/

They should have said "this is what would happen if it ran out of power with nowhere to recharge" as opposed to pretending it ran out of power after just 50 odd miles (I did find it wierd that it ran out that quick with a claimed 230 mile range).

Lord Cadillac
12-22-08, 10:25 AM
I read the battery had 20% life left in it...

The Tony Show
12-22-08, 10:37 AM
Top Gear was insulting and unfair to a car for the sake of entertainment and cheeky humor? Shocking. :eek:

[/sarcasm]

Jesda
12-22-08, 10:47 AM
50-90 miles (90 since 20% remained) sounds right with hard track time. And yeah, it renders the car useless for road trips.

Blackout
12-22-08, 01:07 PM
Top Gear was insulting and unfair to a car for the sake of entertainment and cheeky humor? Shocking. :eek:

[/sarcasm]

I think Clarkson was dead nuts on about the Tesla. They made it a sports car that when used as a sports car it breaks. Then when the battery runs out you have to charge it for a long ass time if you don't have Tesla's special unit and on top of that those tires make so much damn road noise!

Coma
12-22-08, 02:40 PM
I hate this damn show and everyone in it.

thebigjimsho
12-22-08, 05:01 PM
I hate this damn show and everyone in it.
Of course you would.

Bottom line, sports cars can be made electric just fine. Just hope that you live on a great, windy road. That's 25 miles long. OK, maybe 30...

dkozloski
12-22-08, 05:57 PM
Kind of like E. J. Potter and his electric dragster where he had to string out trolly wires down the track. It ran the quarter in the 6's

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
12-22-08, 08:06 PM
Bear in mind that when hammered on the track the 4mpg of his sports car (and others they tested), the Ford GT, returned a range of 75 miles...

Problem is that everyone would have their car on a 32amp circuit at home and then you get a recharge time of just a few hours.
Real customers who have the car already are experiencing 200 mile ranges too.

As for reliability, they based it on a Lotus... I mean, come on, you just don't trust us Brits with car electrics!
:rolleyes:

Night Wolf
12-22-08, 08:26 PM
yVZXT7LytjE

I think it's awesome... as with any car, when you flog the heck out of it at the track you are going to get significantly less then the EPA highway range.

The idea behind this is great... put the technology in an exotic, high-priced sprts cars, the people that are buying this thing are only going to buy it as a toy anyway.... once the product is known and gains momemtum, and becomes cheaper they'll start making "normal" type cars.

This really has something going for it... all these "hybirds" disgust me, it's a stepping stone that people are actually buying into.

Electric motors are nearly ideal for cars... personaly, I'd like to see an electric motor bolted up to a traditional manual transmission w/ clutch... me thinks that could be mega fun to drive... 100% torque, any RPM.

0-60 in 3.9s.... and no screwed up launch control to deal with :thumbsup:

LS1Mike
12-22-08, 09:14 PM
yVZXT7LytjE

0-60 in 3.9s.... and no screwed up launch control to deal with :thumbsup:

Classic! :D

Kael
12-24-08, 02:12 PM
Tesla is acutally brilliant.

What they have done is to make an electric car that is highly sought after. removing the "dork" image from electric cars.

To really get electric cars to catch on in the mainstream you really have to play to the youth market.
I do not know of a single teenage boy that wants a prius. There has to be some "will this get me laid" to the car and the current hybrids don't have it.

You see its a cascade effect. If the cars are sought after that means more companies will poor more money into research and development to make cars that are more marketable. This market competition will drive advances in the technology, such as higher power, shorter recharge times, greater capable distance. And before you know it we will all be switching.