: 95 Eldorado has SLOW starting Issue.

dcsj
12-21-08, 09:05 PM
Need a little assistance,:hmm:

My wife's Eldorado has been getting slower and slower to start more often than not. What I mean is It normally starts in about 1 second of cranking. But lately it is taking an excessively longer time of cranking before starting when the engine is warm. Sometimes as long as 5 - 7 seconds of cranking. The car used to always start promptly or normal regardless of temperature. Hot engine or cold. No codes are present. However in the last two weeks the EGR valve was replaced along with the Idle speed motor. The slow starting issue has been present for the last two-three months. Other Info: milage is 220000. Plugs and wires replaced at 200000 and the car is using oil at rate of about 1QT ever 1500 miles. My service manager says the oil consumption Rate is typical of the NorthStar especially at the high miles. He said, their is a de-carbonizing treatment specially for the northstar and that it is recommended ever 50K miles. He said, Since our car has never had it done it could potentially cause more harm than good at this stage of the engines life. He didn't recommend doing it.

Any suggestions would be Much appreciated.

Dennis

Ranger
12-21-08, 09:33 PM
But lately it is taking an excessively longer time of cranking before starting when the engine is warm.
Most likely a leaky FPR.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/61600-how-check-faulty-fpr-fuel-pressure.html

He said, their is a de-carbonizing treatment specially for the northstar and that it is recommended ever 50K miles.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#full

Submariner409
12-21-08, 10:09 PM
The referenced carbon removal procedure is the GM shop operation which fills and soaks the cylinders with solvents for a specific period of time, blows out the excess through the plug holes then burns the residue with fast idle.

As the service writer said, I would be scared to death to do it on a high mileage engine.

Read up on Ranger's link to the Cadillac Technical Archive up there ^^^ in the black bar. Work up to the procedure. 1 quart in 1500 miles is just on the left side of the bell curve for a Northstar......pretty good.

dcsj
12-21-08, 11:18 PM
Hey, Ranger You DA MAN :thumbsup:

I did the FPR check and sure enough I got a leaker. I'll fix it tomorrow.
I love simple fixes:)

The De-carbonizing Tip makes perfect sense TOO. My Only question. How many times should WE do the WOT's runs in the beginning? I can certainly understand a good tromp on the gas once or twice week once things are cleaned out. But where does one start at this point with 220K engine and it has never really been run that hard before. The GOOD thing is that My wife drives 50 miles each way to and from work on the Interstate. A good place for WOT runs.

Thanks for the help

Dennis

Submariner409
12-22-08, 09:39 AM
dcsj, Go up to User CP in the blue bar and update your personal info and profile with your car, year, and model. Maybe your city, too. Makes diagnosis easier.

If the car is a daily driver on an Interstate, that's the least wear and tear on an engine....city driving is murder. You can probably consider yourself safe from combustion chamber deposits if the car gets a couple of good passing situations a week. You could do a WOT any time you feel like it, considering your circumstances.

98eldorado-lee
12-22-08, 12:07 PM
The referenced carbon removal procedure is the GM shop operation which fills and soaks the cylinders with solvents for a specific period of time, blows out the excess through the plug holes then burns the residue with fast idle.

As the service writer said, I would be scared to death to do it on a high mileage engine.

Read up on Ranger's link to the Cadillac Technical Archive up there ^^^ in the black bar. Work up to the procedure. 1 quart in 1500 miles is just on the left side of the bell curve for a Northstar......pretty good.

I had this done to my car at 92,000, (they call it fog), and man did it put some black smoke out when he started it, then he took it out and ran it.

Ranger
12-22-08, 12:53 PM
How many times should WE do the WOT's runs in the beginning?
If you see a lot of black smoke (carbon) from the pipes, do it again. After a few times it should be pretty clear.

dcsj
12-22-08, 01:44 PM
[quote=submariner409;1715532]dcsj, Go up to User CP in the blue bar and update your personal info and profile with your car, year, and model. Maybe your city, too. Makes diagnosis easier.

If the car is a daily driver on an Interstate, that's the least wear and tear on an engine....city driving is murder. You can probably consider yourself safe from combustion chamber deposits if the car gets a couple of good passing situations a week. You could do a WOT any time you feel like it, considering your circumstances.QUOTE]

I updated my profile

The car lives on cruise control and rarely gets tromped on. Oil consumption used to be 2 qts. added at 50% life and then changed at CHANGE SOON message rather than just adding 2 more quarts. But lately I'M adding a quart every 700 miles ruffly. So it seems like I'm doing a full oil change within the Oil life Span.

Dennis

dcsj
12-22-08, 01:58 PM
If you see a lot of black smoke (carbon) from the pipes, do it again. After a few times it should be pretty clear.

Ok, I'll give it a try.

Btw: I ended up Ordering the FPR online, since none of my Local Parts places had it and also had to special order it. My Car has the RECALL Updated STAINLESS STEEL fuel rail. I guess the FPR is slightly different for it.

Ranger
12-22-08, 05:27 PM
Your oil consumption will drop after several WOT treatments.

I think only the retaining clip is different after the fuel rail recall if I remember correctly.

dcsj
12-23-08, 12:52 AM
Your oil consumption will drop after several WOT treatments.

I think only the retaining clip is different after the fuel rail recall if I remember correctly.

Thanks that's good to Know.

My FPR was shipped out today. So, I expect it it soon. My wife was elated when I told her what was wrong and that It was an easy fix. She said, tonight she was showing 19MPG. Which is about 5 below normal but It is -2 F at the moment so I'd expect lower milage in the winter anyway.

Dennis