: UAW - They're all drunk and on long lunch breaks.

Lord Cadillac
12-21-08, 08:06 PM
Integrity.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/10235271/index.html

CIWS
12-21-08, 08:16 PM
http://www.ciws.net/smiles/picard.gif

Found On the Road Drunk

concorso
12-21-08, 08:28 PM
Its crazy how the foreign buyer or GM's products are always blamed for their downfall. The UAW are scammers and GM allowed them to push them around.

thebigjimsho
12-21-08, 09:05 PM
Unions were to make sure the corporations did not take advantage of workers. The balance has been spiked in the opposite direction WAYYYY too long...

Lord Cadillac
12-21-08, 09:22 PM
By now we've all heard the story about Bush's plan requiring the UAW to scale back their member's pay (to be more inline with that of "transplant" employee salaries) has pissed off Ron Gettlefinger.

Okay.

So what does it all MEAN?

Nothing. Nothing is changing until April. All that happened is GM and Chrysler got the loans. Whatever rules or requirements set forth by Bush are meaningless. If the business looks like it has potential come April, than things move forward. Until then, nothing has changed and nothing WILL change in regards to ANYTHING.

Or am I missing something? When all is said and done, *IF* there are going to be ANY UAW "givebacks", they will be determined by Obama and the new Congress.. So all of this talk going on right now is meaningless. We just gave these companies a lot of money for NOTHING. I think MORE should have been done to ENSURE changes were made as a RESULT of giving them this money...

Night Wolf
12-21-08, 09:33 PM
Unions were to make sure the corporations did not take advantage of workers. The balance has been spiked in the opposite direction WAYYYY too long...

Maybe in the auto industry...

We just gave these companies a lot of money for NOTHING.

aNaKWXqXkhw

That is pretty messed up tho, some people will try to get away with all they can, that speaks of a persons character more then anything. Makes me wonder if their spouse is aware of the situation, or if they would make up a story to them too.

LS1Mike
12-21-08, 09:34 PM
That is ****ed up, and wrong, but IMO a little sensational. It seemed to be the same group of bad apples. The union sucks, but my guess is that is not representative of that plant.

c5 rv
12-21-08, 10:57 PM
I used to do a lot of work at GM, Ford, and Chrysler plants in the 80s. They were all pretty much the same with a lot of drinking in the parking lots and at local bars. Some bars in the Warren / Sterling Heights area ran shuttle buses to the plants. The regulars had their drinks poured (and maybe some food), ready for when they walked in the door. After lunch, certain stalls in the restrooms had the toilets covered with sheets of cardboard to make sleeping more comfortable. In the 90s there were a number of large drug busts at a number of plants.

I figured that most of this had been cleaned up as evidenced by the improved product quality. But, there are obviously still some holdouts. I would guess that the ones in the video are skilled tradesmen (millwrights, plumbers, electricians, machine repairmen, etc.) rather than guys that work on the line (and would be noticed if they were gone for extended periods).

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
12-22-08, 07:36 AM
Read the book "Rivethead" by a GM worker form the 70s/80s.

They would "double up" on work so that one man did the work of two, while his partner would spend the afternoon at the pub.

Ignoring the drinking that suggests to me that you only need half as many people on the production line to get the same number of cars out...

Naturally the union would disagree...

billc83
12-22-08, 07:21 PM
You beat me to suggesting Rivethead: Tales From the Assembly Line by Ben Hamper. It really is an good read, and doesn't get too political. Just one man's tale about his time at General Motors.

90Brougham350
12-22-08, 08:38 PM
That is ****ed up, and wrong, but IMO a little sensational. It seemed to be the same group of bad apples. The union sucks, but my guess is that is not representative of that plant.

Agreed on the sensational part. Where was the interview with the plant manager? Let's be honest, how many of us would have a job past our first day if we took a 2 or 3 hour lunch? There's more to this story than they showed us.

Brian