: What happens to a factory nav after disconnecting the battery ?

mike.nite
12-21-08, 06:35 PM
I have a factory nav out of a 2003 STS in my 1999 STS. I changed my VIN with a TECH II. I also have updated the Firmware with this ominous service disc. Everything works like a charm and I'm totally happy with the system.

I'm just not shure what happens if I disconect the battery for a longer time
(2-4 weeks).

Will I have to do the whole VIN procedure again? Can it be that I need to reinstal the software update?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

N*Caddy
12-22-08, 12:02 AM
Mike, did you needed the donor vehicle VIN to do the VIN relearning?
Where you got the NAV unit from?

mike.nite
12-22-08, 03:43 PM
Mike, did you needed the donor vehicle VIN to do the VIN relearning?
Where you got the NAV unit from?

No, I took the vin from a 2003 STS. It works perfect.
Got my nav from a junkyard 2 years ago. Will I have to repeat the vin relearn after disconecting the battery?

CadillacSTS42005
12-22-08, 06:33 PM
no
the vin is stored in the radio
you could pull the radio sit it on a shelf for a decade and reinstall it into the same car and the vins will still match
ie you plug it back into the same car after years and years and itll work fine

N*Caddy
12-23-08, 12:20 AM
No, I took the vin from a 2003 STS. It works perfect.

Wait, wait, wait, wait!!!
What do you mean you took the VIN from a 2003 STS? Is the STS you got the NAV unit from or just a random STS?

Cliff8928
12-23-08, 02:41 AM
Here's how it works...

The "Theftlock" theft deterrent system is a feature on all base and uplevel radios. There is no need to program a security code into the radio as in past model years. The theft deterrent system now utilizes class 2 serial data to determine if the radio is in the appropriate vehicle. Each time the radio receives the "run" power mode message, it compares the VIN information it has stored to the VIN information received from the dash integration module (DIM) on the class 2 serial data circuit. If a mis-match occurs, the radio display will indicate to the user the radio is locked. Once this takes place, a DTC will set, the radio will not respond to any button presses and become inoperative. The two scenarios able to cause this condition are:

A radio is installed from another vehicle
The DIM is replaced and not properly setup with the correct VIN information for that vehicle
The only way to unlock the radio is by using a scan tool. Always refer to the table in this section to diagnose the "Theftlock" DTC for further information.

When you unlock the radio with the Tech2, it clears the VIN information from the radio itself. Then the next time the radio receives the "RUN" power mode, it will write the new VIN to memory. It doesn't matter what car it came from or is going in, just that it receives the "Run" power mode.

Shart
12-23-08, 09:49 AM
I have a factory nav out of a 2003 STS in my 1999 STS. I changed my VIN with a TECH II. I also have updated the Firmware with this ominous service disc. Everything works like a charm and I'm totally happy with the system.

I'm just not shure what happens if I disconect the battery for a longer time
(2-4 weeks).

Will I have to do the whole VIN procedure again? Can it be that I need to reinstal the software update?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

VIN info is stored in non-volatile memory. Don't worry about disconnecting your battery for any length of time. Your info will still be there.

mike.nite
12-23-08, 07:45 PM
Okay thanks! That's what I want to hear.

N*Caddy
12-23-08, 09:47 PM
Mike, this is what I am trying to understand, when you clear the VIN from the unit with the TECHII Tool, is the original VIN required (someting like when you change a password you have to type the old one first) or doesn't matters?
Let me ask this: when I buy the NAV unit, do I need to get the donor vehicle VIN with that or no. What is the dealer asking for, VIN, legal proof or purchase, or what?

Cliff8928
12-24-08, 02:58 AM
There would be only two reasons the dealer would want the VIN of the car the nav came from.. The first being what you already said, to make sure it's legit. The second would be so that the technician could "build" the car in the Tech 2 so that it matches the donor car (Year/Make/Model/Trim) so that all of the options will definitely be there for that particular radio.

The original VIN is not needed to clear the radio. The Tech 2 just clears it regardless.

N*Caddy
12-25-08, 12:24 AM
Thank you very much for the information!:worship: