: Newbie Needs Advice

timeforav
12-21-08, 03:20 PM
Pleasure to meet everyone! I have been waiting patiently for the day I could move forward with my goal of owning a 4 door performance sedan and I finally have sign-off. However, it comes with a dilemma...

About a year ago, I test drove an 06 CTS-V and was immediately hooked (also drove M5 and RS4). However, just as I am in a position to buy a lightly used one, the 09 comes out. I love the look and power of the 09 however, I won't buy a new one (too much $$ for a 'fun' car). I found a lightly used 07 that I am ready to pull the trigger on ($33k) however, I now find myself on the fence. I am thinking I could wait a year and pick up a lightly used 09 somewhere in the upper 40's. The other side of me is saying that I should go ahead with the 07 and drive it for a year or 2 and then focus on the 09.

Pro's
-07 deal is done (I have a trade that has been difficult to move and I found a dealer that will put a deal together)
-07 gets better gas mileage on the highway (I will drive this to work a few days a week=70 miles round trip)

Con's
-Ties up my $33k in a not so good economic time and in an area where depreciation is inevitable
-07 may be a tough sell (seems like a niche market) although a trade-in is always an option
-The 07 I found is not the color I want and I don't like the wheels. I can live with the color however, the wheels have to go (about $2k)

Any thoughts or inputs is appreciated.

RightTurn
12-22-08, 12:13 AM
:wave: Howdy. I'm thinking you should wait, especially since the '07 doesn't have the color or wheels you like. You're right, this is NOT a good time to be tying up $33k in something you don't absolutely love. (Of course, the 1st gen V is killer...so I'm not much help. :D)

Oh, and if you want a 1st gen, why not one a couple of years older...much better bargains to be found. Check the classifieds here. :thumbsup:

darjae
12-22-08, 12:40 AM
:wave: Howdy. I'm thinking you should wait, especially since the '07 doesn't have the color or wheels you like. You're right, this is NOT a good time to be tying up $33k in something you don't absolutely love. (Of course, the 1st gen V is killer...so I'm not much help. :D)

Oh, and if you want a 1st gen, why not one a couple of years older...much better bargains to be found. Check the classifieds here. :thumbsup:

I would agree with RightTurn. Given your stipulations, if you really need one now, go 2006 to save some cash. You'll still get the LS2 and a great car and save some cash. Otherwise, wait a little while. They won't get more expensive. Just hang back and watch for the options and price that you want.

I can say from experience that the V2 is a giant leap from the V1, but you cannot go wrong with a V1. They are both great cars.

Nutz
12-22-08, 01:41 AM
this is NOT a good time to be tying up $33k

Very good advice! Have a look at mine in the classified's...:thumbsup:

A clean California car for way less than 33K.

timeforav
12-23-08, 12:12 AM
Thanks guys.

Nutz - yours is pretty...love the color as well. If I can get my damn truck to sell, I will give you a call.