: The V at 1K miles compared to the M5

caddiedrummer
12-20-08, 11:00 PM
The following is a wholly unscientific comparison of the CTS-V at 1000 miles compared to my 06 M5 (current model) which had 19,000. At the outset, I will say I hope the V is as good as the M was at 19k which was no different from new.

I will also say that I am not one to say that my newest car is the "greatest/best ever" . I have had some nice cars and some that were bad from the get go.

First impressions as to which is best IMO are as follows head to head :

Interior--M5
Exterior-CTS-V
Controls/ergonomics--CTS-V
Stereo-M5
Wheels (appearance)--CTS-V (poilshed)
OE Tires-CTS-V (Pilots vs Contis)
Braking--Tie
handling-tie, maybe slight edge to M
Acceleration--CTS-V (6 spd auto)
gawk factor-M5 (around here unless you see the guys who get the car mags no one knows what this is--The M badge, rightly or wrongly gets attention
Gas mileage--both awful
exhaust sound--CTS-V
comfort-CTS-V I am 6'4", son 6'7' both fit nicely

This would be a much better comparison with more miles on the V, but I have to say that this is not just the nicest Caddy I have owned (which includes STS, XLR and XLR-V) but the nicest sedan I have ever driven.
I had no interest in this car until I saw Bob Lutz talk about it on TV. I met Lutz through the Viper club and he is a real car guy. He said this (V) was the best car GM had ever produced--that was enough for me. He may be right.

Happy motoring.

RapidRob
12-20-08, 11:36 PM
Caddied rummer,

Man you are making the wait for my V to be built really, really difficult! Ordered it back on 12/09, and all my dealer says, when I call, is that, 'it's in the pipeline' :want: I wish there were a way for customers to track their orders instead of trying to get the dealer to do it ...

Thanks for the eval. and comparison - the V2 really sounds like an outstanding vehicle for the price to me ... !

Rob

scoote69
12-21-08, 10:06 AM
What about the m5 interior to you prefer?

scoote69
12-21-08, 10:07 AM
double post, sorry.

jasaero
12-21-08, 10:29 AM

I second this question. From a pure Aesthetics perspective I think the V is heads and tails above the M5. Although the switch gear in the V is heads and tails above my 2004 CTS-V I am guessing this might be part of why you gave the M5 the nod?? It has the more appealing interior functionally and maybe materials used? Seats? Do you have the Recaro's? Can't remember?

atdeneve
12-21-08, 01:00 PM
Head and shoulders...

tblack
12-21-08, 04:00 PM
Caddiedrmmer, you sir, are an asset to this forum.

caddiedrummer
12-21-08, 05:30 PM

As to interior, I don't have recaros. I had perforated seats in M5 (heated and cooled like my XLR-V) Thers is just enough plastic and tinny stuff (shininess around vents, etc) that gives the V a less sophisticated look. I am still getting used to the clock which I am sure is supposed to be swanky but looks like it came out of my parents' 64 Olds 98. But the gauges on the V are great.

The M has either brushed aluminum or wood grain and the wood looks great. Agian, for the little difference in looks it ain't worth $20k more than the V.

Some would like V interior better. Just my opinion--I think you can tell which car gets the overall nod.

thebigjimsho
12-21-08, 07:16 PM
Caddiedrmmer, you sir, are an ass.Watch your mouth! :thepan:

Caddyscat
12-21-08, 07:16 PM
Recaros help define the car a great deal. Black sapelle will be available as well to replace that faux carbon stuff.

ucla95
12-21-08, 09:04 PM
One key point that's overlooked in the OP's comments -- the BMW M feels just the same as new after 2 years and 19,000 miles. I wonder if the CTS-V will feel the same as new after that amount of time. That's the key to whether GM really has returned, and frankly I'm a little skeptical.

vmaniac
12-21-08, 09:46 PM
My '04 v was as gpod as new after almost 5 years. I'm not worried at all about Cadddy quality.

Short-Throw
12-21-08, 11:55 PM
One key point that's overlooked in the OP's comments -- the BMW M feels just the same as new after 2 years and 19,000 miles. I wonder if the CTS-V will feel the same as new after that amount of time. That's the key to whether GM really has returned, and frankly I'm a little skeptical.

I turned my Z06 in after 27K, most of them on the track. The car never had one squeak. I don't see the V2 being any different, it has that same solid feel.

Granted, previous GM models a decade ago didn't hold up over the years, but what have you driven lately that would lead you to believe otherwise today?

darjae
12-22-08, 12:00 AM

I agree with vmaniac and Short-Throw, I have an 05 GTO with 50K on it and I've never had one issue or anything that rattles or buzzes (and I have mods, albeit tame). Not only does my new V seem every bit as solid as the Goat, It is refined and luxurious as well. I see no reason at this point to doubt the durability of GM's high-end. I think people that do doubt it are living in the past.

darjae
12-22-08, 12:50 AM
Recaros help define the car a great deal. Black sapelle will be available as well to replace that faux carbon stuff.

You know, the faux carbon doesn't really bother me, but I really wish they would've just given the early adopters all of the options. I would've ordered all of them and made them more money. But, again, the stock trim actually looks great and way better than both the 08 cts and the prior Vs.

thebigjimsho
12-22-08, 01:55 AM
My V1 with almost 60,000 miles and many track days is VERY solid with not even 1 squeak or rattle. I love the build quality...

caddiedrummer
12-22-08, 08:46 AM
Build Quality

09 CTS-V--A (so far)
06 XLR--A
06 XLR-V--B-
05 C6 Vette-B
06 Viper--A (95-C, 00-A, 05-A)

Razorecko
12-22-08, 12:21 PM
we have an ml-63amg in the family and from a recent trip i found that the interior on a caddy escalade hybrid was superior. It actually pisses me off that i keep hearing how bad american interiors and quality is when a top of the line amg looks cheaper than an escalade. A ridiculous status symbol. Great motor though:)

Caddyscat
12-22-08, 09:07 PM
I really wish they would've just given the early adopters all of the options.

Me too, I really enjoy all of the pics of new deliveries. Hell, i can't get enough of em'.We haven't even got them yet here on the west coast.

tblack
12-23-08, 02:24 AM
Watch your mouth! :thepan:

I'm embarrassed to say I actually went back and checked what I wrote.

Well played, wise ass.

:cool2:

thebigjimsho
12-23-08, 02:47 AM
I'm embarrassed to say I actually went back and checked what I wrote.

Well played, you wise man.

:cool2:I find your honesty refreshing...

JEM
12-23-08, 03:06 AM

Now, don't get me wrong, but an E60 M5's had how many SMG software updates in that two years?

Don't own an E60, but I've got an E39 bought new with 71K on it now, and an E39 540i with 128K on it. The 540i's eaten three of its window regulators, the whole cooling system (radiator, water pump, thermostat heater, header tank) on those cars universally croaks at 80-100K, etc. The M5's had a few glitches, right now the power steering hoses are leaking like the Exxon Valdez, but I want to finish some work under the '65 Mustang before the M5 goes back on the lift (while it's up the Dinan suspension bits go back in.) I've got a list of they-fail-in-all-of-them parts for the E39s and I know the E46, E60, E90/92 have their own lists.

Don't get me wrong, BMW builds nice cars and I like our E39s a lot (I could never get over the hump with the E60, I loathe the interior design) but they are mass-produced items built to a price too, with their own set of strengths and weaknesses and sometimes (Active Steering anyone?) a little too much crap answering questions no one asked. I'd like to go drive a new M3, but the back seat in the E90 is a little too tight, and the one sitting on the floor at the SF auto show last month had a $55K sticker...and a full-page list of $500-3000 options. I didn't even look at what the bottom line was.

CadV
12-23-08, 03:14 AM
I personally think the 09 V is much more of an eye catcher than the M5. Granted I think the BMW design is boring and never really been fond of the new look.

JEM
12-23-08, 01:42 PM
I personally think the 09 V is much more of an eye catcher than the M5. Granted I think the BMW design is boring and never really been fond of the new look.

The E60 5-series is a good basic shape with some overdone detailing but the interior sucks.

I'm not wildly fond of the appearance of the new V, it's a bit too jagged and ragged. You might say that's "eye catching" but I just find it overdone. Interesting that the grille on the new one is a casting of some sort, where the last one was a rather nicer (but probably more expensive) wire mesh.

As I said before, it wouldn't stop me from buying one, and the interior's far better than most recent BMWs in design, and it's close enough in build quality (unlike the last CTS) that the difference isn't really significant.

thebigjimsho
12-24-08, 03:44 AM
The E60 5-series is a good basic shape with some overdone detailing but the interior sucks.

I'm not wildly fond of the appearance of the new V, it's a bit too jagged and ragged. You might say that's "eye catching" but I just find it overdone. Interesting that the grille on the new one is a casting of some sort, where the last one was a rather nicer (but probably more expensive) wire mesh.

As I said before, it wouldn't stop me from buying one, and the interior's far better than most recent BMWs in design, and it's close enough in build quality (unlike the last CTS) that the difference isn't really significant.Have you seen one in person yet? I liked a whole lot more in person than in pictures...

JEM
12-24-08, 04:24 AM
Have you seen one in person yet? I liked a whole lot more in person than in pictures...

Yes, I saw a red one. I think I like the shape less in person than I did in print.

I didn't much care for the red on that car - the design is 'busy' and it needs a color that will calm it down a bit. I want to see the blue. Or maybe white.

gotapex
12-24-08, 07:57 AM
Now, don't get me wrong, but an E60 M5's had how many SMG software updates in that two years?

The M5/M6 had a total of 2 SMG software update since inception:

CIP 19.01.00: Improved switching to 1st gear. Was released 10/2005 for cars built before 12/2004. This should not affect any cars in the USA, since cars weren't sold here until the 2006 model year and came with CIP 20.xx.

CIP 20.01.00 (http://www.bmwtis.com/tiscode/cgi-bin/omcgi.exe?sie_path=server.mappath/7645.3.B230106.xml&brand=bmwtis&sie_id=7645&usersession=456449890): Fault code thrown because diagnostics were too sensitive, this fixed it. Released 1/2006. Very few cars in the US were built before this software.