: Locking lugnuts??

jjhammer
12-20-08, 09:31 PM
I have new wheels and tires on my Cat and would like to lock them up but am having a hard time finding locking lug nuts for this Cat. Anyone have them-and if you do where can I purchase them at? Thanks!

creeker
12-21-08, 03:36 PM
I have new wheels and tires on my Cat and would like to lock them up but am having a hard time finding locking lug nuts for this Cat. Anyone have them-and if you do where can I purchase them at? Thanks!

I googled "locking lug nuts for cars", lots of stuff came up.

jjhammer
12-21-08, 07:57 PM
Yeah I already tried that creeker. Lots of stuff does come up but not much that is relevant to the catera. Murrays does not carry anything, same with AutoZone. Maybe someone with a little more experience can answer. Thanks!

CateraMV6
12-22-08, 08:52 AM
Search Locking Lug Bolts SAAB, on ebay and there are 2-3 kits that come up, those fit our cars with no issues... same length and size bolts...

THey cost around 30$, not sure if thats shipped or not but thats all 20 bolts and a tool... and I think 4 valve stems too...

Good luck...

jjhammer
12-22-08, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the help! I will check on Ebay. Sure hate to have those wheels stolen.

Warez
12-23-08, 02:47 AM
Locking nuts are complete garbage.

The matching sockets always jump and make it simply impossible to torque the nuts properly. Often the matching sockets get stuck on the nut and are nearly impossible to get off again.

They're also only good for a few uses before they get stripped. Especially if a mechanic uses an impact gun to remove and/or install them.

They also don't provide any security what so ever unless the thief is a complete retard. A lug nut remover will get them off as easily as if they were a normal nut. Any crook with half a brain will have one.

http://www.matcotools.com/ProductImages/TS500.jpg

libbysman
02-18-09, 10:41 PM
You can get McGard locking bolts at most retail outlets, and they are made in your Good Ole USA. I just installed a set on my 97 Catera (Model # 27179). I've used them on almost every car I've owned with no problem regarding striping etc. Just remember to tell your garage that 80l bs. torque and thats all, no impact wrench. Brian

AHazzardToAll
02-19-09, 01:02 PM
i thought the cats required 100lbs for the lugs?

libbysman
02-20-09, 12:37 PM
Hello again. No, I checked my owner's manual and shop manual and they both agree on 80 lbs. My shop did the same thing and I had one hell of a time getting my wheels off. I ended up using a Johnson bar. Man did they give a crack when they came off. Cheers, Brian

z06bigbird
02-20-09, 01:31 PM
There is a big difference in durability between good nuts (Gorilla and the one mentioned above) vs cheap ones. The cheap ones do wear out and slip. I think the depth of the groves is the key to durability. It has been a while since I looked at some.

libbysman
03-10-09, 01:16 AM
If you really want to keep those rims I would spend the extra on McGards. Here in Canada they cost me about $65.00, but they have key replacement service after you register them (not free of course). They also sell matching wheel bolts. No I'm not on commission to them, but like I said I've used them for lots of years and never had any problems. Regards, Brian

Pabrown210
08-30-12, 04:31 PM
You can take locking lug nuts off several ways, but please know that without the key you may cause damage to the rims. Most shops will take a socket one size smaller than the lug nut and hammer it on/over the lug. This will force the lug nut to form to the new shape and size allowing grip when attempting to remove it. There are special kits out there, but never around when you need them the most. I own a roadside assistance service in San Antonio, Texas and encounter locking lug nuts day in and day out. I urge each and every customer to remove the locking lug nuts and replace them with regular OTC lug nuts from AutoZone. Locking lug nuts will only slow a thief down, because if they really want your rims - they will take them regardless.

Gorilla locking lug nuts use the same key that can be ordered effortlessly, and the key is thin walled which breaks very easily. If you lose the key, or the key breaks, and your on the side of the road - if the provider is incapable of removing the locking lug nuts you looking at a long expensive day.

Have any questions, shoot me an email at info@ezlockout.com .

Paul Brown
Owner
EZ Lockout & Roadside Service
2819 Woodcliffe St.
San Antonio, Texas, 78230
(210) 598-7300
www.ezlockout.com

kaustein
08-30-12, 08:12 PM
Locking nuts are complete garbage.

The matching sockets always jump and make it simply impossible to torque the nuts properly. Often the matching sockets get stuck on the nut and are nearly impossible to get off again.

They're also only good for a few uses before they get stripped. Especially if a mechanic uses an impact gun to remove and/or install them.

They also don't provide any security what so ever unless the thief is a complete retard. A lug nut remover will get them off as easily as if they were a normal nut. Any crook with half a brain will have one.

http://www.matcotools.com/ProductImages/TS500.jpg

"Retard?"