: V2 Owners, Help a newbie out !!!

BAZ007
12-20-08, 05:00 PM
Hey guys !!!

Although I don't post much here, cadillacforums is the first webpage I would browse everyday seeking for anything new, pictures, videos, I have never fell in love with a car this much before, I love the CTS-V2 !!!

However I have many important questions before I place my order, which I have been holding out from doing so for several reasons, however now that the car has been delivered to various people and driven, please if you can answer my brief questions, I would be more than glad, and it would be a real great help for me to make the right decision.

I am trying to keep this as short and sweet as possible, please bear with me since its a relevant information which might help you know how to help me and advice me better.

I currently own a 2008 Infiniti Sedan G35, although I am happy with the car, I am actually quite pissed that they have just released a newer model (Sedan G37) 5 months after I purchased my car (although I did my homework and made sure this model wont change for at least 3 years, turns out not). I live in Oman so the whether here is always sunny and nice, however, no, I don't own an oil well. So i have to be careful how I spend my money since my financial plan was to buy a car for 3-5 years, however its still not too late to sell the infinity and get the CTS-V2, but I want to make sure I am making the right move, and I believe that you guys can really help make the right decision.

Reasons why I am asking are:

a- I Loved the CTS-V2 the moment I Heard/Saw her, and I haven't seen anyone ask similar questions, I checked using the search engine too.
b- I cant test/see the car because no one has ordered it here or anywhere within 5 hours drive, I have seen/driven the Z06, its phenomenal although the interior could really look much nicer for not much more.
c- If I buy this car, I wont be able to change it for 3-5 years, for various of reasons, therefor, I have to make a careful and thoughtful decision.

1- Moving from the 1996 Dodge Intrepid to the 2008 Infinity G35, it was like Holy Molly this is much faster than the Intrepid, moving from 214 HP to 316 HP, question is, am I really going to experience that same upgrade in performance, Luxury and Satisfaction moving from the 2008 G35 to the 2009 CTS-V2, 316 HP to 556 HP, taking weight difference into consideration ?

2- It bugs the hell out of me that the CTS-V2 doesn't have a Rear Backup camera and a front sensors, I guess the Infinity made me lazy and addicted to these unnecessary accessories, but I think I just became to used to the Backup camera, so is there a legit solution for this ? I have surfed the net for after market backup camera, nothing really looked or seemed legit, in the sense that it could be installed in the CTS-V2, linked to the gear and the LCD screen so that whenever I put the gear on reverse, the screen would come up showing a good resolution, this is not a decision breaker, but, I just don't get why isn't there a camera or at the very least an option in a 60k+ car !

3- I was considering selling my 2008 Infinity, get a small car as a Daily Driver like the Suzuki Swift, and get a 2009/2010 Z06 with the upcoming rumored facelift, if anyone owns both cars (Mike?) or if you have driven both of them and experienced them, I know both of the cars are in different categories but, am I really going to miss A LOT OF FUN by getting the CTS-V2 as my Daily Driver and COOL Cruiser instead of paying extra bucks to get the Z06 + a Small Cheap Daily Driver ??? if you are to give a mark for the fun factor for the Z and the V2 out of 100, what would it be ???

4- Is it just me or does the car looks pretty nice from the front and the sides, but not so much from the Rear ??!? its just looks like a regular CTS, except for the V badge and the reflective lights !!! I really was hoping for a quad exhaust tips just for the aggressive look and maybe a better note, but is it just the pictures, or does it really look a lot like a regular CTS ??

5- Is holding out for a 2010 model going to make much of a difference looking at cadillac history ?? As far as malfunctions and extra features (Back up camera maybe !?!?), Also, financially speaking, is it expected due the financial crises assuming the production of the V2 continues despite slowing down, that the prices are going to considerably fall ??

6- I am looking to get an Auto, Thunder Gray, Recaro's, Track Package, Polished Rims (Can I powder coat these black?), Navigation Package, Ebony/Ebony interior. However I am considering a light Modification such as, a Full Cat Back System, what other mods can I install without affecting the car life expectancy, ride quality, response and without voiding the warranty ? Also to what power range can the Auto Handel ? Is the Manual the Strict way to go if I am considering modding the car ? Just saw a Twin Turbo V10 M5 with 800 HP+ without any mentioned changes to the SMG gear which is known from some issues, similar to those found in the GTR (Breaks quickly using the launch system).

I am sorry for making this long, although I tried to be as brief as possible, also excuse my English, its not my first language so a lot of errors are there and maybe I made it complicated trying to ask what I really wanted to, but if you reached this far reading, then I really appreciate your time and effort to help me, I also wish to join the Club soon too !!!

-Omar

urbanski
12-20-08, 05:06 PM
howdy

CVP33
12-20-08, 05:16 PM
Omar from Oman welcome!:thumbsup: I just did a quick search and the last time that the CTS-V and Suzuki Swift were mentioned in the post can be found below:

"Today my CTS-V didn't feel too good. I suspected that something must be wrong. I took her out on the highway and once she topped 160mph she coughed and farted out a Suzuki Swift. Sure enough, judging by the soot, it had been stuck in the tailpipe for sometime"

Enjoy your time here and I'm sure you'll find some answers to your concerns as not everyone here is a smart ass. 85% of us are, but that does leave 15%.

BAZ007
12-20-08, 05:22 PM
Omar from Oman welcome!:thumbsup: I just did a quick search and the last time that the CTS-V and Suzuki Swift were mentioned in the post can be found below:

"Today my CTS-V didn't feel too good. I suspected that something must be wrong. I took her out on the highway and once she topped 160mph she coughed and farted out a Suzuki Swift. Sure enough, judging by the soot, it had been stuck in the tailpipe for sometime"

Enjoy your time here and I'm sure you'll find some answers to your concerns as not everyone here is a smart ass. 85% of us are, but that does leave 15%.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Make no mistake Im not comparing a CTS-V2 to a Suzuki Swift, rather, I am comparing the CTS-V2 Package to a Corvette Z06 + Suzuki Swift Package, considering all aspects. :yup:

Short-Throw
12-20-08, 06:20 PM
Hi Omar,

1- Moving from the 1996 Dodge Intrepid to the 2008 Infinity G35, it was like Holy Molly this is much faster than the Intrepid, moving from 214 HP to 316 HP, question is, am I really going to experience that same upgrade in performance, Luxury and Satisfaction moving from the 2008 G35 to the 2009 CTS-V2, 316 HP to 556 HP, taking weight difference into consideration ?

The acceleration you will feel moving from a G35 to the V2 will be substantial. (I owned a FX45 and have driven the G35 many times on the track). The HP is one thing, but the torque is so high it just pulls constantly.

2- It bugs the hell out of me that the CTS-V2 doesn't have a Rear Backup camera and a front sensors, I just don't get why isn't there a camera or at the very least an option in a 60k+ car !

I wouldn't associate a back up camera with the price of the car. a Ferrari 430 Scud doesn't have one either. I agree, it's a great feature and I'd love to have it, but the sonar lights are ample enough. I missed not having a camera for the first week, now it's no big deal. There's probably an AUX IN you can employ with a lipstick camera, but the car is too new for anybody to have ripped the unit out yet.

3- if anyone owns both cars (Mike?) or if you have driven both of them and experienced them, ........ am I really going to miss A LOT OF FUN by getting the CTS-V2 as my Daily Driver and COOL Cruiser instead of paying extra bucks to get the Z06 + a Small Cheap Daily Driver ??? if you are to give a mark for the fun factor for the Z and the V2 out of 100, what would it be ???

To those that compare the V2 to a Z06, forget it. Despite the V2 having awesome performance numbers, these cars are simply not alike. (I will be posting my review soon on the vette forum site.) The V2 will hold it's own from a roll against the Z06 as the unsprung weight is already moving. Overall however, the Z06 is simply the more enjoyable car from a driving perspective. It's a sports car, period, the V2 is not.

Fun factor ratings for spirited driving:

CTS-V = 92
Z06 = 100

Fun factor ratings for cruising around town:

CTS-V = 97
Z06 = 93

I wouldn't make the purchase decision solely on this. The V2 has the better seats, more amenities and is certainly more practical. The Z06 gets 16mpg when driven hard, the V2 will be in single digits.

Not to make fun of the G35, but the V2 will absolutely blow you away in every aspect, not just power.

There's no right or wrong on which car to buy. It's a personal choice and you have to make a list of what's most important to you, which I understand you're trying to do. In a nutshell, the V2 offers more of a complete package mixing in luxury and performance, the Z06 is pure performance with some nice features. If you're not going to track the V2, it would be my first choice. If you were, I'd buy the Z06. Either car is pure adrenaline.

4- Is it just me or does the car looks pretty nice from the front and the sides, but not so much from the Rear ??!? its just looks like a regular CTS, except for the V badge and the reflective lights !!!

The V2 certainly looks much better from the front. I would like to see wider rear fender flares, but remember, it is a Cadillac. As far as the exhaust, it's very nice.

5- Is holding out for a 2010 model going to make much of a difference looking at cadillac history ??

Every year, cars get better. Technology is ongoing. Why wait for the 2010 when you can wait for the 2011, etc...

Tomorrow is promised to nobody!

also excuse my English, its not my first language so a lot of errors are there and maybe I made it complicated trying to ask what I really wanted to,

Thank you for clarifying where you are from early on and any possible language barrier. This helps many readers guessing if the post is sincere of just a kid fooling around. I understood you perfectly!

Let me know if there's anything else I may not have answered.

Mike

BAZ007
12-20-08, 06:29 PM
Mike, Thanks man, I appreciate your time, You have been very helpful and I am sure that everyones appreciates your efforts.

There is just one more question about modding the car, I sent a newer copy of my thread to the Administrators hoping one of them is going to edit it, I mistakenly pasted an older copy of my thread, however looking at your garage :eek: I thought you would have good knowledge about tunning cars, so here it is :

6- I am looking to get an Auto, Thunder Gray, Recaro's, Track Package, Polished Rims (Can I powder coat these black?), Navigation Package, Ebony/Ebony interior. However I am considering a light Modification such as, a Full Cat Back System, what other mods can I install without affecting the car life expectancy, ride quality, response and without voiding the warranty ? Also to what power range can the Auto Handel ? Is the Manual the Strict way to go if I am considering modding the car ? Just saw a Twin Turbo V10 M5 with 800 HP+ without any mentioned changes to the SMG gear which is known from some issues, similar to those found in the GTR (Breaks quickly using the launch system).

-Omar

Short-Throw
12-20-08, 07:27 PM
6- I am considering a light Modification such as, a Full Cat Back System, what other mods can I install without affecting the car life expectancy, ride quality, response and without voiding the warranty ? Also to what power range can the Auto Handel ?
-Omar

Manufacturers in general are scrutinizing every warranty claim more than they ever have.

GM has stepped up their no-tolerance policy to mods recently. This has been noted most recently with the Z06's. There is even new language regarding the new ZR-1 use in the owners manual.

What are you going to be using this car for? It sounds like daily driving. The CTS-V comes with a 7/100K warranty. That's a long time and a lot of miles. If you value the warranty, I suggest you do not touch the car, cat-back system excluded.

What reason are you looking to mod the car?

Increasing the power or performance will locate a weak leak in the chain somewhere. For example, performance cars are calibrated with the designated tire slip from full throttle starts. Adding more grip with stickier tires, transfers more stress down the drive-train. Leaning out an engine can lead to shortened engine life.

For the record, I love modding cars, but everything has a ripple effect. You usually need to change more than one thing to counter-balance the new parameters. This car ran N-ring in 8 minutes. Try matching that before you strap on more power. :)

As far as what power can the drive-train hold? How much money do you want to gamble on it?

Mike

BAZ007
12-20-08, 09:56 PM
Manufacturers in general are scrutinizing every warranty claim more than they ever have.

GM has stepped up their no-tolerance policy to mods recently. This has been noted most recently with the Z06's. There is even new language regarding the new ZR-1 use in the owners manual.

What are you going to be using this car for? It sounds like daily driving. The CTS-V comes with a 7/100K warranty. That's a long time and a lot of miles. If you value the warranty, I suggest you do not touch the car, cat-back system excluded.

What reason are you looking to mod the car?

Increasing the power or performance will locate a weak leak in the chain somewhere. For example, performance cars are calibrated with the designated tire slip from full throttle starts. Adding more grip with stickier tires, transfers more stress down the drive-train. Leaning out an engine can lead to shortened engine life.

For the record, I love modding cars, but everything has a ripple effect. You usually need to change more than one thing to counter-balance the new parameters. This car ran N-ring in 8 minutes. Try matching that before you strap on more power. :)

As far as what power can the drive-train hold? How much money do you want to gamble on it?

Mike

Well mike, I am aware that changing one thing will need several other changes to counter balance it, however, changing the cat back system was mainly to get a better look, few more ponies without harming the car,and maybe, a better exhaust note, although the stock one is very solid.

No, I wont gamble on it, reason i was asking how much can the Engine/Drive train hold was to just stay on the safe side, I am looking to use the car as a daily driver, but also to have fun while I can, take it to the track on weekends and getting the most out of it, with the least collateral damage from modding, if you get what I mean.

Lets say I am looking for a healthy 5 years experience with the car, if you think you would recommend any mods at all to get the most out of the car, without really compromising its durability, what would the modifications be ?
What other modifications would you recommend to increase durability ? would the stock Auto Drivetrain/Suspensions, need any modifications with the mods you are recommending for such intended use/aimed life expectancy ?

-Omar

Nutz
12-20-08, 11:04 PM
Wow nice response Short throw!:thumbsup:
Omar, :welcome5: I would like to add that if your gonna powdercoat the wheels, don't order the polished ones as you mentioned, get the base silver painted ones. And the Recaro's are on hold now, so prepare for a possible extended delivery time if you include Recaro's in your order. :thumbsup:

I drove one, and my car is now in the classifieds for sale here. That should give you some idea too. Go ahead, treat yourself to one of the finest American cars ever built. I'm gonna, and I don't own an oil well either.

the cadillac kid
12-20-08, 11:11 PM
Omar,
there are some people that have already said they will be doing a pulley swap/heads/cam/tune as soon as possible, and there are also those that will not touch this car with any modifications. I think you probably fit in between there somewhere.

I understand your concern about the appearance of the rear & distinguishing it from a standard CTS. Well, no one's going to get close enough to get a good look at it anyway :histeric: No, but seriously, if you're going to track this car, you'll probably go with some different tires other than stock ones. Wider wheels & tires will definitely make the rear look a lot more aggressive, as well as help you put more of those 556 horses to the floor. Also, I don't think you'll have any problems from your dealer about appearance modifications, so you should be fine if you decide to only slap on some Exhaust tips (Corsa makes some great looking dual tips, pick up to of those & the rear of the car will change a whole lot).

Welcome to the forum, i guess? :hmm: :lol:

(For the record, I did not have any trouble, at all, understanding your posts).

-Mike

BAZ007
12-20-08, 11:47 PM
Thanks guys,

Well I don't mind waiting for a bit, more time to get a larger downpayment I assume, however, no one told me if there is any anticipation for a big price drop with GM financial problems ?

the cadillac kid
12-21-08, 02:24 AM
I'm sure some others will come along that can give you better info than I can on this subject, but GM & Chrysler are going to be seeing some bailout money, so I wouldn't expect a price drop on the V next year. But, i would wait until next year anyway... wait til the 09s have gone out and Cadillac has worked the bugs out based on consumer feedback and whatnot. Another plus would be that, by then, there will hopefully be some aftermarket goodies and support available for the car too.

Razorecko
12-21-08, 02:45 AM
I would expect that the most reliable initial mods that can be done to the cts-v would be the ones that would try to replicate the motor to the same spec as the ZR-1, ie wet system, etc. They would be expensive but to get that 100hp increase that would be the most reliable route. Outside of that the safest, most reversible mods are usually exhaust, intake system, low temp tstat, and a proven tune. Those are easily the most reversible if necessary. After that I would go to a more cooling induction style hood and maybe a smaller drop in suspension ;).....But than who am i to talk as I just sent out a payment for a vortech supercharger for my srt jeep.....Oh and short throw/mike is correct about the warranty issue. ALL manufacturers are cracking down on any non oem part as it will be the easiest route for them to take in avoiding warranty work.

BAZ007
12-21-08, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the info,

When would the 2010 CTS-V be roughly available, is it June/July 2009 ??

TheGeeman
12-21-08, 11:13 AM
There is a lot of talk about the 2010 CTS-V. I'm not sure there will be one. A Democrat president and Congress now has oversight of GM. There already is a $2600 gas guzzler tax. The V series has always been an image maker for GM. I suspect it has never directly made a significant contribution to the bottom line. With the Democrats emphasis on fuel economy and green cars and considering they now have direct control of the purse strings, the CTS-V is going to be short lived.

I think GM will survive and be around to support the car. The President Elect will protect the UAW. If you recall his recent speech about the bailout, he criticized management but said nothing about the union.

Donít count on a 2010 CTS-V.

Glenn

ExtraV
12-21-08, 01:23 PM
4- Is it just me or does the car looks pretty nice from the front and the sides, but not so much from the Rear ??!? its just looks like a regular CTS, except for the V badge and the reflective lights !!! I really was hoping for a quad exhaust tips just for the aggressive look and maybe a better note, but is it just the pictures, or does it really look a lot like a regular CTS ??

-Omar

I get that same impression. Really good from the front and the side, but the rear is a little too much caddy.

I think the rear caddy emblem should go. Maybe the big chrome strip. Not really sure.

ExtraV
12-21-08, 01:26 PM
They will continue to make the CTS-V. If it was an entirely different car at a different plant, then maybe not, but it runs down the same line as the regular CTS and is easy to build. And we all know they won't stop making the CTS any time soon.

vmaniac
12-21-08, 09:56 PM
Just get the damn V2 1-you won't be sorry. Who cares about a backup camera - no one will be behind you.

RapidRob
12-21-08, 11:11 PM
Just get the damn V2 1-you won't be sorry. Who cares about a backup camera - no one will be behind you.

:histeric::histeric::histeric:

Rob

BAZ007
12-22-08, 12:16 AM

Well, as I stated, this was one Luxury feature I was anticipating to be available as an option, but its not a make or break issue as I mentioned, it's just one of the minor concerns and how would it be possible to over-come it.

I realize super cars don't have these, well because they are mainly for heavy sport use, this is a Super Luxury Sedan and it should be equipped with it !!!

However now I am just wondering if its worth holding out for a 2010 model or not, I always advocated to not get a first line product, to avoid the malfunctions and issues, well I hope that the 2010 model isn't far and will be equipped with some of the missing features I was hoping for, and by the time reliable and variety of modifications will be available.

-No I am not going to wait for a 2011 model, it's either 2009 or 2010, just trying to figure if there are going to be anything different about the 2010 model or not, now that I have known that moving from my 2008 G35 to a CTS-V2 is indeed moving to another league of driving pleasure.

-Omar

darjae
12-22-08, 12:32 AM
I'm not disappointed at any level, but I really thought it would have the backup cam'. I've got a lot of friends with cars much less impressive (infiniti, lexus) who have it. Hopefully there is a "hack" in the system to allow an external camera to be connected to the system.....but for now, I'll just turn my head and use my eyes :)