: No longer a Cadillac driver....but still an owner

90Brougham350
12-20-08, 02:40 PM
The '94 FWB is gone. I sold it a few weeks ago. Ruthie and I have been talking about buying a house in the near future. Thanks to the wise advice of many in the RWD forum, we realized we're not quite there yet, but we are in the process of paying off all our debt (except for student loans) first. Ruthie got on the Dave Ramsey boat a while ago, and now that we've been married for a while and we're both making a livable wage, she's convinced me to pay off all our debt. Unfortunely, the FWB needed to go. The body and underbody were so clean, it would have been a shame to put them through a salty winter in Minnesota.

So I picked up a '96 Ford F-150. Extended cab, shortbox Eddie Bauer, dark red over tan. 4.9 liter with the 5-speed, manual locking hubs. I paid $1300 for it, and sent the money I made on the FWB straight to Capital One. I'd post some pics, but I don't have any yet, and it's snowing like hell today.

But my future with Cadillac is far from over. Ruthie still has the 93 DeVille, and while it's definitely been the worst car I've ever owned, there's something about that just feels great to drive. But we won't have the DeVille too much longer, hopefully. Ruthie's being groomed for a position in corporate at Travelers Insurance. If she can land the job (there are 10 positions open and about 20 candidates right now), it'll be a 5 year rotational fast track program, with a lot of travel, and a much higher income. We'll pay off the rest of our debt, so Ruthie can get that 98-03 STS she's become extremely interested in, and so we can buy a house. White Diamond with chrome wheels and massaging seats of course...

Me, I'll own another 94-96 FWB again. I'd love to find a low-mileage triple black. Then again, my favorite Cadillac, the 80-85 FWB d'Elegance coupe would look very nice in the garage as well. But that's years away. So for now, I'm glad I listened to the advice many of you gave us. It might be a little harder to get credit in next few years, but I know it'll be easier with no debt besides student loans. At least we've still got one Cadillac in the family, even if it's horribly unreliable. I sure miss the FWB though, let's just say the 4.9 liter doesn't have quite the same pep....

Brian

http://90brougham350.smugmug.com/photos/397748885_P54So-M.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-20-08, 11:04 PM
Well jeez Brian, it's about time you spill the beans! :p

I shall post this video in memorandum:
NERtR2w8wA4

Remember the good times :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

And the not so good ones... :alchi: :alchi: :vomit: :lildevil::lildevil:

96Fleetwood
12-21-08, 09:32 AM
How much did you get for the FWB? :(

gdwriter
12-21-08, 04:29 PM
Sorry to see the Fleetwood go, but it sounds like you have the right priorities. If you can afford to buy a house, this is an excellent time to buy. Don't know what the real estate market is like in Minnesota, but while sales are slow in Oregon, the values haven't completely plummeted. My house is still worth considerably more than what I paid for it five years ago.

As for the SDV, I can empathize. It seems pretty typical in the first few months that you own an older used car, there's always something breaking. In the first six months I owned Cruella, I replaced the starter, fuel injectors, ignition control module, heater core and radiator. It was very frustrating, especially considering I didn't have much money for repairs.

But once I took care of a lot of the possibly neglected maintenenace items, she turned into a very reliable car. Whatever happened last week with the theft-deterrent system may have been my own damn fault or just a fluke.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-22-08, 03:38 AM
Well now what are you three hooligans (You, Chad and Tanner) gonna pile into to get to the next Caddy meet?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-22-08, 02:35 PM
I think Tanner still has that triple blue '93 Coupe deVille, so maybe that. Otherwise whatever sort of Caddy Ruthie has, provided she has her Trans Am and her Cadillac is relegated to "winter car" status, freeing it up for us to use.

Otherwise, if push comes to shove, it'll be the S Class. The F150 is in great shape, but it's gonna cost us a ton more in gas compared to the S, plus it's a F150 versus an S Class...which would you rather take a road trip in?

nickc50310
12-22-08, 04:17 PM
I almost sold my CTS but still wouldve done the midwest meet again. This year will be in Chicago. I look forward to seein all of you!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
12-22-08, 04:26 PM
Here's the only half decent picture I have of the truck. I took this the day that I went along with Brian for the test drive.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/November2008022.jpg

And there's the old workhorse.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/November2008025.jpg

90Brougham350
12-22-08, 08:48 PM
How much did you get for the FWB? :(

$2700. For the high mileage, (184,000), I guess I can't complain.

Sorry to see the Fleetwood go, but it sounds like you have the right priorities. If you can afford to buy a house, this is an excellent time to buy. Don't know what the real estate market is like in Minnesota, but while sales are slow in Oregon, the values haven't completely plummeted. My house is still worth considerably more than what I paid for it five years ago.

As for the SDV, I can empathize. It seems pretty typical in the first few months that you own an older used car, there's always something breaking. In the first six months I owned Cruella, I replaced the starter, fuel injectors, ignition control module, heater core and radiator. It was very frustrating, especially considering I didn't have much money for repairs.

But once I took care of a lot of the possibly neglected maintenenace items, she turned into a very reliable car. Whatever happened last week with the theft-deterrent system may have been my own damn fault or just a fluke.

Yeah, I'd love to see the SDV turn into a great car that we'll remember fondly someday. I really like the car, it's just a joy to drive, there's something about it that just feels good. I just wish it hadn't needed so much work all at one time. But people around here (especially you Gary, and Dirt Cheap) have been alot of help so far with it, you called it on the ignition module.

I almost sold my CTS but still wouldve done the midwest meet again. This year will be in Chicago. I look forward to seein all of you!

I'd show up in a Yugo just to make it to another meet if I had to!

Brian

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
12-23-08, 07:12 PM

Sweet, I don't have to pay for a hotel and I won't get lost trying to find the damn drag strip. Plus my Fleetwood should be able to make it this year (granted it starts come spring time).

AlBundy
12-23-08, 07:30 PM
Sorry to read about the FWB. Hope everything turns out ok.