: Catera died

katy1011
12-20-08, 01:20 PM
my apologies if this has been posted before. i'm new to the forum and didn't want to have to read every thread.....

my father has a 2000 or so catera and last night the battery light went on, check engine light then went on, and then lost power steering. he was able to limp it to where he was going, but now will not start. i'm seeing that this may happen with cateras, but i want to see if these specific issues occur.

he is probably going to have it towed to the dealership, and i don't want him to get ripped off. he takes excellent care of his car and fortunately has had few problems.

please help:hide:

eastsidercaddy
12-20-08, 02:45 PM
Have the alternator bench tested, and REPLACE the battery terminal connectors. I had this problem recently when i was sitting in my car at my car club and slowly saw the ABC /TC lights come on and knew somthing was wrong. I double checked my aux. water pump on the drivers side right behind the radiator side and re-tightened it. No problems since. I also took the liberty of changing my battery terminals. They were loose and i think the negative cable wasn't connected, draining the battery. Sounds familiar and I'm sure that will cure it. Good Luck!

MyOpel
12-20-08, 04:01 PM
Have you looked under the hood? Is the accessory belt still there?

Po Pimp
12-20-08, 04:04 PM
Have you looked under the hood? Is the accessory belt still there?

That is what I would think too. Battery light on and no power steering. Not starting may just be because the alternator was not recharging the battery.

MyOpel
12-24-08, 11:57 AM
so what was the problem?

katy1011
12-24-08, 02:09 PM
dad bought a new battery on saturday and put that in on sunday (it was about 14 below). it started up but he still had no power steering. so he had it towed to the dealership on monday. (it has been awful weather here in michigan.) car is still there. apparently, a "belt" needed replacing (i asked if it was an accessory belt, but he didn't know). there was an additional problem of perhaps a leak - there was no anti-freeze left and he was worried that the power steering fluid was also leaking. but there were no spots in the garage. so the dealership wanted to get the car running by installing the new belt before they can check for possible leaks.

any ideas?