: Another Rim Question

qictrk
12-19-08, 09:53 PM
I was wondering if anyone has taken their rim and masked it off for powder coating. It doesn't have to be for the 2009. I just want to know if its possible. I'm thinking of taking the stock rim and powder coating the center spokes body color or black, and leaveing the center hub and outer rim stock. Not really sure they can tape it off to look clean. Cecil..........

darjae
12-19-08, 10:06 PM
on a related note, Is it simple to have the wheels powder coated? trying to decide if black is the right way to go, but I really like the stock wheel style.

readyact
12-19-08, 10:45 PM
I agree the stock wheels look nice. Usually I don't like stock wheels, but these look great in person.

Razorecko
12-19-08, 11:26 PM
they cant do it with the tire on as the powdercoat needs to be baked at around 400'F

darjae
12-19-08, 11:29 PM
they cant do it with the tire on as the powdercoat needs to be baked at around 400'F

Heh....I made the assumption that the tires would have to be removed..... :)

qictrk
12-20-08, 01:16 AM

Yea, i knew that one. I've done a lot of restoration projects. Maybe someone has some pictures of some wheels they've had done? Cecil........

headpunter
12-20-08, 04:56 AM
im not sure if you can mask off the sections you dont want, but i know alot of wheels that are "two tone" with powdercoating and bare/coated metal are usually powdercoated first and then have sections machined to expose the metal below.

Ketzer
12-20-08, 10:50 AM
They have tape for that, high heat, silcone based. I asked a guy in the biz and he said even though its taped, it doesn't leave a clean line when removed. ( could have been his method/application that caused the rough line, dunno)

Razorecko
12-20-08, 11:35 AM
I would presume for a clean 2 color you'd have to machine it off after the inital coating and than do a clear powdercoat on top